Track weathering in Australia in 2016

With a couple of quiet days at home (while I was spiking a temperature), I decided to investigate the current options for the weathering of track in Australia for the OO-scale model of Banff that I continue to plan.  Since I am a raw beginner at this hobby, there is a lot to learn and plan.

I would have been quite happy to go with Phoenix Precision P977 Track Colour (Rusty Rails) and P979 Track Colour (Weathered Sleepers), based on the names and the number of references to them on these forums, only to find that the range is not available in Australia.  Australian modelling retailers seem to offer only Humbrol, Tamiya and Vallejo.  I would be happy enough to buy these from a UK retailer, but of course, it is now impossible to internationally ship even small quantities of enamel paint by any means at all, neither mail nor courier.

I’ve messaged Phoenix to see if they have any Australian distributors and/or retailers, but have yet to receive a reply.  I’ve also read of one modeller who went through a tortuous path to import Phoenix paints to Australia for his own use, and have particular desire to go down that path if it can be avoided.

The following seem to be my options (in no particular order):

• Railmatch 2406 Sleeper Grime (acrylic) from a UK retailer.  Again, I can't locate any Australian retailers that carry this range.  I’m guessing/hoping that it’s ok to internationally ship acrylics.
  • Humbrol 173 Track Colour (enamel).  Track Colour seems a popular choice, but was discontinued for a time.  It does appear on the current Humbrol colour chart, and does appear to be available from some Australia retailers.  Conversely, it does not appear on the Hattons website.
  • Humbrol 98 Chocolate (enamel) also gets a few votes from fellow RMWebbers.
  • Humbrol 29 Flat Earth mixed with 33 Black (enamel or acrylic) “until it looks right”.  Flat Earth now seems to be called Dark Earth, but I presume it is the same colour as it has the same number.  I am not sure that I have the skill as a beginner to gauge the “until it looks right”, so this may not be an option for me.

One resource I found while digging around was www.paint4models.com, an on-line paint colour converter.  For instance, it shows that Humbrol 98 Chocolate is equivalent to Vallejo 872 Chocolate Brown and Tamiya XF10 Brown, but sadly that Humbrol 173 Track Colour has no equivalent.  Also sadly, it doesn’t include Precision or Railmatch colours, at least not yet.

I’d be glad to hear what colour(s) you all use.  I’m also not sure about brushing vs airbrushing, whether I should use a primer, and whether it is even worth the bother to paint rails and sleepers different colours, so your opinions and experiences with those options are also welcome.

Thanks in advance

Aardvark

• RMweb Premium

I would avoid using any type of enamel paint for weathering purposes and, in my opinion, the lack of Railmatch and Pheonix in Australia is a bonus for you. The range of acrylics produced by Vallejo are superb paints and include a specific track weathering set covering sleeper grime, rusty rails etc. Much better quality than Railmatch or Humbrol acrylics. Ideally use an airbrush to apply but you don't have to.

• RMweb Premium

Railmatch occasionally turns up in Australia in small quantities.  Chances of the exact one you want appearing might be pretty small.  It's water-based so the restrictions on shipping are not as dire as for oil-based paint but still most places refuse to sell it to Australian customers.  Royal Mail should accept single pots though Aus Post might not.  International couriers will ship it but you'd need to order a decent quantity.  I managed to secure a single pot of Rail Blue as part of a rolling stock order so you may get lucky.

Humbrol is quite widely available in the model stores and, should you not have one handy, is often found in more general hobby shops too.  If you can't get the ones you want you can get near-matches and mix them.

My track is outdoors (though under a roof) in Australia and is weathered using powders and water-spray.  It works.  The water momentarily turns the applied powder to liquid before drying flat and matt and acts as a sealant ensuring your motors don't pick up coloured dust.

You can vary the application to your heart's content and it's not as messy as paint.  I also find the rail webs take on a nicely weathered look of grime (rather than rust) simply through being outdoors.

I use humbrol rust brown (can't remember the number off the top of my head) brushed on neat for a base layer on the rail sides. This is far too orange for my liking, so I follow it with an airbrushed wash of the same brown, mixed with matt black and a dash of humbrol camo green. This tones down the redness of the rails nicely, and gives a pleasing impression of rust underneath a load of grime. It also ties it in with the rest of the trackbed quite nicely, and makes a good base layer around the bottom edges of structures for further weathering with powders.

