50t Warwell Wagon in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, cheers again for the feedback so far.

That screw link coupling looks like a solid moulding - can I ask how a tension lock coupling fares with that in place pelase?

The vacuum/air pipes (as applicable) and cosmetic coupling need to be removed for the best performance on set-track curves however on finescale layouts it should be possible to retain the brake pipes dependant on the geometry used. All the parts described are separately fitted.

Appears to be DCC Concepts flex bullhead track.  Flanges in closeup appear to be just skimming the inside chair tops. Bumpy ride? From pix of samples it might run a bit smoother on the PECO version.  Or change the wheels.

We've 'hand rolled' the wagons on Code 100 as well as DCC Concepts 'Legacy' track, standard Peco code 75 and Peco's new bullhead track with no contact between the chairs and the wheels. Its quite hard to describe but the wagons are more free rolling than any I've seen before.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Hi all, a few points thus far:

Hi Andy. Although the physical difference is minimal, adding the second deck style would have significantly increased the sales price as a second chassis would be required to accommodate the strengthening bars, so this is something that we haven't been able to include. 

Hi Brian. Yes! The vac pipe itself will remain (as the vehicles remained through piped) but the erroneously fitted Vac Cylinder won't be present.

Hi Ian. There's no plans at the moment to produce these as the post-1970s Warflats are used more commonly for other military equipment so it isn't currently viable for us to tool them up.

Cheers,

Dave

Hello Dave

Thanks for replying.

That's a shame.   The diamond framed bogied versions all look really good.  You've tooled up different parts to represent the flat bed and bolster versions.   You've also  taken the time and effort to tool up the correct Gloucester  bogies for the post 80's refurbished version, all of the Gloucester bogied refurbished versions had the widened decks.  

It'll be a case of breaking out the micro-strip and super glue to represent post 1980's Warwells.

Best Regards

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Warrior IFVs would be better :-)

Just having the warwells is a step in the right direction. Is there any indication from Bachmann that they'll do a modern Warflat?

Ian_B

Hi Ian

Hattons aren't planning on making the post 80's refurbished Warwells, so Warrior IFV wouldn't be more suitable.  Wrong era / won't fit as the decks are not wide enough to safely load them.  AFVs from the 80's like FV432, Stalwart, Saracen, Samaritan, Sultan and Combat Engineering Tractors, which are available from S and S models, would fit better.

It looks like Oxford rail are planning on making a more suitable Warwell to carry Warriors though....

No indication yet of a modern Warflat from Bachmann....Genesis kits offer a reasonably straightforward kit until RTR becomes available.

Hattons aren't planning on making the post 80's refurbished Warwells, so Warrior IFV wouldn't be more suitable.  Wrong era / won't fit as the decks are not wide enough to safely load them.

Unless I've missed something, the refurbished Warwell will in fact be produced (see here). There was some question of their not modifying the tooling to suit, though.

Ed

Edited by South-East Rail

Unless I've missed something, the refurbished Warwell will in fact be produced (see here). There was some question of their not modifying the tooling to suit, though.

Ed

Hi Ed

Please have a look at post 116 / 117.  I asked about the post 80's refurbished Warwells. Hattons' Dave said they weren't tooling up the widened decks as the differences were "minimal".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the diamond framed versions (1943 - 1976 ish, or the Gloucester GPS bogied version (1970s - 1980s), those 2 versions look fantastic and I'm probably going to order some, but they don't correctly represent the Warwells as used now with the widened decks presumably done to facilitate carrying Warrior vehicles.

Hi Ed

Please have a look at post 116 / 117.  I asked about the post 80's refurbished Warwells. Hattons' Dave said they weren't tooling up the widened decks as the differences were "minimal".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the diamond framed versions (1943 - 1976 ish, or the Gloucester GPS bogied version (1970s - 1980s), those 2 versions look fantastic and I'm probably going to order some, but they don't correctly represent the Warwells as used now with the widened decks presumably done to facilitate carrying Warrior vehicles.

Oh I see what you mean - the Warwells decorated in their current guise will have an inaccurate tooling. My apologies if I came across rather brusque.

