Cambrian LSWR Diagram 1410 Van Kit now in Production

autocoach

Good news for a change.

The very long awaited Cambrian LSWR Diagram 1410 Van kit is now listed as available for purchase on the Cambrian website. Kit price 7.20 GBP  each not including wheels.

http://cambrianmodels.co.uk/srimgs/lswrvan.png

Being a resident of North America, I ordered my 3 through Kernow Model Centre. Kernow lists them on their website but indicates not currently in stock.  A layout set in 1947 deep in ex LSWR territory should have a few of these vans in traffic or sitting around. Now I have to find an appropriate SR goods brown. I understand Humbrol "service brown" is available in the US from Hornby North America's Humbrol site. 

In an update to the Cambrian website, the LSWR Diagram 1543 "New" brake van kit is now "promised" for 2017. These brakes were seen on the Wenford branch clay trains prior to the Western Region takeover.

The pre-grouping folks should love these additions too. 

Now watch and some RTR manufacturer will bring the 1410 van out as well as it exists in preservation and was also used on the LMR. 

• RMweb Premium

Looking on the main page if their website I am concerned about the announcement of their planned retirement at the end of next year. I see that they plan to sell on the firm as a going concern but we have seen that happen before often with disastrous results.

• RMweb Gold

Good news that this kit is now out. They have been planning this for a long time so it must feel good to have a result before selling on the business.

Can anyone say whether the image linked to by "autocoach"' shows one-sided Morton brakes, or one-sided single lever brakes?

Edited to clarify

• RMweb Gold

Good news that this kit is now out. They have been planning this for a long time so it must feel good to have a result before selling on the business.

Can anyone say whether the image linked to by "autocoach"' shows one-sided Morton brakes, or one-sided single lever brakes?

Edited to clarify

It shows LSWR pattern lift-link brakes, viewed from the side with the link. The other side has a plain lever.

The link arrangement performs the same function as a Morton clutch in reversing the rotation created by moving the lever on the side it is fitted. 

BR used the same arrangement on their 21-ton mineral wagons but fitted brake shoes to both sides whereas the LSWR only used one pair.

John

• RMweb Gold

I see they were built between 1899 and 1912, with wood and steel underframes, and the kit has a steel underframe. Were they steel in ones built up to 1905?

My reading of the relevant passage/table in Southern Wagons Vol.1 is that the steel underframes were first fitted to Dia.1410 vans in 1899 but construction of wooden ones continued alongside the newer type. So, for a layout set in 1905, there's no reason to exclude the steel-underframed version of this van.  

However, the steel frames appear to have been adopted in conjunction with Panter's Patent cross-lever brake gear, though the book only states that "some built between 1899 and 1904" had it and the lift-link type illustrated was presumably the alternative. The Panter brake gear was replaced by the independent either-side type between 1918 and 1939 (the usual SR term for the latter being "Freighter" brake gear).

It would appear that the lift-link gear was definitely used post-1904, so you are still OK for 1905, but possibly the van would be of very recent construction. The $64,000 question is whether the two types were fitted concurrently or consecutively. "Some built between 1899 and 1904" implies concurrently, so you should be even more OK.

I presume Cambrian have chosen this variant because [a] they can use the existing one-piece underframe tooling from their Dia.1316 open wagon and the steel-underframed ones possibly survived longer, making them more suitable for those who model later periods. If the kit sells well enough, maybe they'll see fit to do the other chassis later. 

John

• RMweb Gold

david Geen does a very nice whitemetal kit for the earlier wooden framed version. 

Indeed. Below is my build (with some mods). Note the position of the pull-rods. When I built this kit, I opted for a version with one-sided brakes and a single lever. The photos I could find of such types showed the pullrods right-over-left, but the instructions for the David Geen kit showed the exact opposite. I relied on the photos, and have later been informed that this was correct. I hope it is :-)

post-738-0-59698300-1477915923_thumb.jpg

post-738-0-02386200-1477915932_thumb.jpg

Received my email from Barry last week in regards to the LSWR Van kit and I promptly ordered 20 kits, 10 for me and the other 10 for a friend. Should the RTR companies look at doing a RTR version of the LSWR Van, then I hope they will do the D1406 design which is what LSWR Van 8112 on the Bluebell Railway is.

