my latest mini dockyard layout is here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112958-new-ho-layout-using-3-boxfiles/

Here is a link to Michael Mott's project, the latest page is most relavant, although it is worth reading through as well

http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1158&start=500

Edited by rue_d_etropal

As an aside to the building of the layout, I have been/will be keeping track of how much the complete layout costs me to give anyone contemplating a micro layout an idea of what it might cost. I am assuming that I already own a basic train set (of a controller, loco and some wagons) and so have excluded these and anything I have used that is a common household object.  

The total currently stands at £52.81.

The track makes up most of this (as I have assumed that only a circle came with the train set) along with the board.

In reality, the track actually came from old train sets so didn't actually cost me anything, even though it is included.

Tom,

when people raise issue of cost, I say it is actually better value as you can re-use it should you want to change layout, and points are not damaged. I wonder how many felt the same way when Peco introduced a range of points and flexi track. They also had parts to build your own, but the trend has been towards using ready built points, unless you want something different.

I rarely buy new track. Peco is so well made, second hand is as good and saves a lot of money. I appreciate cost is a factor for some . Using my inset track, would cut into the beer fund.

Given how many people grumble at prices of r2r locos coaches and wagons, I am surprised there is not more kit and scatchbuilding now, but there is less now than a few years ago. Given the way some treat these not so cheap models, I do wonder, but it is their money to spend.

I do wonder at priorities some have with their layouts. It has been said many times that you can't skimp on baseboard,as it will let you down. Similary laying track well is essentual, and many of the problems people report are because track is badly laid. I have had problems like this in the past, and now appreciate it is worth spending more money and doing the job properly first time. I still do sometimes have problems, but it is normlly when I am trying something for first time or am rushing something. I tend to now build in small steps, checking as I go along.

Having said all  this, it is always worth having a try. If you succeed, then OK, you can carry on, but if you fail, no problem, you know your limits and can try another method. We learn more from mistakes than successes.

Tom,

when people raise issue of cost, I say it is actually better value as you can re-use it should you want to change layout, and points are not damaged. I wonder how many felt the same way when Peco introduced a range of points and flexi track. They also had parts to build your own, but the trend has been towards using ready built points, unless you want something different.

I rarely buy new track. Peco is so well made, second hand is as good and saves a lot of money. I appreciate cost is a factor for some . Using my inset track, would cut into the beer fund.

Given how many people grumble at prices of r2r locos coaches and wagons, I am surprised there is not more kit and scatchbuilding now, but there is less now than a few years ago. Given the way some treat these not so cheap models, I do wonder, but it is their money to spend.

I do wonder at priorities some have with their layouts. It has been said many times that you can't skimp on baseboard,as it will let you down. Similary laying track well is essentual, and many of the problems people report are because track is badly laid. I have had problems like this in the past, and now appreciate it is worth spending more money and doing the job properly first time. I still do sometimes have problems, but it is normlly when I am trying something for first time or am rushing something. I tend to now build in small steps, checking as I go along.

Having said all  this, it is always worth having a try. If you succeed, then OK, you can carry on, but if you fail, no problem, you know your limits and can try another method. We learn more from mistakes than successes.

I understand your point about reusing the track and I think the fact it is available when not everyone is willing to have a go is great, however, in my case I don't plan on making another inset track layout for a while (or if I do I will be keeping this one so couldn't reuse track), so the expenditure isn't warranted (not least as it would more than double the current cost).

I too don't buy new set-track (I do buy new code 75 for ballasted layouts) and I agree it is a shame there is less scratch building, hence why I am trying to do as much as I can for this as cheaply as I can and trying out new techniques like inset track.

Tom, my tiebar solution was poorly worded. I meant the sides of the tiebar, not the center. The center is difficult due to the throw of the switch rails in OO, and a plate will be a lot easier to work with than what I did.

Ah right, having another look I will be doing the same sort of thing as you by the looks of it, hopefully the inscribing works as well as it did for you. 

Ah right, having another look I will be doing the same sort of thing as you by the looks of it, hopefully the inscribing works as well as it did for you.

Im actually considering filling and rescribing a good chunk of mine as Im not entirely happy with it.

