50t Warwell Wagon in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

On 11/05/2020 at 16:59, Pegleg90 said:

Hatton’s Dave, any plans to do another run of the modern day version of these wagons? Pristine and or weathered? 

They still have the 1990s versions with gps bogies, for sale on the website.   Pristine and weathered. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, KDG said:

They still have the 1990s versions with gps bogies, for sale on the website.   Pristine and weathered. 

The 2000’s version would require a repaint, consequently re-lettering,  though as it had prominent yellow ends and a different base colour ;) 

I guess a rerun may depend on several liveries needing a restock? 
I bodged a 2000 one from the 90’s one by washes to get the colour close, yellow ends and weathering but most will want the right decals too. 
I’d certainly have a couple more as the wait for the Oxford one that hinted at the correct wider deck extensions ended up without them and non parallel axles and a colour that was way out. Hence bodging the 90’s one. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

How long did these wagons last in the 1990's livery?  I guess my question is when were the wider deck extensions fitted and when they were fitted, were all wagons so treated at the same time, or was there a period when the 1990s version would have appeared alongside the later modified wagons?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/10/2016 at 14:32, Hattons Dave said:

Hi PrestburyJack,

The eras are shown on each product page, but a more in depth summary is below.

post-28458-0-38314400-1476451914.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

As Dave’s early post they lasted into the early 2000’s, so there would be some crossover,  but if modelling the last 15 years you really want the modern version. 
The 90’s and 2000’s versions would have had the wider deck. Oxford listed many of the mods, with the deck up top of the list, and said they’d be producing ‘some’ of them which quite a few hoped meant the wider deck the Hattons ones lack. Unfortunately it came out near identical with the wonky bogies and the wrong colour and naturally the Hattons one had sold out by then! ;) 
Just waiting and hoping they do more to go with the Cavalex warflats. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We've no current plans to release more Warwells but its not something we're ruling out in the future.

I'd recommend signing up for a wishlist alert on the 2000s vehicles (H4-WW-018 to 020) in case we receive any as pre-owned items in the meantime.

Thanks for the feedback,

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

The 90’s and 2000’s versions would have had the wider deck. 

So the modifications that included fitting a wider deck would have been 1991 / 92?  That therefore  means that the 1990's version is as 'inaccurate' for a 1990s layout as the 2000's version is for a layout set in the 21st century.

Since most of my stock represents the first decade of the 21st century, I'm probably better waiting for a re-run of the 2000's version, even if Hattons currently have no plans for a future run.  That may have changed by the time I've built a layout on which to run them!!!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hello

Would the Stalwart vehicles have been moved by rail on Warwells in the 1980s?

CHeers

George

• Like 1

Hello

Thank-you very much for that Mark. I was a bit worried as it looks a bit too wide but the photographic evidence is more than good enough for me.

Cheers

George

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Dunno if it helps but the S&M stalwart comes out very nicely.  Certainly not a shake the box kit and requires some proper modelling.  It will also stand a little bit of additional detailing, too.  Here is the first of my two Mk IIs.  The only tricky bit I found was the transparent cab: I 'painted' the outside of the windows with maskol first to give me a decent, visible outline to work to and then painted the three separate side panels on the inside, freehand, whilst still flat.  Also, build the panels up around the roof panel: don't try to build them around the floor - it is too wide: the cab sits on the floor.  I've seen a couple built the other way, with lots of filler and it doesn't look good!   Hoping to get on and paint the finished article over the Christmas break.  Interesting vehicles; plenty of pictures around  of them passing through Salisbury on warwells in the 1980s.  I intend to do the limber version next, though with a different Hyab crane to the one offered in the kit.  I have vivid memories of stalwarts around the roads of Salisbury on driver training and seeing bright orange flames shooting up out of the exhaust stack when pulling away from traffic lights!

