FTG Models - CO2 TTA Tanker

Hugh Flynn

Hi Hugh,

Totally agree with Mark on this.

We need the UIC suspension ones to enable the modellable timeline to be pushed back a bit!

If I remember correctly - you should have drawings for that one as well?

Thanks

Hi

I will look into the wagon to see if I can do anything , At the moment I need to sell more NR wagons to pay for the wagon unit cost I have the tooling cost but I do have a couple of things on my mind?

Hugh

Hi

A couple of photos with decals,

We still have a few things to sort on coupling but again if you see anything speak up.

My cad designer is having an operation on the 15/11/16 and will be out of action for a while? 

Hugh

Hugh,

Is there a problem with the perspective in the CAD images? The bits that are further away are larger, which is the opposite of what Father Ted taught.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Are these the wagons that had vacuum through pipes fitted we used to pick up three or four of these from co2 coleshill siding on T43 trip from Nuneaton to Bescot afternoon trip in the early 80's.I will post a picture got to pick it out when I have time.Its black & white & the co2 wagons are behind the mermaids unfortunately.

Hugh,

Is there a problem with the perspective in the CAD images? The bits that are further away are larger, which is the opposite of what Father Ted taught.

It's a point of view in most if not all CAD softwares known as "parallel perspective".

@Hugh Flynn

The CO2 looks great, apart from the already known coupling.

Cheers!

Are these the wagons that had vacuum through pipes fitted we used to pick up three or four of these from co2 coleshill siding on T43 trip from Nuneaton to Bescot afternoon trip in the early 80's.I will post a picture got to pick it out when I have time.Its black & white & the co2 wagons are behind the mermaids unfortunately.

Yes - some were VP'd hence the TTB TOPS coding. Paul B's excellent photos illustrate many examples

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/stscarbondioxidetta/hfbef56d#hfbef56d

• RMweb Gold

As a serious question, what sort of thoughts have you had about the earlier chassis, do you want a show of hands, are you doing it anyway, or is it too much bother for the end result if sales are not forthcoming?

Mike.

Hi Mike,

One of the problems about doing the early chassis with UIC suspension is finding info and photos showing them.

To date I have only found 3 photos of them with the 'as built' suspension and one is so dark it's not worth bothering trying to enhance it.

Hugh has copies of those I found and a copy of the drawing showing the original suspension.

Then it's down to numbers that people will not just order, but buy.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

One of the problems about doing the early chassis with UIC suspension is finding info and photos showing them.

To date I have only found 3 photos of them with the 'as built' suspension and one is so dark it's not worth bothering trying to enhance it.

Hugh has copies of those I found and a copy of the drawing showing the original suspension.

Then it's down to numbers that people will not just order, but buy.

Thanks

Or wait until Kernow do them at twice the price?

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Or wait until Kernow do them at twice the price?

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Sorry - but that's a grossly unfair suggestion.

What if Hugh had not done the deal with Kernow on the SPA's?

If he had another batch done himself, a couple of things would likely have resulted.

1 - the price would been likely to be about the same as Kernow are doing them at.

2 - the CO2 Tanks would have been, at best - severly delayed, at worst - not produced.

Then - your suggestion implies that Hugh would hold back on producing the early suspension types himself thus leaving them to guilde Kernow?

That is, of course - IF they agreed with Hugh and bought the rights to produce future runs of the tanks at some point in the future.

Thanks

Edited by Scottish Modeller

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Sorry - but that's a grossly unfair suggestion.

What if Hugh had not done the deal with Kernow on the SPA's?

If he had dhad another batch done himself a couple of things would likely have resulted.

1 - the price would been likely to be about the same as Kernow are doing them at.

2 - the CO2 Tanks would have been, at best - severly delayed, at worst - not produced.

Then - your suggestion implies that Hugh would hold back on producing the early suspension types himself thus leaving them to guilde Kernow?

That is, of course - IF they agreed with Hugh and bought the rights to produce future runs of the tanks at some point in the future.

Thanks

You're obviously reading far more into my comment than was ever there, don't put words into my mouth, keep your opinions to yourself.

All I made was an observation which could or could not pan out in future, I have nothing but admiration for Hugh having the b*ll*cks to start manufacturing rolling stock.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

In reference to the, as built by Fauvet-Girel, UIC suspension wagons.

In all the research that I have done over the years into these wagons I have failed to find one drawing that would be a great help to Hugh.

That is the one which is recorded by the company archive as:

Fauvet-Girel - Diagram - 100587 - CO2 Tanks - UK

I managed to get a copy of the next drawing in their archive,

Fauvet-Girel - Diagram - 100588 - CO2 Tanks - UK - Wagon Nos 2026 to 2035 and have let Hugh have a virtual copy.

This diagram wagons were then rebuilt twice (I think) as I have revised BR Diagrams for them as TT055A - this is annotated as ex PO Diag 6/211.

Does anyone have the drawing that is needed?

Thanks

Some of the CO2 tanks had vacuum pipes as well air brakes and were coded TTB, Coleshill recieved CO2 from ICI plants at Haverton Hill, and occasionally Severnside. 

Other traffic flows of CO2 in the Speedlink era were:-

Cameron Bridge to Newton-le-Willows and Willesden 

Mossend to Newton-le-WIllows and Bow 

Haverton Hill to Bow and Willesden.

CO2 traffic was still passing from Haverton Hill to Coleshill in the Enterprise era well into the 1990s

cheers

• RMweb Gold

Some of the CO2 tanks had vacuum pipes as well air brakes and were coded TTB, Coleshill recieved CO2 from ICI plants at Haverton Hill, and occasionally Severnside. 

CO2 traffic was still passing from Haverton Hill to Coleshill in the Enterprise era well into the 1990s

cheers

Hi David,

As per the response from Rivercider....

Links for you to follow:-

Paul Bartlett - http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/stscarbondioxidetta

Hew Millington - https://www.flickr.com/photos/hmillington/albums/72157603195747980

Both collections show Co2 Tanks as TTA and TTB - date depends on when Air Braking was done.

As per one of my earlier posts, this seems to vary between 1981 and 1985, without a known pattern but may have been when the wagons needed overhaul or to be retanked.

Thanks

Edited by Scottish Modeller

cheers

The "death knell" for the rail transport of liquid CO2 in the UK WAS the rail crash in March 1996 when tankers derailed in the path of a mail train causing one fatality.

Transporting CO2 by rail from Scottish distilleries was barely viable at the time and ceased shortly afterwards

Edited by lambiedg