Bachmann Warship

neal

I note that the new release Warship is imminent (April/May)

At £54 DCC fitted (with lights - an upgrade from previous releases) this seems very good value for money.

Indeed the DCC ready one is only £45 at certain on line retailers.

I have an older version (Zulu in blue - now weathered to near scrapyard condition) and still think this is a good model.

I would be interested to hear what the known issues are with details/accuracy as I understand this model has roots in the mainline original. I have pre-ordered Champion, in case the price goes up when it arrives!

N

The tooling is based on the Mainline model, but it's got enough tweaks to stop you swopping chassis (screw points revised etc). Despite the ancient ancestry of the model it's still a nice piece of kit, even moreso with DCC socket and lights. I have a couple of the early Bachmann ones so I'll probably pass on this latest batch though.

• RMweb Gold

I purchased a Warship from a local shop last year for £10 sold as a non-runner. Well I got it home and took it apart and it ran, all that was wrong with it was a screw was too tight and was catching one of the fly wheels! Now it runs with Alan Gibson P4 wheels and is a beauty! But £54 is very good value, shame it's not being done in plain green mind.

Regards,

Nick

The other issue with some of the Bachmann ones, and something to watch out for if buying used/old stock, is that the first batch were made with a body that sits about 1mm too low. This is difficult to correct because it is designed in to the bogie-chassis mounting.

Of the 5 Bachmann Warships I have, only one (32-052 D816 Eclipse) has this issue. The other 4 (32-054 and newer) are the correct height. The Mainline Warships were also the correct height.

Adrian

The big annoyance on them is the moulded on windscreen wipers still being present and the roof detail obviously only suits the one type and not the other.

Warships are an absolute devil for detail differences which goes way beyond the roof - I'd even go as far as saying the worst of all the D&E classes! Off the top of my head there was variations in the underframes, kick plates, lamp irons, handrails, driver card holders, air intakes and more. There was a really good article in Celebrating Western Power (Vol. 8) which detailed a lot of these. I recall a conversation with a chap some years ago who said that if all the Warships where painted the same colour, it would be possible to ID almost all of them from a unique combination of details!

I did start to jot down some information on the Bachmann moulding and what it'd take to make it represent various members of the class - I'll dust it off over Easter and post it up.

Pix

The big annoyance on them is the moulded on windscreen wipers

A set of new etches could start with the wind screen surrounds, I hate those molded on wipers with a passion.

Throw in some laser cut scale "glass" and the cash for at least five sets would leap from my wallet.

Warships are an absolute devil for detail differences which goes way beyond the roof - I'd even go as far as saying the worst of all the D&E classes! Off the top of my head there was variations in the underframes, kick plates, lamp irons, handrails, driver card holders, air intakes and more. There was a really good article in Celebrating Western Power (Vol. 8) which detailed a lot of these. I recall a conversation with a chap some years ago who said that if all the Warships where painted the same colour, it would be possible to ID almost all of them from a unique combination of details!

I did start to jot down some information on the Bachmann moulding and what it'd take to make it represent various members of the class - I'll dust it off over Easter and post it up.

Pix

Thankfully just about everything you can think of (for modelling purposes at any rate) is covered in the recent Irwell Press 'Book Of The Warships', granted, it's not cheap but is a real boon with each loco being covered in detail, especially where the liveries are concerned. Some of the differences between the Swindon built 42s and Glasgow built 43s are quite subtle, while others seem to catch the eye more, once you start looking!

The P4'd maroon beastie I bought from you still gives me a big grin Pix, and working on it some more made me wish I hadn't sold my other Warships beforehand. Definitely a good 'value for money' model in Bachmann guise, despite it's shortcomings.

Nidge wink.gif

• 5 weeks later...

I was hoping that this was coming 'in the next 60 days', however it's now showing as out of stock at Bachmann.

Perhaps these were lost in the volcanic ash storm!

Disappointed!

N

What out of stock might mean is that the total production run has been sold to there outlets (shops). which if that is the case get down to your supplier and order one so as not to be dissapointed.

• RMweb Premium

What out of stock might mean is that the total production run has been sold to there outlets (shops). which if that is the case get down to your supplier and order one so as not to be dissapointed.

You beat me to it johnd! I also thought it meant that the model has now arrived but all of the production is pre-sold. However, the latest Bachmann 47s also showed out of stock when they arrived but before they were in the shops, and they are now shown as available, so I'm not sure. But certainly it's not too late to find one to buy.

You beat me to it johnd! I also thought it meant that the model has now arrived but all of the production is pre-sold. However, the latest Bachmann 47s also showed out of stock when they arrived but before they were in the shops, and they are now shown as available, so I'm not sure. But certainly it's not too late to find one to buy.

As a point of note at the York MRs show over Easter I was told by the man on the Bachmann stand that the forthcoming Class 40 with sound ( D211 Mauritania ) has had the production run sold out, and yet they are still working on re doing the chassis to take lights and sound. Now over 12 months since it was announced. His advice was if you want one pre-order one.

• RMweb Premium

Heads Up ..... 812 "Royal Naval Reserve" is now in stock at Hattons. I secured mine for the princely sum of £31 (plus shipping). Gotta love liveing outside the EC B)

EDIT : The maroon SWP DCC-fitted D809 "Champion" version is also now in stock. Hattons have confirmed my order for both is on its way.

