BRM Dec + Free Corgi Mini + Free DVD!

SteveCole

• Administrators

Hi all,

We've got an exciting few months lined-up for BRM, starting with the December issue which you can download as a Digital Edition from 12pm on Friday, November 4th and buy in shops from Thursday, November 10th! We're giving away 2,000 FREE* Corgi 60th Anniversary Mini Coopers worth £16.99 each. And, remember that EVERY issue also comes with a FREE DVD!

post-14186-0-74311500-1478187010_thumb.jpg

This issue also features a great competition to Win a Bachmann Train Set worth £210!

This is all on top of what we believe is a cracking edition. Expect 3 great layouts - 1960s S&C steam & MoD Depot plus steam and diesel giants in O - five step-by-step practical articles plus the latest product news. You can also read in-depth reviews of Bachmann's Wickham Type 27 Trolley Car and Dapol's LNER A4!

We really do expect this issue to be a big seller, which is why we recommend that you subscribe. Not only does it ensure you never miss and issue, but you benefit from free UK delivery and you will receive your issue before it goes on-sale in the shops! Click here for a great Christmas Subscription offer - 3 issues for just £3!

Enjoy the magazine,

The BRM Team

*You just pay P&P. UK offer only.

post-14186-0-85258300-1478182275.jpg

Here's what's inside BRM December

3 Great Layouts

Dovington Camp - British Rails 1990 - OO gauge

Harlyn Road - various ERAs - O gauge

Carsdale - London Midland Region 1960s - OO gauge

Expert modelling advice

How to...recreate a horse-drawn shunting scene

Eliminating the 'hand of god'

Build a micro-box layout (Part 2)

Build a 21st Century Inspection Saloon

Modify a DJM 'Austerity'

Something a little different

Operations: Gunpowder Traffic - 1850-2000

Memorable Models: Tri-Ang Exploding Car

Inbox - letters, Q&A & Projects

Events

Tail Lamp

Product news & reviews

Product News

New models

Review: Bachmann Wickham Type 27 Trolley Car

Review: Bachmann Network '101' with sound...and passengers

Review: Dapol LNER A4 4-6-2

What's on the FREE DVD?

Behind the scenes at the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway

How to achieve a realistic weathered look for your track

BR freight and Metro action at the superb 'Roundtrees Sidings' (EM)

I'm reading the digital edition and see (p102) a note telling hard copy readers to download the digital edition to see more Wickham trolley images. So where are they hidden?

Other than that tiny point it's a great read

• Moderators

I'm reading the digital edition and see (p102) a note telling hard copy readers to download the digital edition to see more Wickham trolley images. So where are they hidden?

Other than that tiny point it's a great read

Hello, thanks for letting us know - now added to the page. You might need to re-download to see though.

Best regards,

Howard

unfortunately I had an email from someone at BRM saying they could no longer accept free listings for exhibitions,but I coud pay for an advert , so despite always being very happy on way Warners  have done business over the years, this is one step too far, especially as this hobby needs the small clubs with small local exhibtions. Yes I know this is a grumble, but there were similar grumbles about way Hornby was treating sall local shops and they have had to rethink. RM just dropped through the door and had my latest letter, on getting more members to join our local club.

unfortunately I had an email from someone at BRM saying they could no longer accept free listings for exhibitions,but I coud pay for an advert , 

You can list exhibitions for free in the RMweb Calendar and in the Exhibitions topics which permit more detail and content than the old diary in the magazine did - have you done that?

• Administrators

unfortunately I had an email from someone at BRM saying they could no longer accept free listings for exhibitions,but I coud pay for an advert , so despite always being very happy on way Warners  have done business over the years, this is one step too far, especially as this hobby needs the small clubs with small local exhibtions. Yes I know this is a grumble, but there were similar grumbles about way Hornby was treating sall local shops and they have had to rethink. RM just dropped through the door and had my latest letter, on getting more members to join our local club.

There is logic in our thinking. We usually dedicate around 4-pages to Diary Dates per issue (this varies depending on the time of year). RMweb and World-of-Railways both feature very popular Events Listings. More people should see your listing on RMweb or World-of-Railways than it would if included as a free listing in BRM. By offering this service for free on both websites is helping promote small club events. It also frees up extra space in the magazine for more editorial.

If you want to promote your event even more, you have the option to pay for an advert or Gold Listing in BRM, or an advanced listing within World-of-Railways.

Sorry Steve, don't agree. I am with railway modellers a lot, being a member of a local club, and still lots of people find out via magazines.

I look at both magazines and online,my main online source  for exhibitions is UKmodelshops.co.uk . It is very rare that an advert in a magazine will draw my attention to there being an exhibition somewhere. In magazines I tend to only look in the listings, which I had assumed would be most comprehensive.

One reason for actually having this exhibition is that there are no other exhibitions up north at start of January, so I would expect there not to be any many lisings as other times of year.  It used to be Preston weekend before they moved,so it has potential, being first proper weekend after christmas. 

There is logic in our thinking.

I'm not so sure it's logical thinking otherwise it would rather infer that other magazines who do still offer an events diary are being illogical. I suspect that it's more likely to be an editorial/management decision probably based on commercial and financial considerations. But I guess I could be wrong.

G

• RMweb Gold

Being devils advocate, it's not the end of the world to not have exhibition listings, not all of them are in all magazines anyway, and as more information is reasonably easily available elsewhere, it's no great loss.

With my cynical head on though, as long as it frees up pages for more editorial and not more pages of adverts, (or else why would there be a charge for exhibition listings if not to cover for the loss in advertising revenue these pages take up?), then it's a good idea.

Mike.

• Administrators

In the 80+ members of my club, I don't think more than a dozen go to anything other than our own event each year. With the rise of web based listings, do we need dozens of paper pages each month?

I love going to shows, but if the average modeller (and club members are keener than most) isn't that fussed, then why bother?

One reason for actually having this exhibition is that there are no other exhibitions up north at start of January, so I would expect there not to be any many lisings as other times of year.  It used to be Preston weekend before they moved,so it has potential, being first proper weekend after christmas. 

I still don't see any listings for an exhibition in the NW in January - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/calendar/1-rmweb-exhibitionevent-calendar/01-2017

If you do want to promote the show there's your chance - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/calendar/1-rmweb-exhibitionevent-calendar/01-2017

• Administrators

Is there any other scale/gauge content rather than just O and OO? I can't discern any from the listing.

G. 

Eliminating the 'hand of god' - N gauge

Build a micro-box layout (Part 2) - N gauge

There's also an article on modelling realistic rocks, which is applicable to any scale.

Eliminating the 'hand of god' - N gauge

Build a micro-box layout (Part 2) - N gauge

There's also an article on modelling realistic rocks, which is applicable to any scale.

Thanks.

Eliminating the 'hand of god' - that should be interesting in N/2mm.

G.

Part 2 of my N gauge layout project is very much not 4 or 7mm scale. I'm very pleased with the result though.

Is that the 'Build a micro-box layout' article mentioned in the contents listing?

G. 

• Administrators

Is that the 'Build a micro-box layout' article mentioned in the contents listing?

G. 

Yes it is. First time I've built a layout in N and it certainly interested a lot of people at TINGS.

We'll have the model at Warley too as there were a lot of people nodding at it thinking they could do something similar. OK, so it's not a great railway empire but as a starter project it offers a chance to get your hands dirty doing some modelling whilst not devoting too many resources (time, money, space) to the job. Basically, we want to get people modelling and if this does the job, it's served its purpose.

Mind you, one lucky reader will be taking it away for free at Ally Pally next year. Details in the magazine.

Archived