Pointless Layouts !

ThePurplePrimer

I have seen one pointless layout in the 'flesh' that made me rethink what you need for a good layout.

Can you point me (groan) to other layouts without any pointwork ( in the scenic section ) that you think could inspire me.

I am interested in any styles but something suitable for storing a collection of wagons ( among other things ) would be especially interesting but please don't let that stop you suggesting other genres

Small, Broad and Totally Pointless:

It has a traverser under the train shed for the loco to run round

post-7091-0-48865400-1477305222.jpg

Abbotsbridge 2:

Same design as SB&TP, but does have a crossover as I didn't want an exact clone

post-7091-0-76034400-1477305245.jpg

Cheapside Yard:

The O-16.5 bit has points, but the O gauge is a 3-2-2 inglenook with a traverser instead of points

post-7091-0-98069400-1477305209.jpg

Both SB&TP and Abbotsbridge have the same design of fiddle yard, that acts as the rest of the railway system, and also as the pointwork in the half of the station I'm not modelling:

post-7091-0-59936300-1477305235.jpg

Hi all

I have made one pointless layout - Norfolk Coke and Tar Company.

I have also made two layouts with just one point each - Merlins Lane and Sefton Yard..

All three in O Gauge although could easily have been just a flexible in OO..

Drawings can be seen on my website https://kelvinsrailways.wordpress.com/

I used a traverser on NCandT which covers three tracks. If this had not been a pointless layout, it would have needed to be nearly double the size and have been less flexible.

I have to admit on these layouts I purposely tried to have as fewer points as possible. Cost and space were the main reasons for this.

The inspiration for these layouts came from Mr Colin French, the arch exponent of pointless layouts.

Regards

Kelvin B

I rarely get inspiration from model railways, I look at the real thing. Most layouts look very compressed in comparison.

I like to model LMS pacifics, 4-6-0s etc & AC Electrics & wanted to re-create a real location so I really needed to find somewhere on the WCML.

I found somewhere only about 3 miles from Euston: South Hampstead.

I am modelling the section between Primrose Hill tunnel & passing under Loudoun Road, which is about 7' in 4mm scale. The real station passes under this road so I won't model that bit.

A 6 track main line needs quite a substantial fiddle yard to support it, but the scenic section has no pointwork.

I have had the retaining walls & tunnel mouths in place & I was pleased that it did not look compressed.

A friend of mine has told me it would look better with a siding or 2 but that would make it look compressed & it wouldn't be South Hampstead would it? :no:

The first time I ran an 8 coach express (on bare boards) it all seemed to make sense.

• RMweb Premium

I made a 0-16.5 layout in a plant pot. Just a circle of track, totally pointless.

The scenery was real growing plants - that was my Mothers contribution. At one show a lady asked if the water crane actually worked, so for the next show it did - water running out using a tiny pump.

My loco was powered by a spud; after several exhibitions it self destructed as the outside wheels have a longer run than the inside wheels.

I made a 0-16.5 layout in a plant pot. Just a circle of track, totally pointless.

My loco was powered by a spud; after several exhibitions it self destructed as the outside wheels have a longer run than the inside wheels.

Great idea.  Maybe to operate it reliably you should design an 0-3-0 with two powered wheels on one side and an unpowered one on the other side or simply turn down the tyres on the inside wheels to balance out the smaller circumference of the inner rail.

The Seawall between Dawlish and Teignmouth has short sections between tunnels with no points which would make a great model if you could build it in the bathroom and watch from the bath while making realistic waves.     Probably best not to build it in the only bathroom  as it may not impress lady friends. 

The scenery was real growing plants - that was my Mothers contribution. At one show a lady asked if the water crane actually worked, so for the next show it did - water running out using a tiny pump.

I initially interpreted that as you powered it from a potato battery.

Which would have been appropriate.

Archived