Fixing third rail

For the outside third rail, i centre the drill approximately 2mm in from the ends of the sleepers - I don't bother with a jig for this. For my fourth rail (LT lines), I made my own jig from some scrap brass, so I could get the rail exactly in the centre, and not zigzagging along. For some reason, the outside rail alignment is more forgiving.

Edit: I should add that I use Peco code 100 track, so if using other track with more scale length sleepers, the measurement should be adjusted slightly to match.

Edited by SRman

I work in 00 but haven't laid Third Rail for a good few years.

However, when I did I laid the Rail a little closer to the running rail than prototype dimensions show. This is because 00 is narrower than prototype so I thought using a prototype distance would look too big.

I cant remember the measurements now but I think I worked on percentages.

Dave.

• Like 2

Well the peco third rail and the pots have turned up just need a child's pair of hands and lots of patience I think a long task

You will also need a sound backbone, because when you have finished, it won't be sound any more! ;)

• Like 2

• 5 years later...
Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Five years later and a couple of questions about adding a third rail.

In the absence of a C&L jig (the above link doesn’t work), may I ask what are the essential dimensions when adding the third to Peco Code 75?  
Is it feasible to solder onto tiny brass woodscrews and simply add butchered Peco insulators ir is that too belt n’braces?

Finally, a barely-related question, are colour light signals available for an early ‘50s SR layout? 

StaySafe

@Jack Benson I haven't scrolled back up to see what was in the other replies, but I recall that the Peco third (and fourth) rail on sale is Code 60. Insofar as the insulators are concerned, I had considered using small, round-headed, slotted (not Philips' head) brass screws and then painting the rounded part white to represent the porcelain. IIRC these would be placed every fourth sleeper. There are no doubt standards regarding height of the conductor rail above the adjoining rail and its distance from the rail - but I haven't have any.

Cheers,

Philip

Third rail again! Mmmmm.

If you are using  Code 75 track you will find the Peco chair rails the 3rd rail too high for RTR Models.

Prototype sleeper spacing was every 4th sleeper but is mostly every 5th now. But, remember, Peco sleeper spacing is too close other than the new Bullhead.

The last pic is what I used years ago as chairs. Unfortunately I can only find No 2 on eBay now.

I made a gauge to drill the sleepers.

Dave.

20201231_155849.jpg

20201231_155129.jpg

20201231_155021.jpg

20211223_120125.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1