Farish 31 only runs in one direction

maq1988

• RMweb Premium

I've recently joined my layout back together and was running in my Farish 31 that has been in storage. It's running on DC only.

As it made the loop around the track it got caught on the platform edge and jumped a point, and I think it shorted out.

Now it won't run in that direction, anyone got any ideas? PCB looks fine, it runs backwards fine. Other locos work fine. Have locos really become that sensitive to a split second short?

Any help would be great.

Edit: Changed title from Parish. Stupid autocorrect.

• RMweb Premium

I've recently joined my layout back together and was running in my Farish 31 that has been in storage. It's running on DC only.

As it made the loop around the track it got caught on the platform edge and jumped a point, and I think it shorted out.

Now it won't run in that direction, anyone got any ideas? PCB looks fine, it runs backwards fine. Other locos work fine. Have locos really become that sensitive to a split second short?

Any help would be great.

You might like to have a look here, a similar issue;  http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=34910.0

Might be the same problem with the circuit board if the lights on yours have failed the same.

Izzy

• RMweb Premium

Cheers for the suggestions

Kris - I popped the bogies off and all gears look alright and turn freely

Izzy - The post on the other forum seems to be very similar to what I'm experiencing. I think I ran the loco over an electrofrog point that was set against it, so the frog power would have been 'backwards' whilst one bogie would have been powered the right way

Have contacted Bachmann about a warranty repair, or at least a replacement PCB. 

• RMweb Premium

Izzy - The post on the other forum seems to be very similar to what I'm experiencing. I think I ran the loco over an electrofrog point that was set against it, so the frog power would have been 'backwards' whilst one bogie would have been powered the right way

TBH running a loco against a point set the wrong way whether DC or DCC shouldn't have any real effect at all, I'm always doing this and have never had these kind of issues. Does make me wonder if the Farish 31 circuit board is fragile in some way, particular component etc, because you would think the basic design was pretty standard.

Anyway I hope you get it sorted, I have always found Bachmann helpful.

Izzy

Cheers for the suggestions

Kris - I popped the bogies off and all gears look alright and turn freely

Make sure you try to turn the wheels via the gear at the top of the gear tower if you are checking for split gears. I have found that checking by rotating from the driven wheels "up" doesn't always produce the jam.

Two other things occur to me. Firstly if it is a split gear causing jamming the motor will be stalled so you should hear it "hum" secondly, if there is a "hum" you are best of checking for split gears by examining each axle individually under a magnifying glass looking for a crack from the base of a tooth to the axle, these cannot always be seen with the naked eye.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Hi Roy, 

I've spun* the gears from the top with no clicking or jamming at all. Wouldn't the lights still work even if the motor wasn't turning? Both the taillights and headlights no longer work when trying to travel in the faulty direction.

I've had it from new since March and ran it only a few times - so it will still go back under warranty but thanks for the suggestions. I think I've also got a 47 with a split gear which I've not yet investigated.

Archived