Hornby Britannia

Philipjohn52

Photos of the loco on the day in 1968 don't appear to show overhead warning flashes. Can't see any rear views of the tender, but certainly the loco herself appears devoid.

Ian

Some on the rear of the tender the week before.

post-2049-0-45818000-1538679863.jpg

Stewart

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

It would seem someone nicked em in the last weeks between July 21st and August 4th 1968.

https://inostalgia.co.uk/the-end-of-steam/

August 4th

https://www.flickr.com/photos/david_christie/7047846369

So it is indeed correct. Does it come with a 1T57 headboard ?

Although without speedo, it did have the Speedo crank.

Edited by adb968008

I'm interested as a renumbering exercise more than the actual authenticity of the model. I've yet to peruse David Heys' excellent Britannia website for a suitable prototype but having read said resource, I'm aware the Brit's received a number of alterations at Doncaster including steps, smoke deflectors and aws fitting. (Strictly speaking for my 1959 period, I believe one of my current stud of GE Pacifics should have these.)

I take it this model would be appropriate for almost any '59 Stratford or Norwich Brit after its first general overhaul?

And are the likes of Rails likely to split the loco from the coaches?

C6T.

I'm interested as a renumbering exercise more than the actual authenticity of the model. I've yet to peruse David Heys' excellent Britannia website for a suitable prototype but having read said resource, I'm aware the Brit's received a number of alterations at Doncaster including steps, smoke deflectors and aws fitting. (Strictly speaking for my 1959 period, I believe one of my current stud of GE Pacifics should have these.)

I take it this model would be appropriate for almost any '59 Stratford or Norwich Brit after its first general overhaul?

C6T.

The RCTS book on the standard pacifics is a great starting point. Not all got speedos, there are minimum of three smoke deflector types - original with a handrail / western with brass edged cut-outs / wcml dished hand-grabs - then there are different connecting rods either plain or fluted, depending on when built. I'd try and hunt down 70034 Thomas Hardy for a later GE loco, though the Hornby model has the early crest and no AWS box on the running plate.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mancunian

Well, the 15 Guinea Special pack is here.

Overall decoration seems good, albeit the green is a little dull. Correctly, there is no speedo, although technically there should be the drive lever fixed to the rod. Good to see the revised smoke deflectors back in the range.

But what is going on with the centre driving wheels?

https://images.railsofsheffield.com/product-images.axd/r3607IMG_9630.jpg?preset=large

On a flat surface there should not be daylight under the flanges? Once again, it seems that Hornby have failed to correct tool wear/shoddy machining. In defence of Hornby, this is NOT confined to their current factories. My 'Royal' Britannia (a late SK production in 2012) has the problem and I have failed to fix it even with careful packing; I sense the front axles are also off true, at least in that case...

Sand Boxes/Sand Pipes missing... and WHY do Hornby show the speedo' fitted but then say it shouldn't..??    When asked, they said that some photo's show it with and some show it without the speedo'!!     They showed the correct type of tender of a recent Southern Pacific and then decided to offer a different version tender-top.

Sand Boxes/Sand Pipes missing... and WHY do Hornby show the speedo' fitted but then say it shouldn't..??    When asked, they said that some photo's show it with and some show it without the speedo'!!     They showed the correct type of tender of a recent Southern Pacific and then decided to offer a different version tender-top.

Good spot on the sand pipe issue. I didn't notice that. Very strange. Cost cutting? Lazy factory?

Speedo - it seems for Aug 68 there was no speedo, although the drive crank was there. Hornby really should have fitted a speedo and extended crank wheel, and just left off the cable!

The missing sand boxes are CORRECT. There were two types of box, one flush with the running plate, and one (larger capacity? easier to fill?) raised above. 70013 has the original flush type (although it seems Hornby has never moulded the filler covers into the running plate). 70000 was fitted with the revised boxes at some point in its career (although I think only on the rear two driving wheels).

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:BR_Standard_Class_7_70013_Oliver_Cromwell#/media/File:70013_%27Oliver_Cromwell%27_Leicester_North_GCR_(9054166675).jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BR_Standard_Class_7_70000_Britannia#/media/File:Britannia_at_Severn_Tunnel_Junction,_September_2012.jpg

Guest Mancunian

Good spot on the sand pipe issue. I didn't notice that. Very strange. Cost cutting? Lazy factory?