What's wrong with simply mixing your own appropriate colours from the ranges of paint which you do have access to?  It's hardly rocket science and will probably enable you to get a much more accurate representation of track weathering anyway. No two stretches of track on real railways look exactly the same and there is usually considerable variation even along relatively short stretches, apart from in the obvious places such as in stations, sidings, etc.

Model railway track which has been weathered simply by giving it an 'all over' blast from an airbrush rarely looks convincing anyway. Whilst I accept that it can be laborious in the extreme on even medium sized layouts, I much prefer to brush paint every sleeper, followed by the rail and chairs, mixing small quantities of paint as I go along, each of which will be subtly different.

post-14917-0-02313600-1477577722_thumb.jpg

What's wrong with simply mixing your own appropriate colours from the ranges of paint which you do have access to?  It's hardly rocket science and will probably enable you to get a much more accurate representation of track weathering anyway. No two stretches of track on real railways look exactly the same and there is usually considerable variation even along relatively short stretches, apart from in the obvious places such as in stations, sidings, etc.

Model railway track which has been weathered simply by giving it an 'all over' blast from an airbrush rarely looks convincing anyway. Whilst I accept that it can be laborious in the extreme on even medium sized layouts, I much prefer to brush paint every sleeper, followed by the rail and chairs, mixing small quantities of paint as I go along, each of which will be subtly different.

Nothing wrong with mixing my own colours.  And I most certainly agree with your comment about an 'all over' blast.  It's just that I'm a rank beginner, never having done anything on a model layout previously, and whilst I would love to produce something as convincing and authentic as possible, I do have to keep an eye on what I can reasonably achieve.  I think most likely, I will go with an all-over blast using as prototypical a colour as I can manage, with a view of returning, brush in hand, at a later date, when time, skill and enthusiasm permit.

• RMweb Premium

Nothing wrong with mixing my own colours.  And I most certainly agree with your comment about an 'all over' blast.  It's just that I'm a rank beginner, never having done anything on a model layout previously, and whilst I would love to produce something as convincing and authentic as possible, I do have to keep an eye on what I can reasonably achieve.  I think most likely, I will go with an all-over blast using as prototypical a colour as I can manage, with a view of returning, brush in hand, at a later date, when time, skill and enthusiasm permit.

We all begin somewhere.  We learn at our own speed and in our own way.  The most polished professional layout exhibitors started as beginners.  Never worry about those early steps.  They are an essential part of the path we all walk.

My feature layout is the first I built, was begun with zero knowledge or skill, was embarked upon with nothing more than a screwdriver, a hammer and a hand-saw and has become (if I am permitted the liberty) one of the better-known and followed layouts over the past ten years or so.

Click on the Penhayle Bay link in my signature.  Go to the first page then the last and compare.  Unweathered and weathered ballast.  All done by one man, learning as he went, teaching himself to mix and blend colours and the techniques involved.  And still happily using a one-inch house-painting brush (hardly the sort of thing a modeller expects to use) every time a ballasting job is done to brush in and blend the application of weathering powders.

Click on the Penhayle Bay link in my signature.  Go to the first page then the last and compare.  Unweathered and weathered ballast.  All done by one man, learning as he went, teaching himself to mix and blend colours and the techniques involved.

Finally scored myself some time to look at  your layout thread: very inspirational.  Rather than take the expurgated journey, I'm working my way from page 1 (with relish), even though your chosen time and location are other than my own interests.  Yes, there is hope for me.  Realistic expectations are a major key!.

Whilst looking into paint ranges available down here, the "LIFECOLOUR" range is also readily available from model shops.

It's a good quality acrylic range with plenty of colours, including specific 6 pot sets for British railway use as well as military and aviation themes.

Whist investigating paint charts, I can recommend the "iModelKit" free app and the upgrade to the full version.

Whilst looking into paint ranges available down here, the "LIFECOLOUR" range is also readily available from model shops.

It's a good quality acrylic range with plenty of colours, including specific 6 pot sets for British railway use as well as military and aviation themes.

Thanks: yes, Lifecolor is certainly an option: their Rail Weathering and Wood Weathering sets sounds encouraging.

Sadly, one Australian on-line retailer says "Lifecolor paints are no longer available from a local Australian wholesaler. Paints are available while stocks last!".

• 2 months later...

Archived