0 Gauge micro layout and wagon building

Georgeham

Hi Michael,

yes - it was a gloss surface - I think it was because I only used microset instead of water - but never mind!  It is now more of a challenge to weather it away.  My transfers are often a bit hit and miss!

More weathering to go now.

Edited by Georgeham

• 3 months later...

So I finally finished off the SPV - it had a lot of weathering to blend in the poor background to the transfers.  It has not photographed so well, but here it is finished off. At least it works and can be used on the layout (which is still not built!!). Any thoughts/comments welcome!

IMG_7155.JPG

IMG_7156.JPG

• Like 7

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/04/2020 at 13:22, Baggies1961 said:

Hi,

I have just built a Grampus and love the colour you achieved, what actual colour did you use?

Think yours is superb by the way.

Regards

Julian.

Hi Julian,

The Grampus was painted with Railmatch enamels via an airbrush (Iwata 0.5mm nozzle) and I used a combination of waethered black, light rust, sleeper grime and frame dirt.  The light rust went on after the weathered black, but I did those steps twice.  The picture of it does not really do the contrast justice, but it looks ok when it is sat on the rails.

It would be great to see your wagon when you have finished it!

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Well I said this was a slow burner project, however I did not quite mean the glacial progress achieved over the last year or two!!  However, I have recently picked up the 0 gauge modelling again and have made a little progress on his 13t open wagon kit.  I hope to get the build finished on this in the next week.  I also have a little 4ft board, which I am thinking will form the basis of an 0 gauge micro (or at least a test run in this scale!)  Anyhow, a little progress, hopefully more to follow soon!

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-24 at 19.20.27 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-24 at 19.20.27.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

I hope everyone is keeping safe and well.  I have made a little more progress on a few wagons recently - my old man has also recently got into 0 gauge and I got him a few kits to build.  When he had finished his first one, I offered to paint it for him.  There is a little more detailing to go here, but it is coming together now.  I made a real effort to get a more realistic wood finish on this one, whilst not perfect, I am pretty pleased with the overall effect. Next jobs some varnishing and transfers.

20210402_152012.jpg

20210402_152036.jpg

20210402_152200.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...
On 04/04/2021 at 20:37, Baggies1961 said:

Hi,

Good to see you back with some lovely wagon builds, which make is this one?

Cheers

Julian.

Hi Julian,

This is the Connoisseur Models LNER skill builder kit.  My dad built it - not a bad first effort.  I think that I am going to give something similar a try too in the not too distant future.

Hope all is well with you

Chris

Edited by Georgeham
  • Thanks 1

So after several years of procrastination I have finally made a start on the 0 gauge layout.  Yesterday I spent a very pleasurable day in the garden sunshine, with a beer in hand, to build the first baseboards.  I had two Tim Horn scenic boards (top quality) - each is 4ft by 18 inches.  I managed to get both of these finished yesterday giving me a running length of 8ft at the moment.  However, I hope to add another Tim Horn curved board, to give me a total run of around 12ft.  The layout is going to be set in the 1970s in North Devon, so ordering a Hymek and a Warship in 0 gauge seems necessary (and a tad expensive!!!!). The layout is going to have a rail served dairy and a very small platform (I have a track plan in mind and loosely measured out) - although I need to really get the boards assembled to see just how this will look. However, I definitely feel ready to take the plunge and make a start.

Anyhow - here is the first of the scenic boards ready to think about track laying....

20210606_164228.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
On 26/01/2021 at 18:19, Georgeham said:

Well I said this was a slow burner project, however I did not quite mean the glacial progress achieved over the last year or two!!  However, I have recently picked up the 0 gauge modelling again and have made a little progress on his 13t open wagon kit.  I hope to get the build finished on this in the next week.  I also have a little 4ft board, which I am thinking will form the basis of an 0 gauge micro (or at least a test run in this scale!)  Anyhow, a little progress, hopefully more to follow soon!

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-24 at 19.20.27 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-24 at 19.20.27.jpeg

Hi, hopefully not too late but you've got the Morton clutch on the direct side there. Think about the way the lever would turn the crank - anti clockwise in this case which would move the brakes further away not onto the wheels. The plain one should be this side.

CRT kits do some BR built and later designs of GWR milk tanks which may come in handy! Mimes still in the stash.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Hi, hopefully not too late but you've got the Morton clutch on the direct side there. Think about the way the lever would turn the crank - anti clockwise in this case which would move the brakes further away not onto the wheels. The plain one should be this side.

CRT kits do some BR built and later designs of GWR milk tanks which may come in handy! Mimes still in the stash.

Hi Hal - that is a great spot and checking some pictures I see exactly what you are saying.  Thank you - the model has just been primed - but a job for next weekend to try to rectify this now!!! It is all learning - not sure how I got that one wrong!

• Like 1

On 06/06/2021 at 17:34, Georgeham said:

Hi Julian,

This is the Connoisseur Models LNER skill builder kit.  My dad built it - not a bad first effort.  I think that I am going to give something similar a try too in the not too distant future.

Hope all is well with you

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that all good with me except a really uncomfortable and painful case of golfers elbow in my right arm.

