7mm UK OHL

MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,
I'm looking at a project to built a short section (probably 8-10 foot initially) of double track that has been electrified. Nothing complex to start with, just two straight lines that are slightly curved. The idea is to use a combination of single post, single arms located either side of the track, single post double arms located between the two tracks, and a gantry style spanning both lines.

Has anyone attempted 7mm electrification before? If so any tips? The aim is to create a light rail system, something akin to the Tyne & Wear Metro back in the 1980s.

I've come up with a test bed over the past few weeks, but the problem is what to use for the overhead wire, and how to keep it taught. I know I'm going to have to scratchbuild it all, but any thoughts/suggestions would be welcome ... I'll post some pics of what I've come up with over the past few weeks shortly.

Seriously, any thoughts, suggestions, drawings, pictures would be very welcome from anyone!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

Oh I didn't know about that Woodhead layout, I'll have a trawl online and see if I can find that. I am a member of the Gauge O Guild and did have a look at the website (albeit only briefly) but couldn't see anything immediately, so I'll go back and have another look. Thanks for the input.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

See also Jamie 92207's thread on Lancaster Green Ayre - although that catenary is rather more complex than you are looking at.

Since you are modelling Tyne & Wear Metro style light railway, you may find more inspiration (and suitable parts) via Tramway & Light Railway Society. Lots of 7mm tram modellers.

Edit: That should be 92208.

• RMweb Gold

Oh wow, never knew that existed! What a superb layout, that's my reading for this afternoon sorted out. Thanks Brian

See also Jamie 92207's thread on Lancaster Green Ayre - although that catenary is rather more complex than you are looking at.

Since you are modelling Tyne & Wear Metro style light railway, you may find more inspiration (and suitable parts) via Tramway & Light Railway Society. Lots of 7mm tram modellers.

Thanks Joseph, that's one I'd thought about but assumed it was more interest in the real thing, another one to look at! Cheers

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Brian/David,

Thanks for the heads up on the Woodhead-based layout, Netherthorpe Sidings - truly superb. I've posted a query on the thread about the OHL, so i'll wait and see what comes back.  These were my first two early trials.  My big query is what people are using for the actual contact wire in 7mm scale, and is it just being soldered to the carry arm?

IMG_2989.jpg

Obviously, this is a very amateurish first attempt, but I was trying to gauge the height of the stantions, along with where the arms needed to be soldered for the contact wire.

IMG_2988.jpg

This was my attempt at a single line mast, using plastic H girders, with brass rod soldered together.  There still needs to be some form of contact arm to attach the OH wire.  Apologies in advance, to those in the know, if my terminology for the various parts is wrong!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Different scale but it may be worth having a look here:

https://roundtreessidings.wordpress.com/

Features quite a lot about the OHLE on the Tyne and Wear Metro. In 4mm scale they use 0.5mm wire for the contact wire.

David

Thanks David, yes I've seen the Roundtree Sidings layout - superbly done, although never seen in the flesh so to speak, so thanks to the other David for the heads up - definitely going to have to put Doncaster on my to do list now!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if there are any 7mm insulators for OHL equipment available?  Either plastic or 3D printed?  I've not come across any as yet, so may have to try and create one myself to be 3D printed - in which case, if anyone has any real life dimensions or drawings they would be willing to share, it would be much appreciated.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

In case anyone comes up with a similar query, I have found that Sommerfeld do some O gauge plastic insulators - two varieties in both brown and green - available from their UK distributor, Blackwells of Hawkwell.

Rich

• 1 month later...

Archived