Hornby Britannia

Philipjohn52

• RMweb Gold

I am seeking help from the modelling community in respect of front loco steps for the Hornby Britannia. I can't find any in the Hornby spares range, and was wondering if there are any alternatives available.

All replies gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Philip

Long shot, but if you find an old mainline / Bachmann 4mt tender body, the steps here are of a similar hollow / similar type.

I'm presuming that you have already enquired of: http://www.petersspares.com/ (other sources of spares may be available)?

Or have you e-mailed Hornby customer service? http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/partsandspares

And which model 'Brit' is it - the latest? the spares provider will need to know.

• RMweb Premium

A full fret of Steps for BR Standard  locos and tenders was in the Comet range and I'd guess the new owner will have continued production of these. I think it was 51L/ Wizard Models, but stand to be corrected.

Regards,

John

Thanks for all the replies. I have gone through Peter's Spares website and the Hornby one as well, but will give them a call. I have also managed to find the relevant Comet etch and will establish its availability. Failing all that the 4 mt tender option looks promising as I have found a few on a well known website.

Thanks again to all who took the trouble to reply, much appreciated.

Philip

• 1 month later...

So, decided late in the day it is time for 70013 to join the fleet.

The only correct Hornby model is 70010 Owen Glendower. Does anyone have any leads to shop(s) which may still have stock?

Long shot... please PM.

70010 has: correct roof hatches, sandboxes, smoke deflectors, fluted coupling rods, tender cab and BR1 tender. I am not aware that any other Brit has this combination of detail.

Pointers hugely welcomed! Thanks

• RMweb Gold

So, decided late in the day it is time for 70013 to join the fleet.

The only correct Hornby model is 70010 Owen Glendower. Does anyone have any leads to shop(s) which may still have stock?

Long shot... please PM.

70010 has: correct roof hatches, sandboxes, smoke deflectors, fluted coupling rods, tender cab and BR1 tender. I am not aware that any other Brit has this combination of detail.

Pointers hugely welcomed! Thanks

Shops ? I regret that the only place you are likely to get your hands on one of these is on ebay.The release was several years ago. Stocks of such will be long gone from retailers' shelves.

There is an Oliver Cromwell on eBay at the moment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322348087695

The NRM special edition from when they were first release.

A note about this Ebay offering, the box is worn and all the pictures are from Hattons ads and are not of the model for sale, which is admitted in the text,  where it is described as brand new and never removed from box, the seller does not accept returns.  Caveat emptor.

typos...  dislexia!  :)

Edited by robmcg

Also that the original Hornby NRM Cromwell had the incorrect cab roof vents (narrow rather than wide) for 70013 as preserved, or indeed as running in 1968...! Hence my hunt.

I could also settle for a Clive of India R2992XS model (also has incorrect sand box fillers for Cromwell)... again if anyone knows where stock could be had...

• RMweb Gold

Also that the original Hornby NRM Cromwell had the incorrect cab roof vents (narrow rather than wide) for 70013 as preserved, or indeed as running in 1968...! Hence my hunt.

I could also settle for a Clive of India R2992XS model (also has incorrect sand box fillers for Cromwell)... again if anyone knows where stock could be had...

Owen Glendower on ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-OO-GAUGE-R2835-BR-4-6-2-BRITANNIA-CLASS-OWEN-GLENDOWER-70010-LOCOMOTIVE-/361848483134?hash=item543fd9ad3e:g:uPkAAOSwvzRXzrMC

Worth noting that the coupling rods are pretty easy to change, I've done it on a couple of Britannia's ;)

Edited by toboldlygo

• 2 months later...

X9599 listed on Peters Spares website : Hornby Spares Page 7.

Usual disclaimer, no commercial interest etc.

Regards,

John

Thanks, but a) peters spares not in stock, and b) see my post; from pictures X9599 appears to be fluted not plain. Is this a photographic error?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, but a) peters spares not in stock, and b) see my post; from pictures X9599 appears to be fluted not plain. Is this a photographic error?

Apologies G-BOAF, I only noticed the coupling rods while browsing for another item and obviously overlooked the 'not in stock' note.

I hesitate to suggest that the rods may be fluted on one side and plain on the other and therefore interchangeable to suit specific models. Someone else will know better than me.

I hope you manage to source rods suitable for your loco.

Regards,

John

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have 70004 William Shakespeare which predates your model by a few years I think.  Mine has the decoder socket in the tender and fitting a decoder (Lenz Standard+) was a doddle. I'm pretty sure yours has a tender socket too. Easy check - has it got a 4-wire plug to the engine?

I have 70004 William Shakespeare which predates your model by a few years I think.  Mine has the decoder socket in the tender and fitting a decoder (Lenz Standard+) was a doddle. I'm pretty sure yours has a tender socket too. Easy check - has it got a 4-wire plug to the engine?

Hi

Chears for that yes plug in tender so hopefully the chip will arrive Tuesday or Wednesday so hopefully all goes well

Thanks

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought a complete replacement valve gear for my Britannia (R3295 Earl Haig), straight out of the packet it is very stiff and the cross head won’t move the full length of the slide bars. I have tried adding a little light machine oil, but this doesn’t seem to have cured it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

I have bought a complete replacement valve gear for my Britannia (R3295 Earl Haig), straight out of the packet it is very stiff and the cross head won’t move the full length of the slide bars. I have tried adding a little light machine oil, but this doesn’t seem to have cured it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

The obvious thing to say is send it back as it should all be very free moving, If for any reason this isnt possible I'd check that all individual parts are straight and true. Was this a new replacement part or used (sellers like PetersSpares normally list this on the website)? I beleive a lot (most?) spares come from models that have failed in some way. You may have a failed part or a part that has been damaged by some other failure for example. 

• 5 months later...

Well, the 15 Guinea Special pack is here.

Overall decoration seems good, albeit the green is a little dull. Correctly, there is no speedo, although technically there should be the drive lever fixed to the rod. Good to see the revised smoke deflectors back in the range.

But what is going on with the centre driving wheels?

https://images.railsofsheffield.com/product-images.axd/r3607IMG_9630.jpg?preset=large

On a flat surface there should not be daylight under the flanges? Once again, it seems that Hornby have failed to correct tool wear/shoddy machining. In defence of Hornby, this is NOT confined to their current factories. My 'Royal' Britannia (a late SK production in 2012) has the problem and I have failed to fix it even with careful packing; I sense the front axles are also off true, at least in that case...