Super Simplex

Mike lightfoot

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Simplex Locomotive club! I am building a Super Simplex too. I am not finished yet, as I am deep into the boiler construction. I hope to pass a hydro test this winter. Hopefully I will have a boiler and not a pile of copper scrap! My chassis is running on air and I have tested it on steam from a stationary boiler, works great! It has taken me nine months to get the chassis running. I feel like the boiler will take the same amount of time!

Looks like you have cast bronze motion brackets? My boiler material kit is from Blackgates. If you have questions along the way, let me know. Good  to see another Simplex started. There is another forum that has a separate list just for Simplex builders. The activity on that list is completely dead.  Many locomotives started, but, none finished. I hope you see it through.

Good Luck!

David

• 5 weeks later...

thanks for the encouragement little progress of late although i retired i was tempted back into work for a short spell (thats the trouble with railways they work when others are on holidays) still £ to spend, also i have just inherited my Dads 2" scale part built Thetford town so thats 2 projects will post that on the relevant bit heres to plenty of work, David i did go for the cast brass motion brackets, seemed like a good idea although i dont know why just a feeling in my water as they say.

• 10 months later...

Hi Mike,

Any progress this past year?

I finished my boiler and passed the hydro test back in May. I've been steaming it at my club track all summer even though it is far from finished. This running time has been important to work out small adjustments in the valve gear and other piping issues.

Plate work is now the current work for this winter.

Keep us posted on your project!

David

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...