50t Warwell Wagon in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Have a look at this very short review and running session. https://youtu.be/ZMpk66gBC3s[/font][/color]

Love that video! Love the military goods trains and the loco pulling them! Just my cup of tea! ;) Would love Hornby to bring back the WD tank wagon, I see them on ebay now and again but they always seem a bit pricey for what I presume is quite a dated model?

Edit: I hope this trend of wartime models continues for a while, I wonder what sparked it? :)

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 1

Love that video! Love the military goods trains and the loco pulling them! Just my cup of tea! ;) Would love Hornby to bring back the WD tank wagon, I see them on ebay now and again but they always seem a bit pricey for what I presume is quite a dated model?

Edit: I hope this trend of wartime models continues for a while, I wonder what sparked it? :)

Hi and many thanks, yes I very much like the WD tank as well, like you say not easily available at a fair price these days. Glad you enjoyed the video. Are you going to hazard a guess at the number of photos used in the animated bit and the classes of locos seen :)

Hi and many thanks, yes I very much like the WD tank as well, like you say not easily available at a fair price these days. Glad you enjoyed the video. Are you going to hazard a guess at the number of photos used in the animated bit and the classes of locos seen :)

Goodness knows how many photos you used but it was a great idea! Hmm locos, my knowledge isn't quite as substantial as others here but Did I see a P Class at 4.38? 5.20-5.40 is that a piar of Ns or Us ?  then later no. 2495 at first I thought E4 but then I thought it looked a bit longer and thinner? So perhaps one of the other E numbers? I couldn't tell you difference off the top of my head aha. Are the two WD wagons at the end of the goods train kit built? 

More wartime rolling stock please to any manufactures listening! ;) 

The W^D tank wagon was used by ICI - but it may have carried traffic to ordnance factories.

post-2274-0-70556900-1499087132_thumb.jpg

I can supply W^D transfers for application to repainted 20T tank wagons, which can often be found cheap in other liveries; see Sheet BL118 at https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm.

You may also be interested in Sheet BL161.

post-2274-0-05144300-1499087187_thumb.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2

Suggestions for some alternatives to the Sherman:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115836-hattons-warwell-wagon-in-oo-and-o-gauge/page-3&do=findComment&comment=2469109

(although very much Sherman related.)

And for a somewhat  cheaper but still prototypical  train with warflats or warwells. You'll  only need to buy three warwells instead of nine. Headquarters train: 

http://www.railalbum.co.uk/railway-wagons/military/ww2-warflat-train-gwr-1.htm

Although warwells are not shown in the diagram, an British armoured unit equipped with Shermans (and more than half of them were), would have needed warwells instead of warflats.

Only thing missing now are ramp wagons. Over to you, Hatton's...

I converted a ramp wagon from a single plank wagon kit from Parkside Dundas.  Removed the single plank side, added a little detail to the deck and added mock stabilisers at one end.  I found a couple of photos and just copied the photo.  Gramodels resin kits produce a ramp wagon kit I think.  At least last time I spoke to Graham he was certainly building one after he had seen my scratch built effort. I will check out his website and let you know

I converted a ramp wagon from a single plank wagon kit from Parkside Dundas.  Removed the single plank side, added a little detail to the deck and added mock stabilisers at one end.  I found a couple of photos and just copied the photo.  Gramodels resin kits produce a ramp wagon kit I think.  At least last time I spoke to Graham he was certainly building one after he had seen my scratch built effort. I will check out his website and let you know

I have just looked at Gramodel website and item 00411 Ramp Wagon kit is available in 4mm scale.  I suspect you need to add wheels and brass cups etc.  Not sure.  They also do a War Flat resin wagon bodyand diamond framed bogies etc.

Goodness knows how many photos you used but it was a great idea! Hmm locos, my knowledge isn't quite as substantial as others here but Did I see a P Class at 4.38? 5.20-5.40 is that a piar of Ns or Us ?  then later no. 2495 at first I thought E4 but then I thought it looked a bit longer and thinner? So perhaps one of the other E numbers? I couldn't tell you difference off the top of my head aha. Are the two WD wagons at the end of the goods train kit built? 

More wartime rolling stock please to any manufactures listening! ;)

Hi again, well yes you got the P class right, and there was both a U and a N, 2495 is indeed a E4 and there was the GW 56xx class :)

Ok, one of my earlier efforts, but I think Shapeways still produce it.

1/76 Ramp Wagon

post-13109-0-88548300-1499113231_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-03850800-1499113255_thumb.jpg

Must be nearly 4 or 5 years since I brought these out now.

Obvious connections to Wild Boar Models stated...

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 3

I am thinking of getting a couple of these wagons as I remember seeing them at Eastleigh back in the 80s. I am just wondering what is the difference between a PFB and KWB coded wagon and why doesn't the 70s wagon have a TOPs code or number on the data panel. 

Cheers Peter.

