FREMO Riesa 2016 (Photo *Heavy*)

Julia

Couple of weeks back I attended the FREMO meeting in Riesa. This was a large meeting to celebrate 35 years of FREMO. The hall we had was 7000 square metres and we pretty much filled it.

XT1A3708_sm.JPG

Whilst FREMO is one club, there are lots of separate groups within which model different scales. The largest group is H0 Europe. Which is Epoc III European outline, h0 scale (16.5mm). This is also the oldest group.

Ten years ago when we met in Zuidbrook to celebrate the 25 year anniversary of the Dutch group, we had one giant H0 Europe layout that had 1.2km of through track, and 93 stations. It worked, it worked well, but it took a long time to set up and iron out the kinks. So this time we split the H0 Europe into 2 layouts, H0 Europe Epoc III and H0 Europe Epoc IV. Both layouts were LARGE, several hundred meters in size. Each also had narrow gauge sections, Epoc III had H0e and H0m, While Epoc IV had 3 different H0e sections. Each narrow gauge section had a standard gauge interchange allowing SG wagons on either rollbock or rollwagen. 

As well as the large H0 europe layouts, there were also: 

• H0 USA (2 layouts each had narrow gauge sections too)
  • N USA 
  • N Europe
  • H0 Austria (A private branchline in Austria)
  • TT Europe
  • H0 fine
  • Proto 87 
  • 0 + 0e 
  • 00 UK outline 

Because we were in one hall together, the various layouts where all interlaced with each other so that you could be in a position where you had H0 in front of you, turn round and be confronted by N, Walk a few steps and you had 0 on your right, and 1 just a few meters away. 

So, rather than rabbit on, I thought I'd cut to the chase and give you the pretty pictures. So without further ado:

00 UK layout:

XT1A3718_sm.JPG

XT1A3724_sm.JPG

H0 Europe (Ep III)

This coke works is several metres long with amazing detail and wonderful operation potential. A delight just to watch, and even more fun to run trains on.

XT1A3726_sm.JPG

XT1A3727_sm.JPG

Not all industries need to be huge. This wood yard just in front of the above coke plant is approximately 3m long. 

XT1A3762_sm.JPG

XT1A3763_sm.JPG

XT1A3764_sm.JPG

XT1A3765_sm.JPG

This station was over 7m long (not sure exact size), and is based on a real existing station, modelled 1:87, without need for compression of length. It's still being worked on, not every module at a FREMO meet needs to be totally finished, it just needs to run. 

XT1A3716_sm.JPG

Not every station is as large, some are just a simple halt, like this one on the H0e section.

XT1A3751_sm.JPG

Narrow gauge doesn't have to mean small, further down the line is this medium sized NG station.

XT1A3754_sm.JPG

Timber yards were a common industry 

XT1A3799_sm.JPG

XT1A3870_sm.JPG

A FREMO meet can't all be stations and industries, you also need some track between them. A part of the standard is that you should make sure that there is twice the length of track modules as your station (you don't have to provide them yourself, just make sure someone is).

Bridges are a popular choice

XT1A3807_sm.JPG

XT1A3879_sm.JPG

XT1A3883_sm.JPG

XT1A3887_sm.JPG

Another smaller station over in H0. This one had a number of kits by Auhagen, as well as some nice garden details.

XT1A3894_sm.JPG

XT1A3895_sm.JPG

XT1A3896_sm.JPG

XT1A3897_sm.JPG

XT1A3898_sm.JPG

XT1A3900_sm.JPG

Roundhouse with fully working turntable, part of a much larger station

XT1A3908_sm.JPG

H0/H0m interchange station

XT1A3873_sm.JPG

XT1A3874_sm.JPG

Some simple track modules carry a strong message from history - The Iron Curtain

XT1A3903_sm.JPG

Others, the simple nostalgia...

XT1A3901_sm.JPG

H0 Europe Ep IV

A brick works, on the H0e narrow gauge section. 

XT1A3918_sm.JPG

Loco shed with fuelling equipment on H0e.

XT1A3913_640.JPG

Scenic modules.

XT1A3862_sm.JPG

XT1A3863_sm.JPG

XT1A3864_sm.JPG

Papier Fabrike

XT1A3819_sm.JPG

Harbour module 

XT1A3820_sm.JPG

Dual track with over head electric

XT1A3814_sm.JPG

XT1A3815_sm.JPG

H0/H0e interchange station, complete with over head electric. Losely based on Jenbach station in Austria

XT1A3786_sm.JPG

XT1A3787_sm.JPG

XT1A3788_sm.JPG

Other Scales/Gauges

An unusual line side industry on the Austrian private branch line, a fish farm.

XT1A3784_sm.JPG

A roundabout... for trains... in N... This had a wind turbine in the middle of it, photo taken during disassembly.

XT1A3923_sm.JPG

O/Oe Interchange station

XT1A3781_sm.JPG

XT1A3783_sm.JPG

H0 US SG + NG

XT1A3771_sm.JPG

XT1A3773_sm.JPG

XT1A3774_sm.JPG

XT1A3775_sm.JPG

I didn't take too many photos of the 1 section, just these 2. 

XT1A3721_sm.JPG

XT1A3723_sm.JPG

Finally, how do we get all the modules to the meetings? 12 ton trucks, transit vans, box trailers, estate cars, you name it. What ever vehicle, the key to getting things in, is tessellation.

XT1A3907_sm.JPG

For the most part I was taking photos as a way of making notes. I wasn't aiming to produce anything with the photos, so I didn't perhaps photograph as widely as I could have done, I didn't take any of the H0fine or Proto 87 sections, or the TT layout. H0m was largely missed out as I had lots of photos of those modules from previous meetings. But hopefully this post will give you a feel for how the meeting went. If you have any questions about FREMO, modular layouts, modular standards, and the like, feel free to ask.

Thanks

Julia

Archived