coachmann's 4mm loco & coach W.B.

coachmann

Is there a good lostwax replacement available?

I'm not aware of one. Maybe Springside might still have something in their 'spares box'. I don't know much about the 7mm world.

The Sansheng topfeed is definitely the worst thing about the model. The sides (in side view) should be parallel, it's not fat enough, and it looks too high to me.

I bet you could knock up a better shape out of a lump of something.

Edited by Miss Prism

Thanks Kev, but I cannot even see inside te cab to get the loose paint out of it haha. I have drawn a line under the top feed...... Its sweated on and it's staying put....I can live with it. What I do need is a scale drawing of a 14XX so I can make battery boxes and an ashpan.

Edited by coachmann

48xx GA is I think in GWRJ 22.  (Not sure it shows the battery boxes though.)

Ashpan outline shown on http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/drawings/loco/loco381.jpg

Thanks very much, I am very grateful. I will look out for good side view photos from tomorrow. There might be some amongst my R.H.G.Simpson photos.

Edited by coachmann

IIRC the GA drawing in MRJ is 'as built' condition without the battery boxes. I soldered the battery boxes to a bracket and just positioned it from photos.  As regards the reverser Kev is right the model is supplied with an incorrect lever type which is easily tweaked out.  I built a box from scrap etch and soldered a Warren Shepherd screw reverser casting on top. I positioned it using photos but also the outline on the GA and secured it with a blob of epoxy. You can see my effort in the bottom RHS of the photo. I did think about changing the top feed casting but 'chickened out'. As mine didn't come with a roof I was able, at the second try, to make one which rolled over into the cab side. It is secured with clips across the front and back between the windows. Hope this helps.

Ray

post-23517-0-21224100-1481852199_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marshall5
  • Like 3

Larry

This is not much help if you are in a hurry (!) but I have a top feed which will not be used on my Modern Outline Kit 14XX. The problem is, the top feed is in France and I will not be there until after the Bristol Gauge O meeting at the end of January. I doubt if you would wait that long?

Paul

Larry

This is not much help if you are in a hurry (!) but I have a top feed which will not be used on my Modern Outline Kit 14XX. The problem is, the top feed is in France and I will not be there until after the Bristol Gauge O meeting at the end of January. I doubt if you would wait that long?

Paul

Thanks very much for your kind offer. It's not that I am in any hurry. Everything has a trade off and I decided not to mess around with the top feed. Actually, I could remove it completely and choose an appropriate running number seeing as I am no longer tied into the Oswestry line.

Edited by coachmann

IIRC the GA drawing in MRJ is 'as built' condition without the battery boxes. I soldered the battery boxes to a bracket and just positioned it from photos.  As regards the reverser Kev is right the model is supplied with an incorrect lever type which is easily tweaked out.  I built a box from scrap etch and soldered a Warren Shepherd screw reverser casting on top. I positioned it using photos but also the outline on the GA and secured it with a blob of epoxy. You can see my effort in the bottom RHS of the photo. I did think about changing the top feed casting but 'chickened out'. As mine didn't come with a roof I was able, at the second try, to make one which rolled over into the cab side. It is secured with clips across the front and back between the windows. Hope this helps.

Ray

Neat work there. I might just begin to accept certain incorrect details such as the lever reverse. I started off with just one loco and at that stage it would have been easy to deal with individual models. But things have mushroomed.  

Make up a heat shield with an old bean can, heat up the casting with a micro torch and off it drops. I did it with a Sang Cheng Scot somewhere back in my thread. Clean up and on with a new one! Some things we can live with.. others not!

Best Regards

Tony

Thanks Tony, It wasn't that I couldn't get the topfeed off...The 85watt iron would make short work of it.  I've been looking for detail shots of an ashpan all day.....Not the sort of thing people take photos of. I am going to have to think ahead and take detail shots of real locos that I am likely to want models of.  

Edited by coachmann

Thanks Steve. I would have fabricated the front under bufferbeam push pull linkage if I'd had the information. It's probably one of those things that was covered in a model magazine one time. Anyway, the 14xx is off to PGH for sand blasting and sound chip fitting next.

I'm going to make the funds from the sale of the 4mm go further from now on by only buying the inexpensive Heljan and Dapol locos. It is probably a long shot hoping the Large Prairie's worked over the Llangollen line in steam days.  :tender:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

20th April 2007 was a "steam day" at Carrog     :good:

attachicon.gif4160 at Carrog.jpg

D'oh, black running plate angle....