Ed

For someone who is not entirely familiar with the details of the prototype wagons, what is the difference between the model that Hattons are producing and the version recently announced by Oxford Rail?  Are they the same prototype or do they represent slightly different versions of Warwell?

For someone who is not entirely familiar with the details of the prototype wagons, what is the difference between the model that Hattons are producing and the version recently announced by Oxford Rail?  Are they the same prototype or do they represent slightly different versions of Warwell?

They're both the same type of wagon, and both will be available with the original diamond-frame bogie (as used into the early 1980s), and the Gloucester GPS25 type with which some were rebuilt (along with air brakes) from the late 1970s. However, some (possibly all) of the rebogied wagons were fitted with side extensions to the decks in the early 1990s; Oxford seem to be doing these. Does anyone have photos of the prototype fitted with widened decks?

Hello David

As Brian has said both Oxfords' and Hattons' versions represent the same wagon.

Hello Brian

Paul Barletts' excellent site has many photos, unfortunately as a relative newbie to this site I've not yet worked out how  to add links.

Edit: links now added see posts below.

Edited by KDG

They're both the same type of wagon, and both will be available with the original diamond-frame bogie (as used into the early 1980s), and the Gloucester GPS25 type with which some were rebuilt (along with air brakes) from the late 1970s. However, some (possibly all) of the rebogied wagons were fitted with side extensions to the decks in the early 1990s; Oxford seem to be doing these. Does anyone have photos of the prototype fitted with widened decks?

Warriors need the special cradle as well, in order to raise the tracks above platform height. Looks like those will need to be  scratchbuilt if you want Warriors as a load.

Ian_B

Thanks, I thought they were the same wagon when I saw the Oxford Rail announcement, but wasn't sure.  How do you know that Oxford Rail are producing a version with the side extensions?  Looking at the descriptions on their website, apart from the triple pack (OR76WW004) having MODA prefixes and being TOPS coded KWA, I don't see any specific reference to these being the latest variant of these wagons.  I'm assuming that these may, like the versions proposed by Hattons, be the same body with a current or recent livery.  Happy to be proved wrong by those who are more knowlegable.

Hi David

We don't know for sure whether the triple pack of MODA prefix KWA wagons will be correctly represented with the widened decks.  All the images I have seen published so far are too blurred to make out the detail.

I'm not even sure whether the Oxford rail version is different to the Hattons version, they have been known to collaborate on other projects before.

The one thing that makes me think they might be separate projects is the Oxford rail pictures showed rivet detail on the sideframes, whereas the Hattons' images didn't.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

A slightly larger box than usual was on my desk this morning containing the first EPs of the O gauge Warwells. As with the OO gauge versions shown previously, these do not contain all of the very fine detail that will be present on the finished model but show the major tooling variations that need to be present.

Photos are below (click the thumbnails for BIGGER images.) and full details are available on our website Here.

Cheers,

Dave

post-28458-0-88688500-1496239978_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-05529200-1496239987_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-05031600-1496239996_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-16619100-1496240002_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-06762700-1496240007_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

For those of you who may have deciphered our intercepted message last week, I can confirm that our OO Gauge Warwells are on the way to Widnes and will arrive with us early next week for immediate dispatch and sale. We've added photos to our full listings on the main website here (where we are still taking Pre-Orders) however a few BIGGER images are available below.

For full details, please check our Main Listings Here.

Cheers,

Dave

post-28458-0-94711000-1497438755_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-03603100-1497438758_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-08186700-1497438760_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-00923300-1497438762_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-47971800-1497438764_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi all,

For those of you who may have deciphered our intercepted message last week, I can confirm that our OO Gauge Warwells are on the way to Widnes and will arrive with us early next week for immediate dispatch and sale. We've added photos to our full listings on the main website here (where we are still taking Pre-Orders) however a few BIGGER images are available below.

For full details, please check our Main Listings Here.

Cheers,

Dave

attachicon.gifH4-WW-002_1.JPG

attachicon.gifH4-WW-009_1.JPG

attachicon.gifH4-WW-011_1.JPG

attachicon.gifH4-WW-014_1.JPG

attachicon.gifH4-WW-020_1.JPG

OMG...

• Like 1