20181016_191816.jpg.014e881be10c4d6ac3badee4d08c6444.jpg

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
On 21/12/2020 at 20:20, Grampus said:

Dunno if it helps but the S&M stalwart comes out very nicely.  Certainly not a shake the box kit and requires some proper modelling.  It will also stand a little bit of additional detailing, too.  Here is the first of my two Mk IIs.  The only tricky bit I found was the transparent cab: I 'painted' the outside of the windows with maskol first to give me a decent, visible outline to work to and then painted the three separate side panels on the inside, freehand, whilst still flat.  Also, build the panels up around the roof panel: don't try to build them around the floor - it is too wide: the cab sits on the floor.  I've seen a couple built the other way, with lots of filler and it doesn't look good!   Hoping to get on and paint the finished article over the Christmas break.  Interesting vehicles; plenty of pictures around  of them passing through Salisbury on warwells in the 1980s.  I intend to do the limber version next, though with a different Hyab crane to the one offered in the kit.  I have vivid memories of stalwarts around the roads of Salisbury on driver training and seeing bright orange flames shooting up out of the exhaust stack when pulling away from traffic lights!

20181016_191816.jpg.014e881be10c4d6ac3badee4d08c6444.jpg

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Paul

12 minutes ago, KDG said:

Awesome looking machines ^^^^^

I have one of these kits (as yet unmade). Its of the limber version and I agree the Hiab is a bit skinny and it needs replacing.

Must admit I have yet to find a picture of one equipped with the Hiab in the kit: most of the ones I have seen feature the crane in a stowed position, which is the look I would like to capture.  Don't know whether it is the same crane, just folded up, or a different piece of kit entirely.  Should think the kit part is a good starting point (and you get one in both versions of the kit in any case, which is handy in the event of accidents or incompetence (on my part!)  I am certainly enjoying looking at pictures of the real thing and then playing 'spot the difference' with the kit (and then deciding how much more detailing I want to add!)

Happy modelling,

Paul

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I hope nobody minds me putting a link to my wanted item as I'm after one of the original release GWR version.

If you don't have any luck Robin, you might want to consider getting hold of the LMS and/or NE versions (on sale at Hattons at the mo) - as far as I understand it, the Warwells weren't restricted just to the operating area of the company they were officially loaned to...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 24/11/2020 at 19:15, markw said:

Like this

MODA 230983

Mark,  thank you for posting this image.  It answers a question I had about what happened to the wing mirrors during rail journeys: it shows them clearly, folded back against the cab sides to stay within the loading gauge.  That makes life easier from a modelling perspective: previously I had thought they were removed entirely.  It is fair to say that the mirrors in the S and M kit are one of the weaker areas of the model, mounted on overly thick arms (for strength on what is, to be fair, a fragile part).  I can now dispense with the moulded arms and stick the mirrors to the hull sides, with some thin wire to represent the arms in the folded position.

Cheers,

Paul

• Like 2

On 22/12/2020 at 22:08, PhilJ W said:

I'm looking at motorising one and fitting remote control. 

Wow!  Just seen your other thread on motorising  1/76th vehicles - that would be amazing;  will look forward to seeing it.

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Grampus said:

Wow!  Just seen your other thread on motorising  1/76th vehicles - that would be amazing;  will look forward to seeing it.

Best wishes,

Paul

Its not my thread its someone elses though I have contributed I hope in a positive way. If I do motorise one its going to be a bit basic with skid steering, at the moment its still unmade in the box. At the moment I have a R-T-R radio controlled car and I have given similar to a friends 12 year old son and the next project is something to run them on (Both are 00 scale). 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 13/05/2020 at 09:36, Hattons Dave said:

Hi all,

We've no current plans to release more Warwells but its not something we're ruling out in the future.

I'd recommend signing up for a wishlist alert on the 2000s vehicles (H4-WW-018 to 020) in case we receive any as pre-owned items in the meantime.

Thanks for the feedback,

Cheers

Dave

That’s a shame as I want some 1980s vintage versions

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 19/02/2021 at 05:31, ess1uk said:

That’s a shame as I want some 1980s vintage versions

1970's  olive  green one on ebay at the moment, also still available from Hattons

Edited by steveb860
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 years later...