Build a DCC Controller

I've just bought a Raspberry Pi3 and an Arduino uno + motor shield, loaded up JMRI and DCC++. No kitbuilding required and it was cheap as chips. And I suspect far more capable...

I tried DCC++ too. I love the project except for when you get it working and then need to come up with a nice controller set-up that isn't JMRI if you'd prefer knobs and buttons and swiches. It seems the MERG solution has that.

I have countless little dev boards in a box, all of which are fun to write software for. But designing PCBs is not something I enjoy or want to do so making the 'user-interface' and packaging is where the fun and project end for me.

So even though the software and hardware hold no mystery to me I think i'll be buying a commercial DCC controller for my son to play trains with. Even though it will be through gritted teeth thinking "I could have done this myself!"

The MERG seems like a good halfway point - cheaper, build it yourself, but still get a neat controller.

I see the MERG box bears the 'train' logo meaning it has been designed to be NMRA compliant but not submitted for testing else it would bear the (american) football logo to show it has an NMRA warrant.

I reckon MERG kit is as good as it gets and would probably meet such approval, but due to it being 'a kit' and them having no control over user build quality that may be why.

I see the MERG box bears the 'train' logo meaning it has been designed to be NMRA compliant but not submitted for testing else it would bear the (american) football logo to show it has an NMRA warrant.

Conformance warrants are largely irrelevant and ignored for DCC.

The on-line list http://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/CandI_Documents/nmra_warrants.pdf showshow few DCC warrants have been issued in recent years.

Conformance warrants are largely irrelevant and ignored for DCC.

The on-line list http://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/CandI_Documents/nmra_warrants.pdf showshow few DCC warrants have been issued in recent years.

On that basis why do so many people make such a big fuss about this or that bit of kit isn't NMRA compliant. Maybe it would be more relevant to proper operation if kit complied with the EMC requirements of EN regs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm almost at the point of joining MERG, with a view to building the DCC controller, but would like a couple of things clarifying. Is the throttle a potentiometer or encoder? I've previously used a Digitrax throttle, and liked the way the when you acquire a loco it continues to run at the previous speed. Would this happen with MERG DCC, or would it use the relative position of the throttle to set the speed of a loco with is either currently stationary, or running at a certain speed? Also how many locos can be dispatched and then re-acquired?

My ideal setup would be two handsets, so the speed of two different locos can be changed simultaneously, and one booster, so looking at just over £100, excluding MERG membership. The Digitrax alternative is nearly 3 times that amount, and more than I can justify.

Finally, could anyone let me know if the kits are in stock? I can't determine that as a non-member.

Hi

Booster is out of stock the other two (command station and handset) are currently available.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

I presume a potentiometer has a fixed stop at each end of the range and an encoder,just keeps going round and round and dependant upon the way the rest is built it can be rate dependant i.e. turn slow get a small output, turn fast and get a big output.

I would expect only the encoder to pass existing control across handset to handset and the pot to require setting to match speeds before taking control.

On that basis why do so many people make such a big fuss about this or that bit of kit isn't NMRA compliant. Maybe it would be more relevant to proper operation if kit complied with the EMC requirements of EN regs.

Sorry for the late reply.

I think, in most cases, people are referring to kit that would never pass the conformance tests, if presented for testing. as opposed to kit which doesn't have the piece of paper, or the logo on the box, but works flawlessly.

• Like 1

Hello,

The MERG command station can be used without a booster in a limited manner(about 1amp max)by moving a jumper bridge. It will drive a modern 4mm locomotive quite well using the handset.

Kits come and go out of stock quite frequently but not for long. There is a lot more than just dcc available as well. I would suggest the Electronics for model railways by Davy Dick cd alone is worth the membership.

trustytrev. :yes:

I'm almost at the point of joining MERG, with a view to building the DCC controller, but would like a couple of things clarifying. Is the throttle a potentiometer or encoder? I've previously used a Digitrax throttle, and liked the way the when you acquire a loco it continues to run at the previous speed. Would this happen with MERG DCC, or would it use the relative position of the throttle to set the speed of a loco with is either currently stationary, or running at a certain speed? Also how many locos can be dispatched and then re-acquired?

My ideal setup would be two handsets, so the speed of two different locos can be changed simultaneously, and one booster, so looking at just over £100, excluding MERG membership. The Digitrax alternative is nearly 3 times that amount, and more than I can justify.

Finally, could anyone let me know if the kits are in stock? I can't determine that as a non-member.

The MERG throttle/cab uses a pot

Currently when you acquire a loco it is then set to the current cab speed ( you can also share and " steal " , locos from or to other cabs )

The current RAM size supports around 22 locos under control ,

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have a MERG handset that my son built. It is by far the best controller that I have ever held. There is a large amount of surface mount components, so with practice, it should not be too difficult to build. I have taken it apart and put it back together, and have had a go at soldering surface mount devices on other MERG kits,  so feel fairly confident that I could make a decent fist of building one. 

It is far superior to using an on screen throttle because I always have watch the on screen throttle to see what I'm doing, therefore cannot watch what the train is doing.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 96701 said:

What is one of those?

Hi

That is the DCC handset from MERG.

To answer the question I am sure people have built one (through hole version) but it isn’t not available as a kit at the moment.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold
On 10/10/2020 at 11:03, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

To answer the question I am sure people have built one (through hole version) but it isn’t not available as a kit at the moment.

Cheers

Paul

Not kit 92, then? This is what I use.

image.png.5eb935468226c573ed4baf58d25aa6f2.png

• RMweb Premium
On 10/10/2020 at 11:03, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Cheers

Paul

follow the instructions 

take your time

even a numpty like me  got one to work first time

DSC_4633.jpg.e2c817fd69ebca8758d9668bc3997e71.jpg

Nick B

Edited by nick_bastable

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

That one is SMD not through hole.

Cheers

Paul

Ah, right. Having read the thread in the MERG Forum, I see what you mean. It would appear that there isn't a kit for it because those who have developed their versions haven't given the Kitmaster enough info. Reading the thread and the wiki, it seems that you have to buy your own bits and build it without instructions! That is not something that I would begin to contemplate.