TCS EU621

wiggy1

Hi,

I have two new 21 pin direct TCS EU621 decoders and functions F3 and F4 not working.

Is there some thing I have to activate to get them to work.

Looked in Decoder Pro and everything appears to be ticked and I've tried to remap to another function button and still not working.

Tried it on my ESU decoder tester and still not working.

I have two of them and tried both and not working straight out of the packet.

Any help please.

Its just like there is no power coming out of them.

Would be the Brown and Pink wires IF they had wires.

Thank you.

Regards,

Neil.

Hi,

I have two new 21 pin direct TCS EU621 decoders and functions F3 and F4 not working.

Looked in Decoder Pro and everything appears to be ticked and I've tried to remap to another function button and still not working.

Any help please.

Thank you.

Regards,

Neil.

CV 21= 0 Extra Functions Green and Purple wire = 3 acording to the TCS website

trevora

CV 21= 0 Extra Functions Green and Purple wire = 3 acording to the TCS website

trevora

Thanks for the reply.

According to the info I have that came with the decoder those settings are for consist lighting control.

I tried them anyway but still no joy.

Thanks anyway.

Neil.

Is it a mapping problem? - although they are the 'next' physical outputs, are they, by default, programmed to act as higher F numbers so as not to interfere with possible other devices or internal effects????   eg I have a (different make) where they are mapped to F11 and F12.  ... have you stepped through all 28 options to check ???

Edited by Phil S

Is it a mapping problem? - although they are the 'next' physical outputs, are they, by default, programmed to act as higher F numbers so as not to interfere with possible other devices or internal effects????   eg I have a (different make) where they are mapped to F11 and F12.  ... have you stepped through all 28 options to check ???

Hi Phil,

Yes I've checked all the way to F28

I've checked the mapping with Decoder pro and moved them as well, its just like there is no output from them.

Thanks for your advice.

Neil.

What values have you programmed into cv53 and 54. Presume it is lighting effects you are trying to get working.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I'm just trying to get anything working.

There is just no response from those connections.

Its as if these two outputs need turning on.

All the other 4 functions work OK but nothing from these two.

I have two both new out of the packet and both the same.

Neil.

Neil,

Do you have a loco with an EU 621 already fitted that you could swap out

just to prove where the problem is. It seems unlikely to have 2 faulty decoders.

Keith

Hi Keith,

No these are the only two brand new decoders I have.

Neil.

Are you using a DCC system or just decoder pro etc.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Both.

Test it out with a Lenz controller and change CV's on a programming track along with DP as well.

Do you have a TCS 6 function decoder yourself?

Neil.

Hi,

Any help please.

Thank you.

Regards,

Neil.

Being a 21pin decoder, if fitted to most standard 21 pin locos, only F0f &  F0r  and F1 would likely work, these being the front and rear directional lights and possibly cab lights ? via F1.  To use the remaining function outputs F02 / 3 / 4 would require adding additional connections/wiring up to the main circuit board.  

Provided you can read CV's ?   CV's 53 & 54 control Function outputs 3 & 4 - check these both read 32  = constant output in both directions - these should already be set as supplied. IF these are both set at 0 these outputs won't work, or show as working on an ESU decoder tester.

I've previously used a number of these decoders, and they all worked OK  - which included using all 6 function outputs for independent lighting circuits etc. 

HTH

Ken

Edit:   The default CV's and F keys for the EU621 are as follows:

F0f &F0r  CV33=1 and CV34=2  via Key F0

F output 1 (Green) CV35=4        via Key F1

F output 2 (Purple) CV36=8       via Key  F2

F output 3 (Brown) CV39=16      via Key F3

F output 4 (Pink)    CV40=32      via Key F4 

Edited by tractor_37260

Being a 21pin decoder, if fitted to most standard 21 pin locos, only F0f &  F0r  and F1 would likely work, these being the front and rear directional lights and possibly cab lights ? via F1.  To use the remaining function outputs F02 / 3 / 4 would require adding additional connections/wiring up to the main circuit board.  

Provided you can read CV's ?   CV's 53 & 54 control Function outputs 3 & 4 - check these both read 32  = constant output in both directions - these should already be set as supplied. IF these are both set at 0 these outputs won't work, or show as working on an ESU decoder tester.

I've previously used a number of these decoders, and they all worked OK  - which included using all 6 function outputs for independent lighting circuits etc. 

