Iowa Central Railway

JAMO

I'm waiting now a warm and sunny day/afternoon to complete my two hoppers. The daylight is really helpful for me to see well.

So, anyway, I've began to install the backdrop holder with 5 mm plywood. I've increased the height to permit to install a higher grain elevator.

You can see the left end (with the hole in the sky): the height was too low. A low window to see the layout gives an impression of longer layout but it's a pain for scenery and especially here because of the future elevator: in O scale the elevator will be high.

post-27876-0-00901400-1523775771_thumb.jpg

post-27876-0-44667700-1523775771_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Are those latest stirrups an experiment with plastic strip?

I tried it a while back but had problems bending it - bend 'cold' & the strip snapped; bending 'warm' over a candle was so hit-and-miss it was too much trouble!!

Mind you, it's been many years since I did the 'stretched sprue' trick over a candle, to get rigging wires for my Airfix aircraft kits!! :D

Re backscene height, the higher the better I think, especially in O scale! On my Portway Center layout I got backscenes almost 2ft high, most of which was sky, to try & get that "wide open spaces" Mid-West feel. On my loft layout the vertical backscenes are just 9 inches high, before the sloping pitch of the ceiling starts, & the effect is just not the same. Baseboard height was decided by other factors though, rather than how high the backscenes would be.

• Like 1

My stirrups are made of... paper... only paper: it's easy to bend it and to keep the shape, I use CA (Loctite 401 glue). They keep some flexibility but they are stronger than the plastic items from Intermountain.

I tried to use styrene there is a long time ago. I didn't found any good solution: like you no possibility of binding (I used hot water): the angle was always cracking.

I tried with fine strips of nickel silver but the paint cracked despite the use of a good primer..

So the best and finest material I found is paper. Simple paper... maybe kiss system of mimo system.

About backdrops, I think I'll keep the 2ft high board. That's a good idea.

9 inches high isn't a lot but you do as you can. The loft space is limited by the roof. I like your layout even if you have only a 9 inches vertical backdrop. No problem.

My problem (because I have one... of course) is the ceiling height of my basement: it's only 6 feet and a few more inches high. I don't have any space to store was I want (above the layout for example). I have too much stuff... but it's life.

My stirrups are made of... paper... only paper: it's easy to bend it and to keep the shape, I use CA (Loctite 401 glue). They keep some flexibility but they are stronger than the plastic items from Intermountain.

So the best and finest material I found is paper. Simple paper... maybe kiss system of mimo system.

Paper!!!???!! Amazing!! I would never have guessed if you hadn't said!! 

Jacky - that is sheer GENIUS!!! :good:  :yes:  :clapping:

I like to find the best material to represent the real thing. That's a opportunity of the scratchbuilding's pleasures.

And the paper becomes rusted metal when decorated. It's like the Cinderella's pumpkin carriage transformation   :mosking:

Thank you to Humbrol paints and thinner!

I have some weathering to do again to increase realism.

post-27876-0-74627900-1524325802_thumb.jpg

post-27876-0-50081200-1524325803_thumb.jpg

post-27876-0-08063200-1524325804_thumb.jpg

post-27876-0-61546500-1524325804_thumb.jpg

Edited by JAMO
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The light one is rather nice, although the stones make it look like well maintained track. It might be a touch too light, though.

Personally, I go for Humbrol gunmetal applied as a wash: about 5% of the ordinary gunmetal paint, a little bit of the metallic version, and the rest thinners. Applied in a leisurely fashion, with multiple coats to build up the colour until it is of sufficient depth for your tastes. The addition of a little bit of the metalcote adds a faint sheen, reminiscent of creosoted wood that has been out in the sun for a couple (or more) of decades. I used to apply it as a 10% solution, putting it and the ties into a jar, but the results were not consistent if ties stuck to each other due to surface tension, and I had less control.

This was all last done about 15 years ago, on something which ended up on the local tip - but not because of the track, well, not the ties, anyway: they looked good.

although the stones make it look like well maintained track.

Ah, I knew there was something else that didn't look quite right, but couldn't work it out. Simon's put his finger on it - the ballast looks rather too coarse to me. Especially for old yard tracks. Just my opinion. ;)

Many thanks to you for all your reply. At the beginning my choice was more oriented to the right piece of track with dark sleepers but you have persuaded me to make more clear colors.

Yes the ballast looks maybe too coarse but it's my only solution if I don't want to buy again.

The idea to use washes of metal gun or a dark mat color can be interesting! I'll try!

• 1 month later...

This O scale track photo found on FB inspires me:

post-27876-0-83416600-1534624801_thumb.jpg

I think it's a good representation of an old "Iowan" track during fall season (my theme)

So I decided to begin to paint my track with diluted Matt brown enamel paint.

post-27876-0-15153700-1534625031_thumb.jpg

post-27876-0-87284900-1534625281_thumb.jpg

post-27876-0-29315900-1534625371_thumb.jpg

post-27876-0-82022100-1534625428_thumb.jpg

post-27876-0-93315600-1534625469_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a weathering test on the rails: inside dark the outside of the track.

And I have added a fishplate.

I'm pleased with the result.

post-27876-0-03429000-1535877732_thumb.jpg

Now I have a lot of work to add the details to the track, the turnouts and to complete all the trackage...

To be continued...  :locomotive:

• Like 6

Thank you.

Yes these fishplates are cosmetic. Underneath, there are nickel-silver soldered fishplates.

I make them by myself with... thin cardboard.

post-27876-0-43769300-1536517482.png

post-27876-0-32659600-1536517508.png

post-27876-0-10314000-1536517543.png

post-27876-0-67705800-1536517520.png

No I don't have Mike Cougill's book.

Edited by JAMO
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Bonjour Jack,

Just found your layout on here and wanted to say very nice and inspirational.  I've enjoyed reading through this story of the Iowa Central.

You've inspired me to think about building a small micro O layout about 14' x 2' based somewhere in Canada in the 70's,  perhaps a Lumber Co.

I'm already building a 7mm English railway 9'x14',  but after seeing what you've been able to do in a small space,  I think perhaps a small second project might be possible.

Can't beat O scale for atmosphere and the feeling of real railroading !

Felix

• Like 1