MRJ 251

NHY 581

Ooh, that's a tricky one.

I can't say I have one notably favourite issue, but looking back through some of the "twenties" recently looking for a particular article I would say that those earlier MRJs edited by Bob Barlow nearly always held something inspirational for me

It is important to reflect that I was further back down the learning curve in those days (there are those that think I haven't yet made much progress), The development of "finescale" modelling for the masses (for want of a better phrase) was also in its relatively early days. So the "how to" articles nearly always held something of interest.

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile back at the front...

MRJ 251 has been delivered from the printers.

I will have stocks for sale on the Wild Swan stand at the Warley show this weekend.

Trade supplies and subscribers copies are no doubt on their way to their destinations as I type.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

185 Pempoul.

215 Croft Depot

209 Martin Finney's Semley

157 Combwich/John Hayes Wallingford

50 Ditchling Green

95 Midsomer Norton & Welton

58 North Shields

184 Stunning Black Five

160 Bloody good issue

106 Monks Eleigh

197 KINGSTORRE !!!!!

145 Saffron St.

213 Another bloody good issue !!!!!!

133 Standard Class 4

136 7mm Drummond M7s

112 Debenham

..........and any issue with an article by John Hayes.

Rob.

Meanwhile back at the front...

MRJ 251 has been delivered from the printers.

I will have stocks for sale on the Wild Swan stand at the Warley show this weekend.

Trade supplies and subscribers copies are no doubt on their way to their destinations as I type.

Simon

Thank you, Simon.  I am on my way to a parallel universe where the magazine will be discussed sensibly.  I may be some time ...

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Oooo! favourites, can't really remember all the numbers but the early ones with Chris Crofts wagons series (four of them?). No 32, the first one I bought even if it has a GWR loco on the cover, but the best must be the one that was dedicated almost entirely to Bramblewick.

Apologies Andy.  I typed too quickly. I keep hoping they might find their way into the 21st Century.

Dragging people kicking and screaming into the Century of the Fruitbat is always a difficult manoeuver!

However, I await with interest the reports from subscribers and Warley attendees.  Otherwise, I'll hang around my local independent newsagents next week.  Model railway mags are top-shelf fare there.  Luckily they're not adjacent to publications that have to be purveyed in obscured bags.

Fingers crossed!

• RMweb Gold

My shop copies arrived today.

Here's my mini review and I think it's a good 'un.

Edited by Karl Crowther, who provides a suitably thoughtful Festive editorial, this issue Majors on Peter Johnson's quite sublime "Canada Street" - one of the most believable model railways to have ever been created. The photography really shows Peter's creation off to great effect and the good news is that it will be going on to the exhibition circuit, I can't wait to see it in the flesh. Other articles include Peter Kazer on Great Western narrow gauge points, Peter Tatlow on baseboards that get away from the "flat earth society" approach, Tom Mallard builds an ultimate K3 and Philip Hall breathes on the exquisite LSWR carriages from Hornby. And there are a decent number of letters too.

I don't think there are any letters from Mrs Trellis, but there is one from a bloke in Bath with a mad idea for a one off mostly French themed exhibition in 2018…...

• RMweb Gold

We were opposite Canada Street at the excellent Portsmouth show at the weekend and it really is sublime. The warehouses, I believe based on Gloucester, are beautifully done and the early 70s grot and decay ticks lots of boxes for me. I look forward to picking up a copy of 251 from the mad bloke from Bath at Warley !

Regarding the favourite issue debate, I too loved the Iliffe Stokes issue, also the wonderful Chris Pendleton Christmas edition but probably my favourite is 152 when Dave Bradwell argued very convincingly that the best way to plan a layout is to just get on and start building it. Bath's progress to date owes a lot to this oft read article.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Edited by Karl Crowther, who provides a suitably thoughtful Festive editorial, this issue Majors on Peter Johnson's quite sublime "Canada Street" - one of the most believable model railways to have ever been created. The photography really shows Peter's creation off to great effect and the good news is that it will be going on to the exhibition circuit, I can't wait to see it in the flesh. Other articles include Peter Kazer on Great Western narrow gauge points, Peter Tatlow on baseboards that get away from the "flat earth society" approach, Tom Mallard builds an ultimate K3 and Philip Hall breathes on the exquisite LSWR carriages from Hornby. And there are a decent number of letters too.[/size]

I don't think there are any letters from Mrs Trellis, but there is one from a bloke in Bath with a mad idea for a one off mostly French themed exhibition in 2018…...

Sounds like a good 'un.

Regarding the exhibition, will the cuisine reflect the theme?

Toulouse sausage cassoulet...mmmmmmm........

Rob

Edited by Karl Crowther, who provides a suitably thoughtful Festive editorial, this issue Majors on Peter Johnson's quite sublime "Canada Street" - one of the most believable model railways to have ever been created. The photography really shows Peter's creation off to great effect and the good news is that it will be going on to the exhibition circuit, I can't wait to see it in the flesh. Other articles include Peter Kazer on Great Western narrow gauge points, Peter Tatlow on baseboards that get away from the "flat earth society" approach, Tom Mallard builds an ultimate K3 and Philip Hall breathes on the exquisite LSWR carriages from Hornby. And there are a decent number of letters too.

Oh dear, still no sign of the second half of my article on the Brit!

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the exhibition, will the cuisine reflect the theme?

Toulouse sausage cassoulet...mmmmmmm........

Ham or cheese, on brown or white?  :P

I don't recall Karl having edited one before, so that should be interesting.

I'm looking forward to mine arriving next week!

Well my go to issues are:

65 first issue I purchased and the Guy Williams black 5

Then the next 2 as they were the release of of the Finney A3 builds... next was 72 for the Bradwell P3 which I read so many times it has faded!

The interesti thing about the Finney A3 I thought I could never afford the kit... now I have 3 Finney kits to do. Now the Bradwell kit I built the first time in 1998 in PNG! I think is still hold the most unusual location to buy a kit with Mr Bradwell! I have another that i am slowly building!

Others are less memorable but I now have the full set and do read them at random..., you know pull one off the shelf and a reread!

My favorite edition is  whichever one i am reading   being a single bloke ( the loo seat  stays up  at my convenience)  i usually have a selection of MRJ  and backtrack mages  sat on the cistern ( nooooooo not in lieu of  loo paper  but )  as reading materials

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile on the its not in my WH Smiths front. Enter the store of your choice.

My copy arrived at the village store on the island of Burray in Orkney yesterday. Great issue but I have followed Canada Street on the EM Gauge website from the start so I knew what to expect.

Great photos and description too. Nice editorial from Karl, as always a great read.

Terry

Archived