Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Your oldest unmade/unfinished kit.

PhilJ W

• RMweb Gold

Searched my colllection of lifetime pics and I know somewhere up in the attic is this unfinished original 1960`s airfix  tank wagon kit I tried to tart up in 2004.  Did`nt think the solebar was deep enough.............

post-17779-0-26460300-1477818450_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I have a few of the Scalecraft/Peco Road-Railer kits still in their Airfix style plastic bags. I also have a 1/76 scale V2 rocket kit by Grip dating from the 1970's that I have plundered for different bits such as radar dishes. I do wish I hadn't now as one (mint-boxed) went recently on e-bay for over £200.

For kits new at time of purchase I have numerous Parkside Grampus wagons either part built or unopened.

Not quite sure how old they are but they are priced at £2.75 and have lived with me at at least  four addresses. That means they are at least 28 years old.

They are joined by some  Cambrian Mermaids, Dogfish, Catfish and Turbots of around the same vintage.

There are numerous other  kits from the same ranges from the early to mid 90s too. All in various states from virgin to almost complete

There still lurks in the room here at SM42 Towers a part built Airfix F15 I started when I was at school ( I've outlived two of those!)  In fact I think more bits have broken off now than were ever attached.

The oldest kits I have secondhand are buried deep in store so I can't give anymore detail other than they are wood with white metal fittings and are of a GWR van, thing, type, sort of wotsit.

If I come across them I'll let you know.

Andy

For kits new at time of purchase I have numerous Parkside Grampus wagons either part built or unopened.

Not quite sure how old they are but they are priced at £2.75 and have lived with me at at least  four addresses. That means they are at least 28 years old.

They are joined by some  Cambrian Mermaids, Dogfish, Catfish and Turbots of around the same vintage.

There are numerous other  kits from the same ranges from the early to mid 90s too. All in various states from virgin to almost complete

There still lurks in the room here at SM42 Towers a part built Airfix F15 I started when I was at school ( I've outlived two of those!)  In fact I think more bits have broken off now than were ever attached.

The oldest kits I have secondhand are buried deep in store so I can't give anymore detail other than they are wood with white metal fittings and are of a GWR van, thing, type, sort of wotsit.

If I come across them I'll let you know.

Andy

A feeling of deja vu as I had a clear out of kits recently and swapped vintage Parkside for even older Airfix, however Turbots are different matter!

Mark Saunders

Some of the unbuilt kits in my 'to do' pile are older than I am. I have a batch of original Kitmaster models (3 x CoT(+2 more by Airfix), 3 x Stirling Single, 1 ea of BoB & French Mountain and at least 6 green Mark 1 coaches). There are a large number of Airfix Trackside Series kits still in their bags including the No.1 Country Inn with the first pattern header showing all 6 models available at the time of production.

I am currently in the process of packing up all my goods and chattels prior to putting my house on the market and just today I boxed up my various GWR coach kits. I packed at least 15 BSL/Phoenix, 5 PC Models, 3 MAJ Models and 3 K's kits all either unstarted or just some preliminary work commenced. On top of those I have at least a dozen LNWR coach kits by various manufacturers stashed away for a rainy day. I also found a box containing about 30+ Cooper Craft kits which I had forgotten about completely.

I don't really know how many unbuilt white metal loco kits I have in waiting by the likes of GEM, Wills and K's etc. but there must be in the region of about 20 to 30 stacked up in the various cupboards around the house. I keep wondering if I will ever find the time to build even half of the items I have hoarded over the past forty years!

Dave R.   

• RMweb Premium

I still have a couple of vac-form aircraft kits I bought in moments of madness about 30 years ago somewhere, the main reason I kept them is to remind myself of why I should avoid vac-form kits in case I ever feel tempted to buy any more of the things.

The first photo is a partially completed Stephen Poole J15 kit from the mid-1970’s, for which a chassis is no longer available AFAIK.

post-29667-0-90391200-1477863214.jpg

The second photo is a Wills kit from the 1960’s, assembled and painted by my Father, and given to me when I was a teenager, after he had broken the footplate casting forward of the side tanks!  It comes with an original white metal chassis, and a Romford Terrier motor and gears.  Coupling rods were obtained  from SE Finecast, along with suitable wheels about five years ago, but the coupling rods don’t quite line up with the apertures in the chassis, and although this is by only fractions of a millimetre, is was enough to halt progress, and move on to another of my numerous unfinished projects.  A J69 in BR 1950’s guise would sit very well on my layout.

