Frothing for 2017

Crepello

Has there been any further word on the J72 following the initial announcement?

I discussed it with the new designer (Steve I think from memory and apologies if memory is failing!)  at the N Gauge Society AGM. There is most definitely design work ongoing, he was telling me just how small it is compared to something like the Jinty and the challenges that presented mechanism wise. That was clearly around six months ago, so hopefully it has progressed some more in the intervening period.

The good news is that the J72 is one of only a few in backlog that we have yet to see an EP of, so fingers crossed.

Regards

Roy.

• Like 1

The good news is that the J72 is one of only a few in backlog that we have yet to see an EP of, so fingers crossed.

There's quite a few of those outstanding that we've not yet seen EPs of. In addition to the J72, off the top of my head, I can think of the following I don't recall seeing an EP of yet:

Class 319

Birdcage coaches

Mk2F coaches

Class 70 with revised air intakes

Hawksworth coaches

DBSO

G.

• RMweb Gold

There's quite a few of those outstanding that we've not yet seen EPs of. In addition to the J72, off the top of my head, I can think of the following I don't recall seeing an EP of yet:

Hawksworth coaches

G.

Do you mean the Hawksworth Autocoach? If so there were livery samples of those on display at Warley and they are due early this year. The Hawksworth coaching stock has been out for a while now. 

The Mk.2Fs/DBSO and the Birdcage stock (which I'd forgotten about!) are the only coaching stock still to be seen in EP form I believe.

Tom. 

Do you mean the Hawksworth Autocoach? If so there were livery samples of those on display at Warley and they are due early this year. The Hawksworth coaching stock has been out for a while now. 

The Mk.2Fs/DBSO and the Birdcage stock (which I'd forgotten about!) are the only coaching stock still to be seen in EP form I believe.

Hawksworths out eh? Ooops. Now I know. Being if no interest to me it's not something I'd have noticed, but it still leaves a list of five I can think of (so there may be others), two of which are ranges consisting of more than one model variant.

I'd certainly like to see some progress reported on them this coming weekend. I'm going to the more local roadshow presentation the following week so will also get a firsthand look then.

G.

Hawksworths out eh? Ooops. Now I know. Being if no interest to me it's not something I'd have noticed, but it still leaves a list of five I can think of (so there may be others), two of which are ranges consisting of more than one model variant.

I'd certainly like to see some progress reported on them this coming weekend. I'm going to the more local roadshow presentation the following week so will also get a firsthand look then.

G.

And they are the best coaches in N gauge to date. Detail is incredible, but price is very high.

• RMweb Gold

Just a small amount of froth here, well, more like a few bubbles really: a Mk1 RMB in InterCity colours to go with the Mk1s and 2Ds (whenever they materialise).

Proof that frothing can work sometimes

Seriously disappointed by the lack of anything even vaguely western related.

SR modelers get a C Class

LMS fans get an 8F

LNER-leaning modelers get Thompson coaches.

What about us poor GWR fans? Absolutely nothing. Yet again no City of Truro, no Maroon Hawksworths and not even a 117 which would at least be suitable for the transition era.

I know the Castle and Autocoach are coming but they were announced ~4 years ago and there has been nothing else announced since. :(

Edited by Karhedron

Seriously disappointed by the lack of anything even vaguely western related.

What about us poor GWR fans? Absolutely nothing. Yet again no City of Truro, no Maroon Hawksworths and not even a 117 which would at least be suitable for the transition era.

There's recently been released the Pannier 64xx and GWR 12t china clay wagons and due soon are the Castle and GWR Auto-coach. There are other era/regions with less.

G

And the NSE Mk1s due in the next few months are more WR than they are anything else. The Thames & Chiltern fleet accounted for the bulk of the Mk1s in NSE livery.

From the photos the TSO and BSK are Cobblers, only the FK is Paddington stocj.

• RMweb Gold

Continuing the 'froth' theme, with the new 8F needing a new 4000gal tender moulding for the DCC & Sound gubbins, I wonder if Bachmann might now be tempted to utilise this at a later date and re-tool the black 5 & Jubilee to loco drive. The current Black 5 is not bad, but the mechanism lets it down compared to more recent releases and I'm sure a sound fitted version would go down well. 

Tom. 

Gutted we have no prospects of a Class 117 or any multi car suburban First generation DMU. I can't understand when it's been one of the most wanted N gauge models for a couple of years now, & what makes me frustrated it's being done in OO

I wonder if Dapol might do one seen as they almost have the tooling with their Class 121/122 units....

On the plus side, glad to see we have an InterCity livery Mark 1 Buffet

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 1977joey

• RMweb Premium

Maybe we should close this thread now and use ''Farish announce C Class....''  for comments on the new releases or the lack of them?

Perhaps we should start one for 2018 Frothers and title it ''Bachmann to Read Please''!

I discussed it with the new designer (Steve I think from memory and apologies if memory is failing!) at the N Gauge Society AGM. There is most definitely design work ongoing, he was telling me just how small it is compared to something like the Jinty and the challenges that presented mechanism wise. That was clearly around six months ago, so hopefully it has progressed some more in the intervening period.

Regards

Roy.

Thanks very much for that update Roy, I'm looking forward to it arriving. Hopefully it won't be too long until we see some official progress.

Cheers,

David

I've never been particularly in favour or in agreement with that phrase. It rather implies that anything goes if it is far enough away not to see it properly (especially if one suffers with myopia) or is rushing past in a blur. Consequently it becomes an excuse for inaccuracies and lack of detail. 

In truth our models spend more time stationary than running, including on a layout when they may be stopped at a station or signal, parked up in a siding or depot, or waiting in a fiddle yard for a run. And, being small, increasing exquisite and finely detailed, we tend to hold our models in our hands close to our eyes or have them in a display case when not on the layout to inspect and appreciate.

G.

No point in having fine detail if the manufacturers cannot get the size, shape and livery correct? very few N scale models are all three. Unless of course you are a collector? I think that quite a number of people fall into that bracket.

That's one of those charismatic models that may well sell (I'd buy one) even though there weren't very many of them, and are far less useful in practical terms that the far more mundane but numerous suburban or cross-country sets.

Whaaaaat? Glasgow to Edinburgh trains for years. Glasgow to Ayrshire trains until 1983. Many similar inter city DMUs (I don't care about detail or substantial differences as long as they get those ends right) in the west country wales and west midlands. Why do they need to be useful? Is the blue pullman useful? Is Tornado?

Whaaaaat? Glasgow to Edinburgh trains for years. Glasgow to Ayrshire trains until 1983. Many similar inter city DMUs (I don't care about detail or substantial differences as long as they get those ends right) in the west country wales and west midlands. Why do they need to be useful? Is the blue pullman useful? Is Tornado?

I was thinking for the 123s here rather than the earlier 126s, I think there were only 10 4-car sets built.