coachmann's 4mm loco & coach W.B.

coachmann

Larry, thanks for starting this thread, as well as being able to view some lovely coaches, exquisitely painted there are also the invaluable prototype notes, comment on detail and the building tips you provide.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Larry for reintroducing this sort of thread. Most inspiring as always. It would be great if you have the time to show 'us' a few of your 'tricks' such as using the Baccy Bogies on an etched underframe (if that's what you did?)

Phil

Thanks Larry for reintroducing this sort of thread. Most inspiring as always. It would be great if you have the time to show 'us' a few of your 'tricks' such as using the Baccy Bogies on an etched underframe (if that's what you did?)

Phil

I will have to get my head in gear on this the next time I'm coach building.

Edited by coachmann

A silly question but not helped with the variety of lining transfers that are available.

What is the correct colour for the lining on BR maroon coaches  (Mk 1)?  Gold and Black,  Yellow and Black  or Cream and Black or another combination.

Not a silly question at all. The official colours on BR post 1956 Maroon were golden yellow and black.

For anyone interested, I line out with yellow cellulose paint, a colour similar to Precision/Phoenix P36 LMS Lining Yellow. It suits the crimson lake I use and enhances it. I cannot comment of lining transfers never having seen or used them.

I grew up with carmine & cream and carmine coaches and have vague memories of seeing old gold lining and numbers with a fine black ouline on first class doors. I can only describe it as a pale yellow with black added to destroy its brightness. My memories of lining on BR maroon is of strong yellow.

Edited by coachmann

Not a silly question at all. The official colours on BR post 1956 Maroon were golden yellow and black.

For anyone interested, I line out with yellow cellulose paint, a colour similar to Precision/Phoenix P36 LMS Lining Yellow. It suits the crimson lake I use and enhances it. I cannot comment of lining transfers never having seen or used them.

I grew up with carmine & cream and carmine coaches and have vague memories of seeing old gold lining and numbers with a fine black ouline on first class doors. I can only describe it as a pale yellow with black added to destroy its brightness. My memories of lining on BR maroon is of strong yellow.

Thanks

Time to get the ruling pen out

Norman

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

GWR E147

Two GWR Dia. E147 brake composites formed into a B-set for Llanfyllin-Oswestry services, yet another set of 4mm coaches that will have to be replaced in 7mm scale now.

Hi,

Had you given any thought to the source of your 7mm replacements yet?

Great walk through ,I've always fancied building coaches and now I've moved up to 00 I'll be trying the ruler and knife handle technique ,the tumble homes the part Ive always feared lol

Looking forward to the next instalment

Brian

• RMweb Premium

The completed 'box'. By this stage the extruded aluminium roof had been sawn to length and 3mm of rebate removed from each end to clear the coach ends. Just over 1mm of metal had to be removed from the top of the ends before the roof would sit completely down on top of the sides, so I will know this in future....

attachicon.gifWEB 7mm coach 21.jpg

Presume the roof is just resting given you still need to get inside? Seems a remarkably good fit you've managed if that is the case...

I've been upgrading my RTR wagon.  I wasn't happy with the brakes being so far from the wheels and the excessive slop of the axles.   Dapol's axles are 2mm shorter than Slater's.  I also think the brake lever guide should be a loop.   I'm using Bill Bedford sprung W irons and brake gear etches from Eileen's Emporium.  I think the wagon is fine above the solebars.

John

An ex.PO in BR livery. Solebars in BR days would normally be black, but even when they were grey the strapping was not picked out in black...

Hi Larry, I'm sure there were lots of exceptions and I could be completely wrong but my recollection is that wooden underframes were usually painted the body colour and steel underframes were black. Glad to see that you've 'seen the light' and decided to join us over on the 'dark (7mm) side'!

Cheers,

Ray.

• Like 3

Hi Larry, I'm sure there were lots of exceptions and I could be completely wrong but my recollection is that wooden underframes were usually painted the body colour and steel underframes were black. Glad to see that you've 'seen the light' and decided to join us over on the 'dark (7mm) side'!

Cheers,

Ray.

Could add that most exPO wagons weren't painted at all – just a black patch for the number etc and the rest increasingly as nature intended...

• Like 1

I absolutely agree it does Tony. I saw this on many of the 0 gauge coaches I painted for clients. The reason I ended up using what was provided in the kit is I am still feeling my way around 0 gauge retailers. That said, I hit the ground running with so many friends and RMweb members sharing their knowledge. Can you suggest where I buy 2mm angle?

Have you tried Eileen's Emporium?

I absolutely agree it does Tony. I saw this on many of the 0 gauge coaches I painted for clients. The reason I ended up using what was provided in the kit is I am still feeling my way around 0 gauge retailers. That said, I hit the ground running with so many friends and RMweb members sharing their knowledge. Can you suggest where I buy 2mm angle?

I made a start on the LMS bogies yesterday cutting out the numerous etched parts and fettling them.....

attachicon.gifWEB 7mm coach 33.jpg

With no instruction sheet I carried on blindly assembling things until I hit a brick wall not knowing how to proceed further. Luckily Jintyman emailed a drawing and things started to hot up again. Nonetheless it took 6½ hours to get from start to unplugging the iron last night. Some work is still required on the bogies but I'll do better next time ....

attachicon.gifWEB 7mm coach 35.jpg

For metal stock I use Metalsmiths. They do metre and half metre lengths. In a very wide range from sheet to wire to rod. The 500mm lengths are useful in 0 as less joins are needed.