post-29667-0-11415200-1477863454.jpg

Unworthy of inclusion in a photo is a 1970’s Wills N7 0-6-2T.  With my youthful inexperience, it was an absolute disaster - constructed with haste over-ruling my better judgement.   I have a chassis for the loco (more recently obtained) and noticed that the spacing of the drivers is almost exactly the same as for the J15 (0.33mm adrift to be precise) and I have wondered if, with a bit of cropping, and other serious surgery, I could adapt the N7 chassis to fit the J15.  If not, I may get another N7 from SE Finecast.  I am old enough to recall seeing J15’s working out their final days, and this has left me with a fondness for this class, and I could not resist buying a Hornby r-t-r model earlier this year.

I also have several unbuilt or incomplete Ian Kirk kits of Gresley teak panelled coaches obtained probably in the late 1980’s.  And I have a lot of work to do on my layout before I can get serious about playing trains.

John

• RMweb Premium

A number of Airfix wagon kits in the original pattern of box (although they were bought later in shop clearout sales)

I wonder if this thread will prompt any of us to put the unwanted/unfinished/unbuilt/unbuildable stuff on ebay..........?

(and thus earn our medals in the ebay madness thread)

Cheers,

Mick

I wonder if this thread will prompt any of us to put the unwanted/unfinished/unbuilt/unbuildable stuff on ebay..........?

(and thus earn our medals in the ebay madness thread)

Cheers,

Mick

There are a lot of Ratio, Colin Ashby, Cambrian,Parkside Dundas

and Cooper Craft kits on eBay.com

PM me here for arrangements.

Noel

I have managed to be fairly ruthless about this, so my oldest are now a handful of Parkside LGW grain cottage wagons, which I've had about 5 years and will get built one way or another, and a GW Beetle livestock carrier which I may sell as it's technically too early for my scenario.  

My MTK Western languished inoperable, unglazed and unloved for many years before it was realistically broken up (albeit with pliers) and carted off in Triang 16T mineral wagons, about 35 years ago!  

Other kit-builds have gradually been moved along as they were replaced by RTR - not that I was unhappy with the finish, but the running characteristics were not homogeneous with the vast majority of stock they must interwork with. When Heljan announced their Kestrel I hurriedly decorated and glazed my Silver Fox equivalent in fictional Rail Blue with full yellow ends, and off she went on eBay!

blogentry-7083-12555918477865_thumb.jpg

blogentry-7083-12555918751836_thumb.jpg

A couple of Kitmaster Mk1 coach kits, circa 1962 I guess, older than me and bought secondhand at the first toy fair held by Barry Potter in Mkt Harborough in about 1980.

The oldest one I bought "new" is a Craftsman C12, bought in May 1982 from The Model Shop in Lincoln Rd, Peterborough (a big loss when it closed about 15 years ago), complete with Romford wheels, gears and a Bulldog motor. For reasons I can't explain, I've built two since then but that one still languishes complete in the box!

• RMweb Gold

It`s amazing what you find........ after about two years making K`s kits my very first `state of the art` etched kit was this Mallard Models 517 class with a `gearbox` made out of plasticard for a  KTM motor which of course for those days you can see protruding into the cab.

Here she is just about complete in 1977 in the window of our first house, on a first attempt at a `P4 ` point.

post-17779-0-90969300-1477915163_thumb.jpg

She never ran on a layout and was eventually sold on..............

I have a Langley kit of an N gauge Gas Turbine 18000. Despite my best efforts, I could not get the bodyshell to fit the recommended chassis so I gave up in bafflement and put it in the UFO drawer until I could figure out where I was going wrong.

Years have passed and I have still not figured out the problem. I have seen other people build the kit (allegedly) using the same chassis so I cannot think what the problem is.

Anyone who can figure out an answer can reduce the average age of my UFO pile significantly. :jester:

DSCF1970.jpg

Whilst looking for something else, I have just come across a couple of Roy Gould VGA kits that I had completely forgotten buying from a shop now long gone. 

In fact  the building the shop was in was demolished in the early 90s I think . The shop had closed some years before.. 

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Whilst looking for something else, I have just come across a couple of Roy Gould VGA kits that I had completely forgotten buying from a shop now long gone. 

In fact  the building the shop was in was demolished in the early 90s I think . The shop had closed some years before.. 

Andy

Cue to put my two on an online auction site.............

Cheers,

Mick

Archived