West Riding Lines - Dewsbury Midland 00

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Hi there, it all sounds very interesting.   I've opened the scan but all it is, is 2 blue lines on the paper.   If you can send me the scan on a PM I'll try to convert it to a jpg and post it.

Jamie

That sounds like I  put it wrong way up on the scanner! Will check and have another go.

Scan0121.pdf

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some progress on the model , but in an unexpected way.

Was at Buffer's in Axminster on Tuesday (on my way back from a business appointment). They seem to be contracting a bit with far less new r-t-r stock available. But it's still a great shop for other bits and pieces and I picked up several items which will go on this layout as well as some for future projects.

One of the features of Dewsbury is that the Midland crosses over two other routes - the four-track Mirfield - Wakefield (ex-L&Y) and the two-track Manchester - Leeds (ex-LNW). It has always been my intention to include these and put some static trains on them.

Buffers provided me with a very cheap Farish 40 body. Wrong colour but not difficult to repaint. And happy to find this morning that Peter's Spares have Class 40 sideframes in stock.

And then I saw that they also have Class 25 bodies and sideframes.

So that will be two static locos to place on those lines for about £20 in total. A good result.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 03/09/2019 at 13:47, Joseph_Pestell said:

That sounds like I  put it wrong way up on the scanner! Will check and have another go.

Scan0121.pdf 173.1 kB · 18 downloads

I've had chance to have a look at the plan.  It looms OK to me. I can't quite make out the exit from the exchange sidings.  The standard Midland way was a double slip in that position, interlocked with the entrance poi t from the main line.  If you need it I've got the plan for the proposed bridge over the LNWR line if you need it.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I've had chance to have a look at the plan.  It looms OK to me. I can't quite make out the exit from the exchange sidings.  The standard Midland way was a double slip in that position, interlocked with the entrance poi t from the main line.  If you need it I've got the plan for the proposed bridge over the LNWR line if you need it.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Ref the exit from the exchange sidings, I have considered a double slip there. As you say, probably more typical for the Midland. May well happen depending on the relative cost of the fiNetrax and getting it built. No way that I am going to make slips in N!

Yes, please. I did not know that they had got to the planning in quite that much detail. But nice to build the bridge as intended. It's quite an interesting location to build such a structure as the LNW is itself on an embankment at that point.

Joseph

PS: Looking forward to more chocolate cake and a longer look at Green Ayre. Expecting to make a business trip to SW France over the next couple of weeks to collect some wine. Found a rather nice Charente wine over lunch just after we saw you.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am still dithering. 

The sensible thing to do is to build it in N. But I really would prefer TT (14.2mm) or 00/EM. I have even snapped up some Kitmaster TT Mk1 coaches on eBay.

If I can be sensible, attached is the plan for the fiddleyard for the south end of the layout in N. The main line and the branch each have their own set of loops but they are also connected by a single track 180 degree curve so that trains can run through from one to the other off-scene and a chord so that trains can run round a reversing loop on the main line. The main purpose of this loop though is to turn locomotives and return them to the Bradford end of the train. I know this sounds picky but I want the express passenger rakes to always be the right way round. And in addition to all of this, I have added a couple of spurs to connect to the second fiddleyard so that trains of open mineral wagons can be operated in roundy-roundy fashion empty or full.

SpaceD of this parish has located a source of 4' x 2' panels of ply at a good price. As soon as I can collect these (would have been on Sunday but for the floods), I hope to make a start.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not much progress made despite lockdown. Too much other "stuff" going on in life and uncertainty about where I will be living in future.

I have been doing a bit of drawing work on the station area though to try and make a few improvements. Some good results but it leaves me still uncertain about which scale. I would prefer 00 in so many ways but that means building something that I will never be able put up at home and run (other than some therapeutic shunting and the branch trains). See TeamYakima (Paul) recently on this subject re his Beijiao layout. It might also look a bit squashed (4' x 3' modules). The extra width for 2mm/N (4' x 2' modules) may well be the clincher.

Actually, writing this does give rise to the idea that local passenger trains would be short (3 coaches). So, with just a 4' cassette yard at each end, it would be possible to run quite a lot of trains, just not the expresses.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
Typo

• RMweb Gold
On 03/11/2016 at 09:44, Andrew P said:

Morning Joseph, I do like the idea, and I also looked at that area many years ago after spending almost the whole of one show watching the Manchester Clubs Dewsbury Midland Layout with those wonderful curved Viaducts and Mills.

