The Wallows

Mike

Today I have mostly been playing trains and thinking, so far I have built and sold on to others who are exhibiting my once creations; Lenches bridge ( now Bankfield Road) Ashwood Basin, Reely Grate, Primrose Hill, The Muck Works and not forgetting Mount Pleasant. My latest creation Wellington Street will after its allotted show time will go like those before it, I have perhaps one more layout before I retire from the exhibition circuit which will be The Wallows. Another Earl of Dudleys based layout featuring a working canal lock (no water involved) and other features. Watch this space!!

• Like 7

I have perhaps one more layout before I retire from the exhibition circuit which will be The Wallows.

Shirley not...!!.

That sound`s a bit final Mike....

Another Earl of Dudleys based layout featuring a working canal lock (no water involved) and other features. Watch this space!!

That`ll be a dry dock then.....

Also how about a tat man with his horse and cart doing his rounds?.

Brian.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well with Warley 2016 done with Wellington Street it's time to progress with The Wallows. I have designed the track plan and made a start by building the point work all 4 of them. I have to order the baseboards from Grange and Hodder for delivery this side of Xmas, but I won't be starting to lay any track until the new year. The footprint will be 2.7 metres x 40cms or 9ftx16" in old money. I hope to have it built and running for Warley 2017 as I would love to do their 50th show with my 10th and possibly last layout.:)

• Like 6

Mike you are an incredible man. So many layouts all finished to a very high standard and all that exhibiting too. Great stuff and thank you for providing me (and I am sure many others) with such gooies both at exhibitions and on RMweb. I for one hope that it will continue for many more years to come.

Really looking forward to seeing your new creation develop and I will be following it religiously on this thread (no not on my knees facing East).

I am really looking forward with eager anticipation to this one.

Rod

Thanks for the kind comments, this is what The Wallows is all about:-

The Wallows- Earl of Dudley Pensnett Railway

The area just to the north of the Dudley-Brierley Hill road is known as The Wallows, and was very much the centre of the Pensnett Railway, The principal feature of The Wallows area was the canal basin at the end of Lord Ward’s canal. The model has been designed to include some of the features of the area such as the Old Park Engineering Works, a part of the canal and of course the inevitable pub* a feature that has become the signature building of all my previous Earl of Dudley based layouts.

* The Earl of Dudley's Arms

Edited by Mike
  • Like 4

Awaiting delivery of the baseboards, so whilst I have my bench set up for buildings (see Wellington Street post today) I thought I'd make a start on the pub. Photos over the weekend. ;) Booked for Warley 2017 so no hanging about.

Edited by Mike
  • Like 2

I really need to change the pub name as The Earl of Dudley Arms albeit the rebuilt modern one, got closed down after continuing violence. It might be something like Duke William or The Four Furnaces.

:(

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I really need to change the pub name as The Earl of Dudley Arms albeit the rebuilt modern one, got closed down after continuing violence. It might be something like Duke William or The Four Furnaces.

:(

I lived next door to that pub (the modern one!) when I was little - in fact I watched them build it: I would have been 4 at the time, and the builders 'gave' me a load of sand for my father to build me a sandpit in the garden!
  • Like 2

Pub name sorted: Royal Oak which was in Wallows Street. Building under way lots to do in particular the obscure glass in the lower half of the bay windows, brass door handle and once the roof is in place, guttering and down pipe. May just fit an inn sign on the wall or a gallows type. Jury is still out on this. Just need to find out who was the brewery.

post-185-0-67167500-1481645670.jpg

post-185-0-51874200-1481646012_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-20339700-1481646030_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The pub looks great Mike. I frosted my roof lights in the goods shed by using very, very fine emery paper on clear plastic. It seems to work OK but I suspect that more experienced modellers will have simpler and more effective ideas.

Keep up the good work I am enjoying watching the layout "grow".

Rod

Wolverhampton & Dudley Brewery 1909 HITCHMOUGH’S BLACK COUNTRY PUBS. A little bit more progress on the Royal Oak with guttering, down pipe, stench pipe , door handle.sign and obscure glass. I take no credit for using waxed tracing paper for the obscure effect, as this was my wife's suggestion. Now its on to the roof and flashing round the chimney stack.

post-185-0-61514500-1481737700_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-22540800-1481737713.jpg

• Like 4

It must be the gin, although you can't have too much gin. but I posted what should have been here in my Wellington Road thread.DOH!  Well I have had a day in my gentleman's retreat and have a new work station,  completed 4 A4 points; 3left-hand and 1 right-hand . The laser cut baseboard parts ( Grainge & Hodder) arrived just before the holiday, so it's all systems go starting 3rd Jan 2017, I should be sober by then. :)  My 9year old Grandson will be helping me to assemble the baseboards, I have given him his own power drill and he will under pain of death be allowed to use other power tools. Watch this space as they say. Who ever they are!!

• Like 4

Just to prove it's not all smoke and mirrors, here are the fruits of my day in the gentleman's retreat plus the baseboard kits. Note to self; must clean the epoxy off the insulated rail breaks.

post-185-0-19046000-1482837161.jpg

post-185-0-57195300-1482837173.jpg

post-185-0-36887600-1482837184_thumb.jpg

• Like 6