Lovely engines though. Not sure if it's the same engine I saw in unlined GWR green and this year in plain black (I've never looked at numbers).   They were familiar enough on the Severn Valley line, but Bill Rear's book on the Llangollen Line suggests the bunker capacity reduced their usefulness on this line.  Still, someone might have a picture of one taken before 1965.

Edited by coachmann

D'oh, black running plate angle....

Lovely engines though. Not sure if it's the same engine I saw in unlined GWR green and this year in plain black (I've never looked at numbers).   They were familiar enough on the Severn Valley line, but Bill Rear's book on the Llangollen Line suggests the bunker capacity reduced their usefulness on this line.  Still, someone might have a picture of one taken before 1965.

Think the black one this year was 5199 Larry.

The large prairies were my earliest form of railway transport, working suburban trains from Stratford to Moor Street via Earlswood.  They ised the traverser at Moor Street (parts of which are still visible) to run round the coaches.  The line included the long haul up from Stratford to Danzey, so powerful locos were needed, particularly as there was a total of 12 stations between Stratford and Tyseley.  These days there are 13.

• Like 1

Sorry I missed the lubricator pipe cover, Larry. (It was so obvious, it was missable.)  There's two covers onto the smokebox, the other one being amidships.

attachicon.gif14xx-smokebox-covers.png

I noticed the protrusion behind the chimney but wondered if it was on all the 14XX. I can't find any suitable brass this morning for these additions and so they will be made from plastikard and fitted after the body parts have been sandblasted.

When I took up 0 gauge modelling only a few weeks ago, I thought it would be great to add every conceivable detail to everything seeing as it is clearly visible in this scale, but at that time I only had the one locomotive. However, circumstances have overtaken my limited hobby-time and so several locos, coaches and wagons later, I am finding myself overwhelmed by the backlog of 'things to do'. I hope to be etching my first and probably sole 0 gauge carriage early in the New Year. With a fresh idea on which station and line to construct, this coach will serve a useful purpose in a Land Cruise train from the North Wales coast. There are no other reasons (excuses) for running ex.LMS coaches otherwise.......... and that will never do.  :biggrin_mini2:

• RMweb Premium

A couple of points of interest. The header cover on the smokebox. Looks like I will have to make one...

attachicon.gifWEB 14XX 11.jpg

The irritating thing (irritating in the sense I bought a lined green no topfeed before I realised how rare they were in the late 50s) that photo highlights is that 1450 had one tool box in the middle of the splasher, as did 1471 (which was Welsh based). Fully appreciate this is ridiculously fussy - I'm only like it with locos!

Edited by Hal Nail

The irritating thing (irritating in the sense I bought a lined green no topfeed before I realised how rare they were in the late 50s) that photo highlights is that 1450 had one tool box in the middle of the splasher, as did 1471 (which was Welsh based). Fully appreciate this is ridiculously fussy - I'm only like it with locos!

I just might have a top feed and pipework for disposal. Has anyone a photo of 1431 (Croes Newydd) in the 1950's please? I need to know if it had top feed and if it carried lined green.

• RMweb Premium

I just might have a top feed and pipework for disposal. Has anyone a photo of 1431 (Croes Newydd) in the 1950's please? I need to know if it had top feed and if it carried lined green.

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p320959101/h2b1bcb9e#h2b1bcb9e

Photo with top feed and in black in 1953 (assuming the date is accurate).

I'm also copying some info from "Petos" as e mailed to me when I was purchasing mine a while back, which would suggest that 1431 was always black. The info might not be 100% though and boiler swaps meant some locos ran in both guises - for example 1450, 1451 and 1471 all ran in green without top feed for a while, contrary to what it says below

"Very simply, according to Peto the following 14xxs were in lined green with totem without top feed - 1412 / 1426 possibly / 1470 / 1472 / 1473.  All the others in lined green had top feed according to Peto – 1421/1426/1432/1434/1442/1444-48/50-51/53-54/1458/1468/1471".

The 14xx at Croes Newydd in 1959 was 1458 which the Peto suggests was in green with top feed although the photos on that link are all without top feed. To be honest I just gave up and run mine in the form I liked best!

Edited by Hal Nail