Heads Up ..... 812 "Royal Naval Reserve" is now in stock at Hattons. I secured mine for the princely sum of £31 (plus shipping). Gotta love liveing outside the EC B)

EDIT : The maroon SWP DCC-fitted D809 "Champion" version is also now in stock. Hattons have confirmed my order for both is on its way.

Yay,

Mine is en route from Hattons, and a may make it a brace with one from my local store tomorrow,

N

I still cling to the hope that we shall one day see a state-of-the-art model of a Warship in 4mm scale. The Bachmann one is really only correct for (IIRC) 813-829/831. All others had differences to varying degrees. All of my Bachmann Warships are excellent runners and I have never been unduly bothered about the low height of the first batch.

• RMweb Premium

They are superb runners and for the price I am certainly not complaining about the minor detail differences. Not many Bachmann locos are on the shelves at £45 in 2010 and certainly not main line types. When the VAT was deducted I got mine for a song :) . Well under £45 including shipping! Or about one-sixth the price of a comparable Australian model.

I have an early Bachmann (ex-Mainline) Warship which still turns over very nicely and was until recently still hauling anything I cared to hook onto it. It will again one day but the brown plastic drive sleeves have split with age and I am seeking replacements. I'm hoping to be as pleased with the two new releases as with the five others in my fleet.

• RMweb Gold

I still cling to the hope that we shall one day see a state-of-the-art model of a Warship in 4mm scale. The Bachmann one is really only correct for (IIRC) 813-829/831. All others had differences to varying degrees. All of my Bachmann Warships are excellent runners and I have never been unduly bothered about the low height of the first batch.

I agree with Robert - it would be nice to see an NBL variant at some point. Nidge mentions the huge variation in the class, and the NBLs had scavenger fans that stood proud of the loco in contrast to the Swindon class 42s. I've ordered 812, but was rather shocked to see how quickly they vanished from Hattons - perhaps they have indeed been filled by preorders. The rather large nameplate of course will make renaming difficult without removing all trace of the Royal Naval Reserve originals.

A review of 809 is in Model Rail 143 and I'm intrigued to see that they may have corrected the moulded windscreen wiper issues (or have they?), but have failed to fit NEM couplings which will make fitting the front valances fiddly. It's an evergreen model and fits very well the transition era which is highly popular. I still think the Bachmann models are very good value for money, and will one day get round to chipping my whole fleet. Does anyone have a model yet and can comment?

Neil

• RMweb Premium

i have had a look at the hattons new realeases and they are not on there, have they sold out straight away or something, i was hoping to get one...

The DCC fitted maroon SYP one sold out seemingly within hours but usually with Hattons and Bachmann deliveries a second lot usually appears a week or two later so keep watching the website or make contact with your local retailer.

I do wonder if only a small number have arrived in the UK - I can find little mention of them as being in stock with various online traders and, although I know they're a popular model, I find it hard to believe that Hattons would have sold out of their entire collection quite so quickly. My local Ian Allan have got a blue one in (Or they have until opening time tomorrow!) but no sign of the maroon ones.

I'll process my notes and observations on the variations over the next few weeks for those who fancy some tweaking...

Pix

• RMweb Premium

I've been waiting for a DCC fitted maroon one. I don't pre-order because I end up paying postage for each model I order individually, which adds up when sending to Portugal. So I spoke to Hattons this morning when neither appeared on the website. Apparently both versions were sold out from pre-orders for the stock they received. But they didn't get all of their order and more are expected, as John M Upton surmised. I was still advised to pre-order - some of their allocation was still unsold but perhaps not a lot.

Hopefully they will arrive soon or the wagons I have also ordered may have sold out...

I've been waiting for a DCC fitted maroon one. I don't pre-order because I end up paying postage for each model I order individually, which adds up when sending to Portugal. So I spoke to Hattons this morning when neither appeared on the website. Apparently both versions were sold out from pre-orders for the stock they received. But they didn't get all of their order and more are expected, as John M Upton surmised. I was still advised to pre-order - some of their allocation was still unsold but perhaps not a lot.

Hopefully they will arrive soon or the wagons I have also ordered may have sold out...

Mine arrived this morning, and is very smart. One minor blemish on the roof, but otherwise beautifully finished.

The loco has cab and indicator box lighting, but as mentioned does not have NEM sockets. In fact the chassis frames must be unclipped to gain access to the screw holding the coupling on.

Initial inspection may suggest that the body moulds might be getting a little tired (not surprising really!). The junction between the black roof panel and the curved roof profile is uneven, and whilst by no means unacceptable, this is far more evident than on my older model. Unfortunately the cab glazing appears not to have been revised, with moulded wipers and chrome beading all round.

I am yet to give it a run, when I finish the day job, I will give it a go and post some images.

Neal

Here are a few pics,

It does run very smoothly, and the decoder defaults appear fine.

Cab lighting is F1, with directional lighting F0 and shunt speed F3

Very happy,

N

Tail lights and cab lights (a bit bright, and non-directional)

p.s. My local store had 2 of each in stock today at £52 (Blue) and £61 (Maroon)

post-6761-127178583846_thumb.jpg

post-6761-127178586827_thumb.jpg

post-6761-12717859141_thumb.jpg

post-6761-127178599039_thumb.jpg

post-6761-127178602232_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a fresh batch has just turned up at Hattons:

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?sid=17940

EDIT: The blue one has appeared as well although it is going up to £52 on Friday:

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?sid=17941

Tempted....

Archived