20 Cambrian D1410 LSWR Goods Van kits have arrived with me today. Should anyone want any pics of the kit, please drop a reply and I will take some snaps of it. Me thinks I can certainly see some conversions to other LSWR Vans coming out of this...!!

Yes of course we want pictures. What kind of silly question is that?

That looks a lovely kit and, if I may say so, it's nice to know that someone is rewarding the makers by buying in bulk.

Thank you Poggy. As I said in post #12, I was purchasing 10 for myself and the other 10 for my friend who does my wagon refurbishment work for me. I also know another Southern modeller who will be purchasing just as many which I can imagine will be music to Cambrian's ears...!!

We've both been looking forward to seeing the D1410 kit making it's debut for quite sometime now and once I received the email I made sure I didn't dilly-dally...!! Another reason for me ordering 10, is because of the opportunities of converting the kit to represent other LSWR diagrams. I can already see the D1401, 1402, 1413 and 1484 Vans being represented by Cambrian's kit... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a trio now being shipped courtesy of Kernow Model Centre. I just ordered from Humbrol USA containers of acrylic Service Brown (I don't do enamel or acetone based paints if I can avoid them due to vapor reactions even with a mask.)  Will have to find small "SR" lettering for post 1935 repaints as I have used all the small lettering from my last HMRS SR Goods set.  

Now should they have split axle or solid axle wheels in 1947?

This and the Hornby cattle wagons have made me a happy goods camper for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

The Cambrian model has 10 planks on each side. The Terry Gough drawings and pictures in A Pictorial Guide to Southern Wagons and Vans and pictures of current restored vans have only 8 planks on a side.

Were two different versions built? 

• RMweb Gold

The Cambrian model has 10 planks on each side. The Terry Gough drawings and pictures in A Pictorial Guide to Southern Wagons and Vans and pictures of current restored vans have only 8 planks on a side.

I think the number of planks varied according to what size timber was available in the quantities needed at the time each batch was being constructed. 

I have seen photos of these vans with 8 and 10 and even a couple where the sides and doors didn't have the same number.

John

The LSWR built at least four variants of the LSWR Van. Initially they built D1410 and D1412. D1410 were constructed for the LSWR whilst D1412 were built for the S&DJR initially without end vents.

In 1912, they introduced D1406 and D1407 which were taller than their older sisters by at least 7 inches. Of these vans, four were built on timber underframes (D1407) and the others on steel underframes (D1406).

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard back from Barry at Cambrian Models. I asked his permission to quote his reply as follows.

Sorry about the delay in replying. I have been altering the drawings, and Christmas got in the way.

The drawing on the label and in the instructions was altered from the one in the Southern Wagons’ LSWR volume, which was the wide planked type. I had done this with the wrong number of planks, so that it was different to the model, and the photo used to make the model. I have amended the drawing, and the SR version with lettering is attached. Nobody else has noticed the error!

The number of the van used for the model was SR number 42416, ex-LSWR no. 1429, built 1900, photographed 1935 *. Vans with a lesser number of wide planks were more common, but a lot of these seem to have had it replaced with narrower ones, but not always all of the panels. Some of the variants, such as meat vans also had narrow planks.
* This van became Departmental van 278S in 1945.

There is a surviving narrow planked van, but unfortunately was sold to the Army and renumbered, so the SR number is not known.

Regards,

Barry,
Cambrian

I must apologize for any confusion my earlier misunderstanding may have caused. Looks like I will have to build my own wide plank version. Will give some variety to my collection. Unfortunately it appears that van 42416 may no longer have existed  as a revenue van in my 1947 setting. I will have to foobie up a number 42417?

post-6958-0-47384000-1483732246_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first of these I have built and represents the tool/riding van used by the Chipman company in their weedkilling train from the early 1930s until around 1955. The colour is a bit garish but will tone down with weathering.

chipman_van_1_zpsovlhezyc.jpg

chipman_van_2_zpsqk3zwnpx.jpg

It isn't quite accurate - the solebar should be wooden and I suspect the planks were wider, but I didn't fancy hacking into one of David Geen's kits.  The ends seem to have been plated over; I'm guessing this was one of the meat/butter variants with the column of ventilators up the end and so they were blocked up.  I cut strips of paper and laid them over the planks with PVA, so they didn't sink into the grooves.  The information to build it came from Southern Wagons Pictorial Volume 5.  I still need to makeup the lettering before it van be glazed and finished.

Archived