I am just wondering what is the difference between a PFB and KWB coded wagon and why doesn't the 70s wagon have a TOPs code or number on the data panel. 

No physical difference, PFB was the original TOPS code, KWB is the revised code introduced following the 1990 recast of private owner TOPS codes. The number panels weren't initially filled in when fitted, the wagons relying on the yellow number plates for identification. The look is correct for the late 70s/early 80s.

I assume that it has been because of the 100th anniversary of the 1914-18 War.

No physical difference, PFB was the original TOPS code, KWB is the revised code introduced following the 1990 recast of private owner TOPS codes. The number panels weren't initially filled in when fitted, the wagons relying on the yellow number plates for identification. The look is correct for the late 70s/early 80s.

Thanks Simon,

I have had a look at a few pics and it seems some mid 80s wagons have a TOPS code and some don't. I can add a PFB code if i want so will order a couple in the next few days.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

I assume that it has been because of the 100th anniversary of the 1914-18 War.

Which is rather curious, as most models represent WW2, or 'modern' stock, as opposed to vehicles from earlier times.

There are multiple anniversaries of both world wars coming up between now and 2020, and a few beyond. The Warwell though has the virtue of being long lived in service, there's not many items of rolling stock that have seen 75+ years of service.

My MOD Warwells arrived yesterday from Hattons - very nice!

My first job was to remove the overlong standard couplings and fit modified Bachmann E-Z Mate couplings into a shortened NEM coupling box. They are now much closer together, giving about 3mm between buffer heads and allowing reliable movement through my track formations.

I am following this topic with interest with regard to prototypical loads, so much information in such a short time, what a wonderful bunch of enthusiasts on this forum - thanks to all of you for all the ideas, links etc etc!

Mine have just arrived, pity the couplings are so long, not that that detracts from a superb model.

Finally managed to find time to take pics of my modified Bachmann E-Z Mate couplings in a shortened NEM coupling box. I have also tried shortened Bachmann short couplings again with a shortened NEM coupling box - these however severly restrict the movement on curves by fouling the jacks so will stick with the E-Z Mate couplings.

post-6389-0-89263000-1499268722_thumb.jpg

post-6389-0-76730600-1499268742_thumb.jpg

post-6389-0-04284300-1499268760_thumb.jpg

post-6389-0-48873000-1499268774_thumb.jpg

Finally managed to find time to take pics of my modified Bachmann E-Z Mate couplings in a shortened NEM coupling box. I have also tried shortened Bachmann short couplings again with a shortened NEM coupling box - these however severly restrict the movement on curves by fouling the jacks so will stick with the E-Z Mate couplings.

How have you done this?

• Like 1

How have you done this?

As John Isherwood has said (thanks John) I have shortened a NEM box by about 2mm and cut the mounting ring off the straight shank E-Z Mate couplings, I used these rather than NEM couplings as the shank is slimmer and gives a little more clearance on the headstock jacks. You will need a 0.5mm plasticard shim to pack up the coupling shaft to ensure the uncoupling loop clears pointwork and possibly tweek the loop as well. A little of your favorite adhesive will hold it all in place, I did not use super glue as it tends to creep everywhere.

The tension lock couplings are just shortened and pushed into the cut back NEM pocket, but they are only reliable on radii above 950mm.

I will try to post some pics this evening when my feet touch the ground!

Edited by Martin_R
  • Like 1

I have received my two excellent Hattons Warwells and have loaded them with Airfix Bedford MK kits which have been modified to be "in guage" when riding on the wagons, the strapping is made from ordinary vehicle re-spray masking tape cut into very thin strips (2mm) the Shackels have been made from unused staples suitably bent up using snipe nosed plyers and then mounted in suitably sized holes drilled in the undersides of the Bedfords, and in the apropriate position on the Warwells (please see photo below),Be warned it is a very fiddly job bearing in mind the self-adhesive qualities of the very thin masking tape and its desire to stick to anything and everything when you dont want it to, and refusing to stick to something when you do!! Good luck.

post-5799-0-33736700-1499334083.png

Best regards

Kevin.

• Like 10

As John Isherwood has said (thanks John) I have shortened a NEM box by about 2mm and cut the mounting ring off the straight shank E-Z Mate couplings, I used these rather than NEM couplings as the shank is slimmer and gives a little more clearance on the headstock jacks. You will need a 0.5mm plasticard shim to pack up the coupling shaft to ensure the uncoupling loop clears pointwork and possibly tweek the loop as well. A little of your favorite adhesive will hold it all in place, I did not use super glue as it tends to creep everywhere.

The tension lock couplings are just shortened and pushed into the cut back NEM pocket, but they are only reliable on radii above 950mm.

Thanks, yes any photos etc will make it easier for those who have not done anything like this before, the result of your efforts are really good

Hi again, its ok lol I worked it out and have done similar, many thanks for your guidance.