I wish you well with this but I personally would still look at maybe smaller and in OO, a couple of reasons really, there are some nice 8F's, 9F's and Black 5's and the detail is so much better on OO, but at the end of the day, you can get twice as much scenery into an N Gauge Layout.,

As for the name, I do like Dewsbury West, as it sounds right to me.

All the best with the Build and I'm looking forward to seeing a Track Plan.

Ever since Andy P wrote this, I have had nagging doubts about doing this in N. It's not so much the detailing on locos (I am no rivet-counter) but that N is just too small for my clumsy digits, whether that is track or operational signals.

The decision is finally made and I am going to go for doing this in 4mm 00. Have done a lot of what the ladies call "retail therapy" over the last couple of days with various suppliers and now have about half of the locos that I will need and a few coaches that were available at good prices. Certainly doing my bit to relaunch the economy.

Today and tomorrow are the last couple of days that I will have for a while before a big push over the next five weeks on building renovation. So I will be printing off some point templates and sticking them down to some 4' x 2' sheets of ply that I obtained recently. It will be interesting to see whether the plans on the computer stand up to the reality.

The downside to all this is that I don't yet have anywhere that the whole layout can be erected. That should be resolved in a few years time when I plan to retire. Meanwhile, I can set up parts of the layout and play with shunting movements and the like.

• RMweb Gold

So, elsewhere on RMweb, I have been asking questions about the right train formations (passenger) for this project. That started out with a question about the ex-LNER sleeping cars that were used on alternate nights for the Edinburgh - St Pancras sleeper. My thanks to those who have contributed there.

I have been working with a book that gives the train formations for all the long-distance trains on the former Midland. It is dated for 1955 which is a bit earlier than I want. My intention had been to have a slightly flexible timescale for the setting of the layout (1957 - 1963) but I have come to realise that this is probably difficult to do as it was a period of so much change. It is probably better to have two distinct dates; 1957 and 1964.

1957 because it is after the date at which Third Class became Second Class and BR Maroon came into use. Therefore a lot of the rolling stock (50%?) can be used for both dates but the changes, including some use of diesels, can be portrayed.

Over the weekend, I worked out most of the passenger timetable for 1957 - albeit based on 1955 information. Timings have to be adapted quite a lot with services being much quicker from London to Bradford via a direct route rather than the reversal at Leeds. Would trains have left Bradford at the same time but arrived in London much earlier? Or would they have departed later? Probably a bit of both.

I do actually have a London Midland Region timetable for 1964. It will be interesting to see if the layout timetable needs any modification or if it is just a case of putting different stock on the layout.

Some may, understandably, wonder why I am working on a timetable for a layout that is a long way from being built yet. Firstly, it's an aspect of railways which I find interesting and enjoyable. But in a modelling context it is helping me to see what I need by way of lines in the storage yards. Each train is being identified by a working number and its position at all times through the operating sequence to check that there is space for it in the storage yards. Cassettes could be an answer for some of the shorter trains but not for the longer express rakes (10 - 11 vehicles).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It became clear on the other thread (rolling stock) that not everyone is familiar with the proposed Midland West Riding Lines. It's not just about the main line from Royston to Bradford but also a long branch loop via Huddersfield and Halifax and back around to Bradford close to the alignment that the GNR would subsequently develop around Queensbury. Jamie 92208 posted a good diagram map of this back on the first page of this thread.

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

It became clear on the other thread (rolling stock) that not everyone is familiar with the proposed Midland West Riding Lines. It's not just about the main line from Royston to Bradford but also a long branch loop via Huddersfield and Halifax and back around to Bradford close to the alignment that the GNR would subsequently develop around Queensbury. Jamie 92208 posted a good diagram map of this back on the first page of this thread.

As Joe has mentioned the railway development  and the proposals were complex and varied over tme depending on which partner the Midland was getting into bed with. These included the LNWR, the Hull and Barndley, The GN and the L&Y at different times.  This is mostly explained in the article I wrote in Midland Record, IIRC it was No 22. If anyone would like a copy of the plain text of that, I might have it on an old PC but don't ask at the moment. If I find it I'll put a note on this thread.

As to the sleeper timings as far as I know the only ones that matter are the departure and arrival times at the termini, which are driven by commercial and timetabling pressures. Thus the stops at Bradford would no doubt have time to alliw some slow running through the coalfields.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

It became clear on the other thread (rolling stock) that not everyone is familiar with the proposed Midland West Riding Lines.

I'm quite surprised by that statement. 

Nearly every other layout nowadays seems to include Dewsbury in some form or other.

