50t Warwell Wagon in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

They'll look great. Even better would be Sultan (armoured command vehicle) or Samaritan (armoured ambulance), as these vehicles are taller than the others on the Scimitar chassis they are more likely to be carried on the warwells. Always on warwells if they still have the roof mounted equipment racks fitted.

Scimitars, Spartans (armoured personnel carrier) and Samson (armoured engineers vehicle) are usually carried on warflats.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I see, I may just have to get some warflats as well then....

Simon

• Like 1

Hi,

I see, I may just have to get some warflats as well then....

Simon

Excellent.

Search youtube for a video shot at Cwmbargoed (thinks that's how it's spelt) of a train of warfats and warwells loaded with CVRTs. Niiiiiice.

Modern warflats currently only available from Genesis kits (white metal). Model Rail magazine once did an etched brass kit which sometimes comes up for sale. There was a whole batch of 9 I think on eBay recently. Really badly assembled with the solebars above the false decks so they were too tall. And spoked wheels. They went cheap, I managed to win one of them and have successfully dismantled it with the intention of rebuilding it properly.

They're not too difficult to scratch build the bodies, sourcing correct bogies not so easy. Appleby Model Engineering used to list them and the end jacks.

• Like 2

Wee Friends/Friendship Models do a cracking late hulled scimitar model in 1/76 as part of their Wee Vehicles range but their website seems to have vanished and it isn't listed on their eBay store - could be worth a message though.

My dilemma is that I'd like some other variants (Spartan, Sultan etc.) but the S&S models will likely look overscale next to the Wee Friends.

Edited by Ragtag

• RMweb Gold

Could anyone suggest which vehicle types I should consider for the 1968 - 1972 period? I'm thinking more of APC's than tanks. Would something like a Saracen be appropriate?

Many thank's, Chris

• Like 1

Could anyone suggest which vehicle types I should consider for the 1968 - 1972 period? I'm thinking more of APC's than tanks. Would something like a Saracen be appropriate?

Many thank's, Chris

Hi Chris

Saracens were produced from 1952 to 1976 so definately suitable.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the replies. No where near my area of expertise, so thank you for the info. Just need to hunt down some kits.

• Like 1

Hi Chris

JB Models made a Saracen, and Saladin which I think Airfix took over. You can still get them on eBay and the like. They don't go for very much money, don't seem to be a popular subject. The kit is a little underscale too, but ok for the money.

Their Land Rover 101 and 105mm gun are very nice. Oxford now do RTR 101s which look good too.

S and S models do all the above for wargamers in 20mm scale, which equates to 1/72.

Hope this helps

Hi all,

I have attached an image of my Hatton's Warwells complete with Warrior loads. Although these are 1/72 scale they fit nicely. I have not put or made any cradles for these tanks to sit on, but I believe Rule 1 applies......

post-30109-0-16752400-1542926720_thumb.jpg

Edited by CB Rail
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Rob

I watched the first MOD train along the Redmire branch through Bedale in 97 or 98 (can't remember which). Stationed at RAF Leeming then. 4 Warflats with warriors on with an EWS inspection saloon either end top and tailed by a Rail-freight Distribution sector class 47 one of which was 47306 The Sapper (all bulled up and lovely!!) Train went very slow, almost walking pace, as the track was very crap. No level crossing gates neither. Blokes in orange with many flags.

Typically I lost the photos when the PC went pop.

Good news. I picked up a copy of "Railways of the Yorkshire Dales"* at a show and on p,68 is a b&w photo of 2 warwells, a warflat, inspection saloon plus 47's about to unload 2 Warriors at Redmire. Dated 14/02/97.

*Michael Blakemore, Atlantic Publishers 2001 ISBN 1 902827 02 3

Only about £2.40 from secondhand outlets e.g. https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9781902827025/Railways-Yorkshire-Dales-Backtrack-Byways-1902827023/plp

Lovely pic of Y3 Sentinel with 6 wheel milk tanks on p.65!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the suggestions, I have now got a small squadron of Scimitars from S&S models on the way to me!

Simon

Hi,

Here they are all painted up and sat on my 4 warwells:

post-7271-0-03448600-1546172775_thumb.jpg

I did start adding the securing straps, but I couldn't get them to sit right, so I gave up, they look nice though!

Simon

• Like 9

• 9 months later...

Was just wondering (& if it's already been asked / answered in the thread previously, I apologise for not scouring the thread more closely), but does anyone know in what quantities the warwells were originally allocated to the big four? We are always told that the LMS had the biggest fleet of freight wagons, followed by the LNER, GWR & finally SR. So did the LMS get the biggest allocation of warwells? I originally purchased the three initial warwells that Hattons produced, but I'm toying with getting a fourth & hence I wondering which of the three company warwells might be best to get?

Cheers, Mike C 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...