Iowa Central Railway

JAMO

I've decided to bring this layout to exhibitions. The "modules screwed on the shelf" version wasn't interesting: I was boring.

So I decided to "unscrew" it. :D

And the first connexions between the two modules was made.

Here are the very first photos of the new start: 

2105215205_Extensionmodules1.jpg.a9ad36f38e849a3f7e78a51f204a75e3.jpg

1712380881_Extensionmodules2.jpg.ef8568a577fbb79be324696deb8670a1.jpg

Stay tuned...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

You're going to hate me but...... I wish I'd seen your grain elevator earlier. I've got a complete set of architectural drawings for the standard 1923 pool elevator. Canadian, but the wooden design was pretty standard across the prairies. The metal ones could be anything but still tended to stick to the basic design shape. The single tower elevators (99.9%) used a ratio of 1-2-3. That is the base is square and = 1. The height from ground to the cupola = 2 times the base length. The coupla height = the base length. So the total height should be 3 times the length and width of the elevator. 

• Informative/Useful 3

Yes, now, I have to hate you :laugh_mini:

No, it's very informative. Thank you Andrew!

I didn't know these proportions of building. If I could know that before to build mine...

It will help me a lot when I build my HO scale one.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sorry about that. Sadly both the commercial models in HO are wrong. The Walthers one is too short by about 30mm. The Kanamodel kit isn’t square. One day when I have the time I’ll replace both my Kanamodel elevators. (Pics in my module thread linked in my signature)

• Like 1

On 24/10/2019 at 17:44, AndrewC said:

Sorry about that. Sadly both the commercial models in HO are wrong. The Walthers one is too short by about 30mm. 

NOW you tell us..!!! :shout:

The fact my HO Elevator is trying to do a desperate 'very forced perspective' impression on my O Scale layout probably doesn't help, either :jester:

000031678208.Jpeg.493a38abed597e232a98dc12725cf866.Jpeg

• Like 5

What a nice view of your layout!

Your track look very good. I like the curved turnout.

The HO scale elevator isn't bad looking. You explained your layout is seen at eye level so this elevator can be seen as something far in the scenery: forced perspective! Great!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JAMO said:

What a nice view of your layout!

Your track look very good. I like the curved turnout.

Thanks, it's 4ft radius outer curve, 3ft inner. There were no O Scale templates for such a switch so I enlarged a Fast Tracks HO template of a 24in/18in curves switch ;)

It also features my attempt at a rail-bound manganese frog.

000031682560.Jpeg.5754976ebfb21f0afd04e71cb143c76a.Jpeg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there!

With one of my son, we had a visit to a garden center we were looking for Lemax and other Christmas items for him. I found a very intersting product to represent the ballast "in scale" from the animals materials.

Here is a photo of the result. The tiny stones aren't glued but we can have a good sample. The size of the stones looks perfect for O scale.

I just need to add a little wash to give a little of color because it's too white and to weather the ballast.

973103406_RseauJM011.JPG.51dcde24610e7a7fd5c79d2593ddc340.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

More... now, the grain elevator

To keep the total elevator inside my black box presentation, I had to cut the head of this building.

It was not only during the French Revolution we have cut off the heads :P:laugh_mini:

1737856408_RseauJM012.JPG.bded9abf693b9abb2ab58062e721a512.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1