I'm thinking about modelling an extension from Railway Street (L&Y) to Batley and on to Low Moor via Birkenshaw. 

This would obliterate Dewsbury Town Hall and most of the shopping centre thereby putting Dewsbury in its place as subservient to Batley.

At least the football team seem to recognise their station in life.

Alright. Before too many splenetic replies I am a Batley lad having a laugh.

Joking apart though my father always said that there was a rumour of some sort of similar extension.

Does anyone know the truth in that?

I used to doodle potential projects onto paper years ago before I lost contact with the real world, although I did have a basic branch terminus based on the idea when I was at Uni.

The line into Huddersfield was built, as I am sure that you will be aware, although I believe that it never opened to passengers.

The site is occupied by Aldi, Matalans and the like today.

Ian T

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

As you say, a Midland line into Huddersfield did get built but as a goods only branch off the L&Y (later off the LNW). It's not on the same alignment as what the Midland was originally proposing which left the main line south of Dewsbury to get to Huddersfield via Kirkheaton - so travelling westwards rather than south-west.

Yes, a lot of Dewsbury-based layouts over the years. But I don't think we are close to catching up with Ashburton, Moretonhampstead, Tetbury and the like.

• RMweb Premium

The Midland did make designs for a passenger station at St Johns and I've been shown the plans. It was going to be a three platform terminus in the north west corner of the Goods yard site alongside whatcU think is StcHohns Road from memory with the building and concourse near where the inner ring road is. There was also a proposed siding for transferring coal to the corporation coal trams.

As to the Batley proposal, as it's 41 years to the day that I married a Batley Lass who came from a proud Batley business family, I can only say that I'm in favour.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

The Midland did make designs for a passenger station at St Johns and I've been shown the plans. It was going to be a three platform terminus in the north west corner of the Goods yard site alongside whatcU think is StcHohns Road from memory with the building and concourse near where the inner ring road is. There was also a proposed siding for transferring coal to the corporation coal trams.

As to the Batley proposal, as it's 41 years to the day that I married a Batley Lass who came from a proud Batley business family, I can only say that I'm in favour.

Jamie

That's interesting. I did draw a plan some years ago for a Huddersfield Midland terminus on that alignment but extended slightly further towards the town centre. There was a convenient mill to hide the exit off scene.

I know that I did an N gauge version which fitted on a door (NGS Journal competition). I probably drew a 4mm version as well.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A long overdue update.

Not much advance has been possible with big changes in personal circumstances. Covid has also played its part as it does not seem sensible to build a layout that would be exhibition-only when the future of exhibitions is compromised.

With work/business wrecked by Covid, I have been looking at suitable properties to retire to in France. That won't be easy unless Brexit turns out differently but still worth trying to do with many houses over there having suitable attics or outbuildings at very reasonable prices. Note that I say attics rather than lofts in the sense that they are semi-habitable and have staircase access.

I have seen several suitable properties and just need divorce finances and/or the sale of my late parents' house to make a purchase. But today, I have found a superb property, not only a large attic but a great view over a railway station. I have just been on the 'net checking out how to set up a webcam site.

The house needs a bit lot of DIY work but much too good to turn down at the price.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, as the saying goes, if something is too good to be true, it usually is. Looks as though there is going to be a bit of a battle over this property.

I have actually worked as an estate agent for a while, many years ago. So I know the tricks of the trade and there is something not quite right going on here. They have picked on the wrong guy!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, a 100m2 attic with a nice house below is pretty good. View over the Paris-Toulouse main line is a bonus, even if it probably detracts from the value of the property for non-enthusiasts.

The only downside is that the attic is square. 20m x 5m would be more useful from a layout viewpoint.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Yes, a 100m2 attic with a nice house below is pretty good. View over the Paris-Toulouse main line is a bonus, even if it probably detracts from the value of the property for non-enthusiasts.

The only downside is that the attic is square. 20m x 5m would be more useful from a layout viewpoint.

Dick Strawbridge will sort that for you!

Mike.

• Funny 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

An update long overdue.

Having made an offer in October 2020 and confirmed in December 2020, I finally managed to start work on the building in April this year and finally bought it (legal complications) in July.

Unfortunately, ill health has led me to the decision that I will not be able to complete the project and I should put it back on the market.

Signed up with an estate agent on Tuesday last week and it was sold on Friday.

I don't know where I will be moving to but it will certainly not have space for a layout unless in N - and even then rather simpler.

• Friendly/supportive 4