Iowa Central Railway

JAMO

Bonjour Jack,

Just found your layout on here and wanted to say very nice and inspirational.  I've enjoyed reading through this story of the Iowa Central.

You've inspired me to think about building a small micro O layout about 14' x 2' based somewhere in Canada in the 70's,  perhaps a Lumber Co.

I'm already building a 7mm English railway 9'x14',  but after seeing what you've been able to do in a small space,  I think perhaps a small second project might be possible.

Can't beat O scale for atmosphere and the feeling of real railroading !

Felix

Hello Felix!

Thank you for your comments. Yes O scale gives atmosphere and great presence of the rolling stock. Yes, the feeling of real railroading. That's right.

That trackwork is seriously looking the business now Jack.

You'll be ballasting in no tme! :D

Thank you Dan!

I still have to complete the track before to ballast it. 

I have yet the ballast:  :locomotive:

post-27876-0-83744800-1538586102.png

• 2 weeks later...

Aquarium sand makes such awesome ballast. As does Chinchilla Dust, to be honest. I used a mix of both on my layouts.

Good idea to mix both products! That's cheap and gives realistic result!

Jack,

There's a gentleman over on the MRH forums asking for updates on the Iowa Central. I'm not sure if you've seen it?

Thanks,

Dan

I've reactivated my thread on the MRH. Thank you Dan.

Edited by JAMO

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is going to look pretty awesome, Jack. How tall is it?

Thank you. Yes I hope this structure will be a nice one and the signature of the layout.

It's 46 cm high. Not enough for me but I haven't a lot more space. I think the lighting board will hide the top.

Thank you. Yes I hope this structure will be a nice one and the signature of the layout.

It's 46 cm high. Not enough for me but I haven't a lot more space. I think the lighting board will hide the top.

Just over 18", or a foot & a half, in Old Money. Certainly big enough to dominate the scene nicely, just like the real thing would do. :good:

Just over 18", or a foot & a half, in Old Money. Certainly big enough to dominate the scene nicely, just like the real thing would do. :good:

"Old Money".  :laugh:

Yes the building is big enough. And I'll add more grain tanks around. 

"Old Money".  :laugh:

Yes, a reference to quaint old British things like £-s-d Pounds, Shillings and pence, when 240 pence made up one Pound; replaced by Decimal (100p = £1) in 1971. My age group (born 1967) is the last generation of Brits that remember the old money - just!! - and probably also the last people to even use that phrase.

Also applies to Imperial measurements instead of metric. We still use a mish-mash of the two, of course - miles and pints survive, although litres is now more common, and I no longer know what petrol costs per gallon (I'd probably faint if I did!!). The Americans still use Imperial exclusively, of course, although I have trouble understanding their decimal 'less than an Inch' measurements, rather than fractions.

• Like 1

Ah ok, thank you, I understand!

I think it's not easy to change from the Imperial system of measurement to the metric one.

For me, I have difficulties to understand the Imperial system: I must convert each time to understand.

It's funny.

Another time I've discussed with that with an English friend of mine. We had a long talk together to explain to each other how it works. It was very interesting.

When we go to the bar for a beer, we can ask for a pint too! 

I'm not far of you in age: born in 1969.   :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you Felix.

Yes I stay cool in my basement. The weather has changed several times from hot to rain. Hot weather came back in July.

2003, I remember. It was very hot! We had the same weather in 2019.

At this time I have nothing to show. No progress on this layout. I'm preparing another O scale layout (a French one) for an exhibition in January. I hope I'll have more time to continue the Iowa Central soon.

;) 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...