Paint Stripping a BR Mk1 Coach

Guest 40-something

I have a BR Mk1 coach which has thick coats of maroon paint, what would you recommend to strip this off? I am not sure what type of paint it is, Enamel, Cellulose, Acrylic etc

Would you recommend Precision Paints Maroon for repainting, or is there another option

There are a number of products for stripping paint, Precisions' Superstrip generally being regarded as the best as it will also remove the factory finish.  There is also Model Strip which will remove the thick coats of paint but not the factory finish - though this will not be left pristine by any means.  Brake fluid is yet another option athough one I've not had much success with.

A lot of people will baulk at this but I use original Dettol, been using this for 20-odd years and havent had any breakdown of plastics (some people report this can happen).  

Which ever method you use be sure to thoroughly clean the shell afterwards and leave to air dry.

For Maroon I would prime the shell with Halfords Red Oxide primer, then apply the top coats.  This will give a nice deep finish.  Railmatch and Precision both do Maroon, personally I've used Rover Damask Red spray paint (Halfords again) to represent Maroon.

Please post photo's of your progress!!

• RMweb Gold

I discovered by accident that isopropyl alcohol takes Bachmann paint off.  I'm afraid there was bad language ...

Chris

Yes it goes very peculiar, doesn't it - I was only supposed to blow the ruddy numbers off................(apologies to The Italian Job)

John

I've used acetone free nail varnish remover from the likes of poundland, Wilkinsons etc..it's cheap , always try a small area first though, just dampen a cloth with some on and rub , have I the past dunked a wagon in a tub full of the stuff but seems to be a bit aggressive , so bit at a time should do the trick,if it fails your other half will be grateful for the leftover's

There are a number of products for stripping paint, Precisions' Superstrip generally being regarded as the best as it will also remove the factory finish.  There is also Model Strip which will remove the thick coats of paint but not the factory finish - though this will not be left pristine by any means.  Brake fluid is yet another option athough one I've not had much success with.

A lot of people will baulk at this but I use original Dettol, been using this for 20-odd years and havent had any breakdown of plastics (some people report this can happen).  

Which ever method you use be sure to thoroughly clean the shell afterwards and leave to air dry.

For Maroon I would prime the shell with Halfords Red Oxide primer, then apply the top coats.  This will give a nice deep finish.  Railmatch and Precision both do Maroon, personally I've used Rover Damask Red spray paint (Halfords again) to represent Maroon.

Please post photo's of your progress!!

I've also tried brake fluid and it did work OK, but I had to re-apply a few times on thick paint.  

For some reason people seem to paint Mk 1s in strange colours, usually applied with a dusty trowel!!  I've picked up quite a few like this really cheaply over the years.  I've always used Model Strip on them and it works really well, even where the paint is quite thick.  Repainted and re-lined they come up remarkably well.

Interesting what someone said about Mr Muscle.  I've used this (very carefully) on a couple of very old rifles.  They were packed in grease which, over a period of about 150 years, had died to a solid crust.  Nothing else I tried shifted it, including some fairly aggressive solvent.  Only left it on for a few minutes, but it did the trick without damaging the woodwork.  Clearly Mr Muscle has many uses which they don't advertise!

Thanks for all your help, I should have pointed out the model in question is a Comet Kit. mostly brass, with some white metal

If it's brass then use cheap nail varnish remover tip a bottle of the stuff into an old ice tub , dunk it in, the paint will probably come off in no time!

Fairy Powerspray also works on some paints - not used it on a railway item yet, but have stripped plenty of slot car bodies with prior to repainting.  Like with the Mr Muscle, spray it on, stuff it into a bag and leave for a few hours - don't let it dry out.

For the brass coaches, you could try Nitromors  -  the formula has been changed in recent years and it is much less aggressive (some say less effective) than it used to be - it even comes with a plastic tub to pour it into !

As for IPA, I have only ever used that to remove the Tampo printed logos and running numbers from body coloured ( unpainted) plastic shells - works well for that.

Regards,

Andi

Archived