Good to see you back.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Hi, just wondering that if this is the diagram with Morton clutch, should it have a tie-bar as well? 

I know the Slaters instructions do not show this, but the picture on the box shows it built with tie-bars across W-irons I think?

My wagon knowledge is limited, but looking at Paul Bartlett photos seems to show with either clasp brakes and no tie-bar or Morton and tie-bar. The only other system seems to be RCH brakes without tie-bar, but is this what Slaters have provided parts for?

If this observation is right, i hope you are still able to make the necessary changes?

Robin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Robin Gristwood said:

Hi, just wondering that if this is the diagram with Morton clutch, should it have a tie-bar as well? 

I know the Slaters instructions do not show this, but the picture on the box shows it built with tie-bars across W-irons I think?

My wagon knowledge is limited, but looking at Paul Bartlett photos seems to show with either clasp brakes and no tie-bar or Morton and tie-bar. The only other system seems to be RCH brakes without tie-bar, but is this what Slaters have provided parts for?

If this observation is right, i hope you are still able to make the necessary changes?

Robin

Most of the BR 10ft types with the clutch had tie bars. I find them a pain to model as well: The strongest way is to use brass or similar strip mounted across the front and recreate the two bolts on each side but I tend to just use plastic strip and accept I'll keep breaking them!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/06/2021 at 19:15, Robin Gristwood said:

Robin

Hi Robin,

yes you are quite right - and I now need to add those too!! Luckily I had not started painting it in earnest - so I should be able to add these.  I have just been building a slaters 12T van - which had got me thinking about the tie bars as well.  You are right that the instructions not really showing it - but photographs clearly do.  Another job for the weekend!

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Like you I'm dipping my toe into O gauge and I'm also at the planning stage with a similar size layout in mind (and I'm in North Devon too!).

I've looked at Tim Horn for baseboards but his website seems to be constantly under development - he seems to be a victim of his own success. Can I ask if you ordered these baseboard modules recently? If so did you contact him via email to order?

Looking forward to seeing your layout develop - I am going for a slighly earlier period with a green 08 and class 25 - I also hope to get my hands on a Dapol 121 one day! I've only bought RTR wagons at the moment but hope to make some too.

all the best,

James

22 hours ago, jamest said:

Hi,

Like you I'm dipping my toe into O gauge and I'm also at the planning stage with a similar size layout in mind (and I'm in North Devon too!).

I've looked at Tim Horn for baseboards but his website seems to be constantly under development - he seems to be a victim of his own success. Can I ask if you ordered these baseboard modules recently? If so did you contact him via email to order?

Looking forward to seeing your layout develop - I am going for a slighly earlier period with a green 08 and class 25 - I also hope to get my hands on a Dapol 121 one day! I've only bought RTR wagons at the moment but hope to make some too.

all the best,

James

Hi James,

a fellow north Devoner too (although I am currently away from the homeland!!).  As for the Tom Horn baseboards - the ones I have just constructed I ordered a good few years ago and they have just sat around waiting for this project.  However, Tim does have a facebook page and you can drop him a message.  I do not know Tim (just a very satisfied customer) - but I have always found him to be super helpful.

I just had a look at your layouts - there is some fantastic modelling there!  In particular I loved Bratton Lane - if my 0 gauge efforts are half as good as that I will be very pleased.

It would be great to see your progress on your 0 gauge layout.

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

A great start and look forward to seeing this develope. I have also built a 13t wagon and to confirm the diagram in slaters instructions are wrong which is why you got the clutch on the wrong side, luckily I build mine with loads of Paul Bartlett photos in front of me and spotted it before I fitted the levers etc....

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Over the last week I managed to sort out the misbuilding of the 13t wagon - thanks to everyone for the pointers!!  It did not take too long in the end (I hope!!)....  I have also started to make a little progress on the layout - although I am waiting on the delivery of some points until I start this in earnest - getting a feel for the space, what will fit, etc.  However, I have added a raised level for the track on some of the baseboards and have also made a start on constructing the platform and a few buildings, although there is a long way to go with these buildings

So pictures of progress so far:

20210619_183610.jpg

20210619_160626.jpg

20210620_142104.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

The last few weeks have seen some good progress on the 0 gauge layout.  I am about to start track laying - although I need to play with the track plan a little to make sure it will all fit in.  I have added a curved board the end of the layout, giving me a total operating distance of 12ft.  However, it is now sweltering in the loft room, making it too hot for track laying, so this will have to wait until later in the week.  I have also made a start on the first building for the layout.  The 0 gauge bug has well and truly hit....

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-19 at 08.11.50 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-19 at 08.11.50 (3).jpeg

• Like 9

So this week I have been working on the platforms I need for the layout. There are two platforms overall, one for the diary/warehouse and the second is a small passenger halt.  The small passenger halt is built from SR concrete, typical of the withered arm.  I have finished the build, save for the filing down of a few lumps and bumps of filler.  Overall, I am reasonably happy with the platform, although working in 0 gauge - it is massive and it will not quite manage to squeeze in a two coach train!

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-25 at 20.14.04 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-25 at 20.14.04 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-25 at 20.14.05.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1