Speedo - it seems for Aug 68 there was no speedo, although the drive crank was there. Hornby really should have fitted a speedo and extended crank wheel, and just left off the cable!

The missing sand boxes are CORRECT. There were two types of box, one flush with the running plate, and one (larger capacity? easier to fill?) raised above. 70013 has the original flush type (although it seems Hornby has never moulded the filler covers into the running plate). 70000 was fitted with the revised boxes at some point in its career (although I think only on the rear two driving wheels).

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:BR_Standard_Class_7_70013_Oliver_Cromwell#/media/File:70013_%27Oliver_Cromwell%27_Leicester_North_GCR_(9054166675).jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BR_Standard_Class_7_70000_Britannia#/media/File:Britannia_at_Severn_Tunnel_Junction,_September_2012.jpg

I meant to add that Hornby are aware of the sand pipes issue and should have supplies within the next 2-3 weeks...a quick 'phone call should secure your order for the missing items.

• RMweb Premium

From my own past experience, it depends upon how well the Sets sell. If a retailer can sell its Sets within a reasonable timescale, then it won't split them, but if they hang around on the shelves then they may well do so. Another factor will be how well the separate models will sell. In this case I can see plenty of demand for the Brit, but how many people will want three Mk1 coaches that they could buy individually, perhaps at a lower price. Hornby has released both maroon and blue/grey Mk1 coaches recently so those liveries are unlikely to attract sales because its the only way of getting them.

Train Sets and Packs apparently sell best in the run up to Christmas, so I can't see anyone offering to split them beforehand, but it does no harm to ask.

Edited by brushman47544

Well, the 15 Guinea Special pack is here.

Overall decoration seems good, albeit the green is a little dull. Correctly, there is no speedo, although technically there should be the drive lever fixed to the rod. Good to see the revised smoke deflectors back in the range.

But what is going on with the centre driving wheels?

https://images.railsofsheffield.com/product-images.axd/r3607IMG_9630.jpg?preset=large

On a flat surface there should not be daylight under the flanges? Once again, it seems that Hornby have failed to correct tool wear/shoddy machining. In defence of Hornby, this is NOT confined to their current factories. My 'Royal' Britannia (a late SK production in 2012) has the problem and I have failed to fix it even with careful packing; I sense the front axles are also off true, at least in that case...

I find it astonishing that someone can complain about the missing return crank, which incidentally is fixed to the crank pin and not the coupling rod, yet not notice the ugly chimney with the massively overscale lip which appears to have a scale thickness of about 1 foot, and completely spoil the appearance of the engine.

• RMweb Gold

From my own past experience, it depends upon how well the Sets sell. If a retailer can sell its Sets within a reasonable timescale, then it won't split them, but if they hang around on the shelves then they may well do so. Another factor will be how well the separate models will sell. In this case I can see plenty of demand for the Brit, but how many people will want three Mk1 coaches that they could buy individually, perhaps at a lower price. Hornby has released both maroon and blue/grey Mk1 coaches recently so those liveries are unlikely to attract sales because its the only way of getting them.

Train Sets and Packs apparently sell best in the run up to Christmas, so I can't see anyone offering to split them beforehand, but it does no harm to ask.

Ive got a previous issue 70013, so i’m interested in the coaches, if for nothing else they are a variation on the 1968 theme.

I find it astonishing that someone can complain about the missing return crank, which incidentally is fixed to the crank pin and not the coupling rod, yet not notice the ugly chimney with the massively overscale lip which appears to have a scale thickness of about 1 foot, and completely spoil the appearance of the engine.

My point about the speedo crank is that it IS within Hornby's range of parts and could have been fitted with no extra tooling etc. And yes I meant crank not rod.

If someone can do a white metal or turned brass chimney lip replacement, I'd jump. But it is as it is. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has solutions and I'm a little surprised taht the aftermarket world has not produced a better version.

The model is not quite perfect I recognise that. Aside from the Chimney, I'm not too happy about the shape of the cab front windows (top corners), or the tool join on the boiler shoulders. But my original grip on Cromwell was around things that Hornby could have done with no changes/retooling.

Guest Mancunian

My point about the speedo crank is that it IS within Hornby's range of parts and could have been fitted with no extra tooling etc. And yes I meant crank not rod.

If someone can do a white metal or turned brass chimney lip replacement, I'd jump. But it is as it is. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has solutions and I'm a little surprised taht the aftermarket world has not produced a better version.