The section between the point blades as been infilled with plasticard. I will be adding some wiring on the other sections of points (so they are fully live with no reliance on blade contact) before I do the infills. Still thinking about the actual mechanism, will probably go for a wire in tube method as per Alderton.

post-19880-0-70552000-1481656778_thumb.jpg

This also shows the bad cracking on the clay, not quite sure what caused it, probably the tempertaure. (I used PVA underneath some of it and some of it cracked while other bits didn't. The bits I did use PVA on also went the same way with only bits cracking) Any suggestions?

Edited by Twright

It looks like your clay is a good 4mm or so thick. I actually have had one crack, so maybe youre putting too much on at once?

Also, when laying clay, have a small container of water, wet your fingers, and just smooth everything over. The slush you get after is easily scraped off rail tops, so dont worry. But try not to get it in the rail gaps, its a little annoying to pick out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just found this thread. It is looking good. As someone who used to regularly holiday in Weymouth I will follow with interest.

Thanks

Unfortunately progress has stopped for a few weeks due to looming exams but it will start again afterwards.

Very interesting idea Tom and it's a fascinating prototype. Having once travelled on it, I tend to tihnk of the Weymouth Harbour Tramway in terms of boat trains; there must though have once been a lot of shunting of the various quayside sidings before the actual Wymouth Quay station.

Very interesting idea Tom and it's a fascinating prototype. Having once travelled on it, I tend to tihnk of the Weymouth Harbour Tramway in terms of boat trains; there must though have once been a lot of shunting of the various quayside sidings before the actual Wymouth Quay station.

Thanks, most of the pictures of it are also of the boat trains but there was a few sidings and loops so good traffic would have been fairly common. I hope to use 2 cassettes (one either side) to run representations of the boat trains through it.

• 1 month later...

After a long break from any work on Weymouth, the 2nd layer of clay has been added. This will need to be sanded down and a 3rd layer to fill in any cracks that open up will probably be needed. A platform has been added at one end too (steps pushed into it since the photo). Further work will follow soon (I hope) on some of the buildings.

post-19880-0-50458000-1487366694_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

A start has been made on the backscene, it is currently just some lengths of card stuck together and to the back of the board however some suppart will be added later. The length of houses is from Google street view, suitably cropped, printed on paper and then glued on. There will be a wall around the yards which will disguise the lack of ground floor, though it may be added in later. A second track has also bee scribed into the clay, this is to represent one of the loops and will be used as an on scene fiddle yard for any wagons I'm not using to shunt.

post-19880-0-38114400-1487525785_thumb.jpg

The balsa is just supporting the board while it dries.

A follow up to this afternoons post, I have added glazing and doors to the warehouse and glazing to the next door shop. I still have a bit of work to do to the warehouse to add some lintels and the lettering, the lettering changes through the pictures I have of it, anyone got any suggestions as to wording for a general warehouse? Obviously there is more work to do as the row of buildings progresses and there will probably be another one between the current end (red) and the white shop. To balance them there will be a half relief building at the extreme right and maybe also a crane.

post-19880-0-38988200-1487539734_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-38988200-1487539734_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It is coming along very well. I am just not so sure of the angle of the photographed terraced houses to the right of the picture. Will these be behind something else or left as they are?

Thanks, I know what you mean, there will be a warehouse on the right and a street lamp or similar on the left to disguise the edges and a 1 story high wall in front. I will also replace the white painted sheds with 3d ones in front of them to hopefully break up the angle a bit.

• Like 1

Hi,

Just want to give my ten cents and say how grateful I am for you to model this line.

I live on Portland, next to Weymouth and visit the line a lot. This week the road surface is currently being relaid but the tramway is going to stay in situ.

I plan on having my life long layout to be building Weymouth Quay, the entire harbour stretch up to the town bridge. 

If you need any photos for prototypes i'm happy to go out and photograph for you, been using my dslr a lot for it!

Thanks and good luck! James

Hi,

Just want to give my ten cents and say how grateful I am for you to model this line.

I live on Portland, next to Weymouth and visit the line a lot. This week the road surface is currently being relaid but the tramway is going to stay in situ.

I plan on having my life long layout to be building Weymouth Quay, the entire harbour stretch up to the town bridge. 

If you need any photos for prototypes i'm happy to go out and photograph for you, been using my dslr a lot for it!

Thanks and good luck! James

Thank you very much, the full length would be an impressive sight, hence why I can only fit a small compression in. 

I'm sure there are probably a few shots that would be useful, especially for filling out the backscene, I'll send you a PM.