Festival of British Railway Modelling 2017 - Doncaster 11/12 Feb 2017

Andy Y

If you are coming by rail, there's a display of Railway Memorabilia at the Frenchgate Shopping Centre which has direct access from the station,i believe part of it was from the collection found in the belltower at Doncaster Grammar School, nameplates etc. Perhaps someone on here has more information.

• RMweb Gold

Whats the car park like - muddy and flooded as usual when it rains? Was thinking of going tomorrow but having previously struggled to get out of the car park think this year will be a miss

Car park was wet, but not too bad this morning considering the weather overnight. There was a lengthy queue of people when I arrived at around 9:15, so I waited in the (warm) car until 9:45 and walked straight in. 

I had an enjoyable morning with some excellent layouts on show, a favourite being Carl Wood's always impressive Vale of Oxbury, but sadly had to leave a bit earlier than usual to meet 'Uncle duties' this afternoon.

As an aside, it was good to see a manufacturer presence at the show this year in the form of Hornby, something I've always felt Doncaster could have benefited from. I hope this trend continues and the likes of Bachmann & Dapol might make appearances in the future. 

Tom. 

I visited on Saturday for a change.  I prefer Sunday but circumstances dictated otherwise.  It rained continuously in both directions but it is February.

After leaving my coat in the cloakroom I sought out Steve1980 to discuss with him the difficulties of booking advance tickets.  I was the third that day to do so and it was not yet 09.40.  I wonder how many more there were?  Then into the show, where I was struck by the sheer number of traders and the numbers of those selling what was, quite frankly, junk and much of it making a return appearance.  It is no pleasure to be reminded of just how awful rtr models used to be - short of scale length, spurious liveries etc.  The range of traders was commendably wide but the presence of a stand for a hedgehog rescue organisation raised at least one of my eyebrows.  Here and there were dotted demonstrators.  Those representing the EM Gauge Society, and doubtless others, were friendly and approachable.  I say this because at some shows one still finds demonstrators with heads down and quite oblivious of their surroundings.  We should distinguish between those demonstrators who are drawn from the enthusiast community and those who are clearly traders with attitude or, as the case may be, sales targets.

There were plenty of layouts, naturally.  Some attracted my attention more than others.  I kept being drawn to East Lynn and Nunstanton, Trevor Nunn's S scale essay which was, I'm told, making its final public appearance, and to Roundtree Sidings, an EM layout which features a short length of Tyne and Wear Metro co-habiting with the national network and is both original and reliable.  Terry Tew's Earls Court is one that I always like to see with its excellent buildings and distinctive stock.  Terry quite likes cutting and shutting and it shows.  New Kensal Green is unlike many other MPD themed layouts in being spacious and uncluttered.  Grime Street is always worth a look, not just for the working cyclist and the trams but for the urban grot which is very well captured.

I did not see many RMwebbers that I know and clearly do not know if I saw any whose acquaintance I have yet to make.  Andy Y did a fine job of hiding from me!  The price of tea was predictably on the high side and I brought my own sandwiches [crumbed ham with mango chutney, since you ask].  There were plenty of chairs on which to rest weary bones.

Chris

i believe part of it was from the collection found in the belltower at Doncaster Grammar School

As far as i know the collection has never been missing to be found. Not the bell tower at the Grammar. Can't say any more that that. 

But here's a pic of the chamber pot corner of the collection.

post-508-0-39676800-1486926542.jpg

P

• RMweb Premium

Saw something today that I never, ever thought I would see at a model railway exhibition. I know of no more delicate way to put it than it was a hedgehog having its bottom wiped by a man with a bit of tissue paper.

A true first. In fact, it may be the first time in a lifetime, never mind model railway shows.

What will they think of for next year? Hard to top that!

Saw something today that I never, ever thought I would see at a model railway exhibition. I know of no more delicate way to put it than it was a hedgehog having its bottom wiped by a man with a bit of tissue paper.

A true first. In fact, it may be the first time in a lifetime, never mind model railway shows.

A hedgehog wiping a mans bottom?

G.

Mr Gee, 

You've never lived.  :wink_mini:  Warning. Of American origin!

P

Home safely with Earl's Court.

Had a very enjoyable weekend. Extremely well looked after.......accommodation, food, drinks etc.........very helpful and friendly Racecourse staff........usual help from the Warner's team.............no problem getting in and out.......

Good punters as well.

Thanks and well done to everyone concerned.

Terry

Thank you to everyone who attended over the weekend - we hope you all enjoyed yourselves! :no: It was certainly an extremely busy show with thousands of visitors. (Just doing the final count!)

The winners of the Hornby Children's Colouring Competition were Paige Howe (under 9s) and William Briggs (over 9s). Well Done - Prizes will be sent shortly!

post-15960-0-58268300-1486986414_thumb.jpg

I want to say a big thank you to everyone - we really enjoyed exhibiting Saltdean.  That only problem we had all weekend was the pub next to the hotel running out of beer on Saturday night, and I'm not blaming Warners for that one!

​Peter

We had a great weekend with Burnham, and even the shortage of good beer on Sat night didn't spoil the evening. Look forward to doing it again.  Alastair.

• RMweb Gold

Just to add to the thanks to the organisers, from my fellow members of the High Wycombe and District MRS and myself. We had a good time at the weekend exhibiting with our Hinton Parva layout.
Thanks also to those whom watched us play trains and had a chat with the operators etc. your positive comments were much appreciated, we seemed to manage to keep the viewing public entertained.

post-243-0-55423600-1487063876_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-51986400-1487063877_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-52343100-1487063878_thumb.jpg

Archived