Belgian vicinal steam tramway ( SNCV/NMVB )

Biased turkey

From Wikipedia : The Tramways vicinaux or Buurtspoorwegen were a system of narrow gauge tramways or local railways in Belgium, which covered the whole country and had a greater route length than the mainline railway system. They were 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 38 in) gauge (metre gauge) and included electrified city lines and rural lines using steam locomotives and diesel railcars

Picture of the prototype  ( therev was also  a small passenger traffic  )

Jacques

post-4563-0-64803600-1476638109.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you &1.38  ( sorry no pound sign on my keyboard :no: ) and Dutch_Master for taking some of your valuable time to reply.

&1.38 , this is not a kit. The scale is TTm ( 1/120 scale , metric gauge  9mm N scale track ).

The belgian company Jocadis  used to sell  SNCV/NMVB  bicabine kits but they were HOm ( HO scale on TT 12mm track )

As far as I know we are 2 on earth to model the SNCV/NMVB in TTm scale  so we have to scratchbuild everything.

Dutch_Master , Thank you for those extra informations .

Interestingly there was a line  Maaseik (Belgium)-Weert (Netherlands) .Two Garratts ran occasionally on that  NMVB tramway line.

Interesting link:

http://www.modelrailroading.nl/Articulation/pages/netherlands/NMVB%20850-851.htm

The bicabine chassis is a Bachmann N scale Plymouth 3 axles diesel engine and the body is 3D printed .

The high sided wagon  ( wagon a haussettes )  chasis is from Fleischmann and the body is 3D printed.

Here they are on the diorama.

post-4563-0-04385600-1476647850.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Have a look at www.tta.be That is the site for the Tramway Touristique d'Aine. I help out on there.

I'm trying to upload some pics for you but the system says files are too big to load. there's also a thread on here about the TTA, possibly in the narrow gauge section or european railways section.

• RMweb Premium

Great, love the models and the gauge/scale combination. Do you plan to model one of the diesel rail cars? Would run on the Kato chassis.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASVi_museum#/media/File%3AMoterwagen_Asvi_3.JPG

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/53465-ar-93/

This one is at the Liege tramway museum. Some had Sherman tank engines!

Dava

• 2 months later...

Lovely video. Must have been filmed between before 1992, because at the end it shows the unfinished tunnel section to Charleroi that opened in 1992.

It is a lovely demonstration of why we don't have trams in the UK - it is very reliant on there being no traffic on the roads! The extensive amount of wrong-way running on the roads must be quite scary for most.

I loved the bit where the shopkeeper comes out to remove his advertising board from the track!

Edited by Suzie

Lovely video. Must have been filmed between before 1992, because at the end it shows the unfinished tunnel section to Charleroi that opened in 1992.

It is a lovely demonstration of why we don't have trams in the UK - it is very reliant on there being no traffic on the roads! The extensive amount of wrong-way running on the roads must be quite scary for most.

I loved the bit where the shopkeeper comes out to remove his advertising board from the track!

I totally agree with you about the video.

But I'm not sure that I agree with your analysis of why trams were scrapped in the UK, especially now that there has been, admittedly, some minimal reintroductions with street running.

Those of us who have learned to drive in the UK, and I include myself in this, find contraflow running scary because we have never come across it in the UK, and don't know how to deal with it. But there is no reason why street running and contraflow running should be scary or a be a problem provided drivers are taught how to deal with it as part of learning to drive.

Edited by GoingUnderground

• RMweb Premium

What a fascinating film!

I spent a day last summer riding on the remaining lines of this fascinating system, but very sadly the route shown in the beginning of the film no longer exists (despite the modern-looking overhead line equipment); the Charleroi-Anderlues line now terminates at Anderlues Monument, which is the stop seen at about 41 minutes on the film.  For some reason, cars run forward empty beyond the terminus into reversing sidings on the stub of the La Louviere line - the buffer stop of one can be seen in the film to the right of the car before it arrives at the stop.

It looks as though the film was made from a special working as it doesn't stop for passengers at the halts, and in a couple of places line side photographers can be seen.  I wondered whether the 'surprised' driving by some car drivers might indicate that it was filmed after normal service on the line had ceased, but it does cross normal trams in a couple of places.

Of the remaining routes, the Charleroi-Anderlues line retains a lot of Vicinal 'character' as per the film, whereas the line to Gosselies, whilst impressive, has been extensively 'upgraded' with new track and modern stations, quite resembling parts of the Nottingham system or the Eccles route in Manchester for example - I believe this line had been closed, and was re-opened in 2013.  The central 'Metro' section is also well worth a ride, especially the underground reversing loop traversed by cars in passenger service at Waterloo station!

I didn't get many pictures, as the day was mainly spent riding, but here is one of the cars drawing forward beyond the present terminus at Anderlues onto the reversing stub of the La Louviere line - the catenary can be seen curving to the left beyond the "Intermarché" advertisement:

post-31-0-73407300-1486293558.jpg

And here is a car in advertising livery outside Charleroi SNCB station:

post-31-0-39397400-1486293598.jpg

Edit:  I've just watched the rest of the film, from 41 minutes onwards, and nowadays after leaving the present Anderlues terminus the route takes the fork to the right rather than continuing straight on as per the film, and re-joins the route at the junction underneath the motorway bridge (at about 45 mins), which may explain why the shopkeeper has to retrieve his 'A' board from the right of way - perhaps that section wasn't in regular use, even then!

Edited by 31A
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From Wikipedia etc., the La Louviere-Anderlues section seen in the first part of the cab ride film closed as recently as 1993, but following some of it's course beyond the present terminus in Anderlues on Google Maps and Street View it is now well and truly 'dismantled', very sadly!

• 3 months later...

Another picture:

front-left: steam tramway shed

rear-left : tunnel  leading to the rest of the world

front-right : Montfort brewery

rear-right:  pub " café du tram "   ( it is not a real vicinal layout if there is no café du tram  ) and  exit to the future 2nd module

The module is on an Ikea ... modular shelf

post-4563-0-92145300-1495406363_thumb.jpg

Jacques

• Like 1