The model is not quite perfect I recognise that. Aside from the Chimney, I'm not too happy about the shape of the cab front windows (top corners), or the tool join on the boiler shoulders. But my original grip on Cromwell was around things that Hornby could have done with no changes/retooling.

There is a firm in (Mid/South??) Wales who supplied me with cast chimneys a short time ago but it's going to take some filing to remove the plastic moulding that's part of the boiler.

Just thinking...it may well be "247 Developments"...     The reason that I decided to do something was because I purchased two Britannia's and both had their caps missing!!

Guest Mancunian

There is a firm in (Mid/South??) Wales who supplied me with cast chimneys a short time ago but it's going to take some filing to remove the plastic moulding that's part of the boiler.

Just thinking...it may well be "247 Developments"...     The reason that I decided to do something was because I purchased two Britannia's and both had their caps missing!!

https://www.247developments.co.uk/

• 2 months later...

A brief update,  Oliver Cromwell and the 15 guinea special at a good price in the January Sales:

https://www.collettsmodelshop.co.uk/product/Hornby-r3607-15-guinea-special-train-pack/

Just to confirm - there is no speedo cable - the pretext being that it was missing on the last day.

Also as reported above the sandpipes have been missed off and a telephone call / email to Hornby will provide the missing items:

post-9031-0-98627500-1547293882_thumb.jpg

Again as is mentioned above, the centre driving wheel on my model does not touch the track.  Haulage seems unaffected but I can imagine that progress through turnouts is much rougher.

Ray

...chimney lip ... I'd be interested to hear if anyone has solutions and I'm a little surprised that the aftermarket world has not produced a better version...

The rim is (or at least was on my purchases when model was first released over ten years ago) a separate piece to the chimney body.

Remove, clamp in a suitable arrangement on your rotary tool and attack it with files to reprofile. (The Brit looks 'interesting' with a stovepipe...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The rim is (or at least was on my purchases when model was first released over ten years ago) a separate piece to the chimney body.

Remove, clamp in a suitable arrangement on your rotary tool and attack it with files to reprofile. (The Brit looks 'interesting' with a stovepipe...

There is an interesting photo of the Brit model in component form in the new catalogue. Can’t check if the rim is seperate at the mo as the catalogue is at home and I’m in the pub :)

An update - 'Hens Teeth' fitted (Sand Pipes).  You do need good lighting.

45811958465_650039a32a_b.jpg
Missing sand pipes fitted - Oliver Cromwell MkII

32852438788_f48723ea54_b.jpg
Hornby R3607 15 Guinea Special - Oliver Cromwell MkII

It runs a lot better now that I have tightened one of the coupling rod bolts that was catching the connecting rod. It took a few minutes to figure out why it would run forwards but kept locking up backwards.  I have also reattached (glued) the lubricators that were loose from the chassis.

Cheers  Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines

Is there any way of making that front regulator linkage along the boiler sit straight?  A bit of a droop there might respond to some judicious bending?

Did not the prototypes have an added bracket somewhere in the regulator linkages?   One of those many 'in service' mods over  the years,from memory.

Nice model, nice subdued lining.

cheers.  

Yes - it does bother me.

Is there any way of making that front regulator linkage along the boiler sit straight?  ..  

At present it is well glued in place (unlike some other bits).  It needs to come out and either shortened or as I have done in the past - the fitting at the 'pivot' needs cleaning out with a 0.5mm dril bit (by hand) which should allow the surplus wire to fit more comfortably.

Cheers  Ray

DSC01843.JPG

Again as is mentioned above, the centre driving wheel on my model does not touch the track.  Haulage seems unaffected but I can imagine that progress through turnouts is much rougher.

Ray

This is so annoying. Yet they fit pickups... this is clearly a manufacturing flaw; its been present through several batches and Hornby have not done anything!

This aside, good to see a pic of 70013 on here, and the modified deflectors back in the range. The green is a little 'Hornby King' in its lack of depth; I suspect this is due to the tone of varnish used.

One observation (in addition to my comment on the speedo crank above) is that they have used the incorrect steps on the tender body. They should not have the cutouts in them, but rather be solid (or near solid). Hornby have tooled up the part, they might as well be using it (unless its no longer available)?

Compare

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/R3607_3370535_Qty1_3.jpg

with

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/R2565_2.jpg

Anyway, priority for Hornby should be to fix the chassis/centre driving wheel issue!!!

Edited by G-BOAF