HTH

Ken

Edit:   The default CV's and F keys for the EU621 are as follows:

F0f &F0r  CV33=1 and CV34=2  via Key F0

F output 1 (Green) CV35=4        via Key F1

F output 2 (Purple) CV36=8       via Key  F2

F output 3 (Brown) CV39=16      via Key F3

F output 4 (Pink)    CV40=32      via Key F4 

Hi Ken,

Checked CV's 53 and 54 both reading 32

I think the CV's you have quoted at the bottom are for remapping the functions.

I have tried this and still no joy.

My settings for CV 39 and 40 were 8 and 16 which I have changed to 16 and 32 but still not working.

It's as if the brown and Pink are turned off, thats IF they had wires but you get my meaning.

What a nightmare this is, I've tried everything I know and more and nothing is working for those to functions.

Sent an email yesterday to TCS but no reply from them as yet.

If you have a 6 function TCS decoder any chance you could check your settings on one's that uses the Brown and Pink out put?

Regards,

Neil.

I vaguely remember a comment elsewhere that some ESU testers are not correctly wired for all lighting functions to all sockets.  So, I'd test that out as well.

Good point.

Checked that out with a Lokpilot 6 function and working fine.

Neil.

Hi Ken,

Checked CV's 53 and 54 both reading 32

I think the CV's you have quoted at the bottom are for remapping the functions.

I have tried this and still no joy.

My settings for CV 39 and 40 were 8 and 16 which I have changed to 16 and 32 but still not working.

It's as if the brown and Pink are turned off, thats IF they had wires but you get my meaning.

What a nightmare this is, I've tried everything I know and more and nothing is working for those to functions.

Sent an email yesterday to TCS but no reply from them as yet.

If you have a 6 function TCS decoder any chance you could check your settings on one's that uses the Brown and Pink out put?

Regards,

Neil.

Hi Neil

Quote - "I think the CV's you have quoted at the bottom are for remapping the functions"

NO The decoders are supplied with these settings as DEFAULT  the 6 functions worked by Keys F0 f&r  F1 F2 F3 F4

As supplied, function outputs 3 & 4 ("Brown/Pink") should work on F Keys 3 & 4 

I have remapped functions 1 2 3 and 4 to different F keys on the only example I presently have, so that would only confuse the issue.

Try fitting the decoder to a 21pin loco, and wiring up the correct pins (at the circuit board solder tabs - NOT directly to the decoder) for the Aux 3 & 4 outputs, then connect to LED's via resistors the + commons all being connected together, then try using F Keys F3 and F4 this will confirm if they work or not.

This photos below shows the 21 pin connection points for Aux 3 & 4 using an EU621   -   Red wire(5) = Aux FO 3   Green wire(6) = Aux FO 4 

HTH

Ken

post-2215-0-57549600-1478275627_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-17216900-1478275700_thumb.jpg

Edited by tractor_37260

Hi Neil

Try fitting the decoder to a 21pin loco, and wiring up the correct pins (at the circuit board solder tabs - NOT directly to the decoder) for the Aux 3 & 4 outputs, then connect to LED's via resistors the + commons all being connected together, then try using F Keys F3 and F4 this will confirm if they work or not.

This photos below shows the 21 pin connection points for Aux 3 & 4 using an EU621   -   Red wire(5) = Aux FO 3   Green wire(6) = Aux FO 4 

HTH

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the trouble of photoing this for me.

I've sent you a PM.

Regards,

Neil.

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Any help please.

Thank you.

Regards,

Neil.

I've just been playing with a 21MTC 6-function decoder and had a similar issue.

But - it turns out there's a problem with the ESU 53900 decoder tester. Note - Nigel's comments in post#18

When I plugged it into the 21MTC socket, AUX3 and 4 did not work. When I connected it via a harness into the 8 pin socket and hardwired the brown and pink wires into the AUX3/4 screw terminals, it worked and lit up the AUX3/4 LEDs on the decoder tester as required.

I've made it work with the 21MTC socket by hardwiring links from the MTC connector pin 13 and 4 for AUX3/4 respectively on the ESU board to the solder tabs underneath the screw terminals for AUX 3 and 4. The pcb track adjacent to the MTC connector has also been cut just in case it's connected to something else.

I'll try and get a pic later.

Cheers,

Mick