I do have two of the Trix Pullman cars to go with my rake of SR refinished green Mk.1s.The photo only shows one behind my HD Crediton.Nearly all Trix coaches need some refurbishment,glazing for instance replaced with clear plastic sheet & white gloss paint on the toilet windows.Some of them have been glued together necessitating careful cutting along the glue lines & building up the side at roof level with micro strip,regrooving the roofs & generally making good.With care,one can`t tell that they`ve been repaired.

post-4249-0-09866600-1500588863_thumb.jpg

Ray.

Edited by sagaguy
  • Like 3

My brother and I always controlled our slot cars with the train controllers, which I suppose were not ideal. A slot car controller si supposed to put a short across the motor in the off position to give braking. Trains almost all had worm gear drives at the time (Exceptions Trix AC and Gaiety) so braking is unnecessary. I always wondered why slot cars didn't use worm gears, but I suppose it's concerned with the power loss in the gears. again not a great problem for trains. Our limiting factor is adhesion between wheel and rail; Slot cars have rubber tyres for maximum grip.

Reverse is not really needed in a slot car and the braid pickup is rather allergic to running backwards anyway. IIRC the Minic cars use a different system of pickup. (I never had any so I can't be sure.

My brother and I always controlled our slot cars with the train controllers, which I suppose were not ideal. A slot car controller si supposed to put a short across the motor in the off position to give braking. Trains almost all had worm gear drives at the time (Exceptions Trix AC and Gaiety) so braking is unnecessary. I always wondered why slot cars didn't use worm gears, but I suppose it's concerned with the power loss in the gears. again not a great problem for trains. Our limiting factor is adhesion between wheel and rail; Slot cars have rubber tyres for maximum grip.

Reverse is not really needed in a slot car and the braid pickup is rather allergic to running backwards anyway. IIRC the Minic cars use a different system of pickup. (I never had any so I can't be sure.

Minic used a divided cone shaped roller pickup initially, but changed over to lightly sprung contacts in later models. Reverse worked with both, but you did need the reversing pin that ran in the slot.

I got my E3001 loco this morning,one of the pans won`t lock down,i think it`s down to geometry,has anyone successfully got one to lock down,it`s not damaged though.Also,does anyone know of a supplier of 15mm disc wheels for the trailing bogie as i like to fit extra pickups to them.I could make a set on my lathe if it comes to it.

Cheers,Ray.

I got my E3001 loco this morning,one of the pans won`t lock down,i think it`s down to geometry,has anyone successfully got one to lock down,it`s not damaged though.Also,does anyone know of a supplier of 15mm disc wheels for the trailing bogie as i like to fit extra pickups to them.I could make a set on my lathe if it comes to it.

Cheers,Ray.

I have issues with mine springing up too Ray and for test I just used sellotape to prevent them hitting bridges.  They are not as good as the Tri-ang style scissor ones in that respect.  I don't know if others just removed the springs as very few actually run them under the wires.

Garry

Lots of interesting posts on Tri-ang railways and contemporaries. After many failed attempts at building Hornby 3 rail and Tri-ang standard track layouts on warped hardboard bases I built this waterfall layout in the late 1960s on a chipboard base in my parent's loft. I think this was Tri-ang at its best for me. The super 4 track on a foam base was more robust than the system 6 track and the mixture of Hornby-Dublo and Tri-ang locomotives ran very well on it. Magnadhesion and the steel track enabled the Tri-ang Hornby locomotives to pull reasonably long trains. For me they lacked the sophistication of the Hornby-Dublo Barnstaple which easily coped with six Pullmans. The Tri-ang Hornby locomotives sounded like tractors but they were still fun to play with and the X04 motors were very good. The electrically operated turntable in the corner was quite good but not as good as the Fleischman turntable.post-17621-0-98333900-1500740517_thumb.jpg

The layout was 8' x 5' and if I had any sense I would have stopped there as my model railway has got completely out of hand since then.

• Like 4

You are right, I had forgotten the earlier Tri-ang signals, but I think the arms are the same - they both suffer from generous dimensions. However 1978 was still Tri-ang(-Hornby) and the S.B.D. still applies.

Luckily there are still plenty of Dublo signals about, even the electric versions, and only cost a few pounds. 

Their colour lights were less successful thanks to the bulbs sticking out, but LEDs make an effective replacement.

I measured up some signal arms - according to my ruler* the widths are HD 3mm**, Trix 4mm, Tri-ang and Crescent 5mm. What I can't find anywhere are the prototype dimensions. My GWR signal book has gone 'walkabout'. There are plenty of photographs but no dimensions - the only drawing I can find is of an Italian signal, but the dimensions are illegible. (All I can make out is the scale 1:40.) I'll have to dig out my scale Ratio and K's signals and measure those....

* Not 100% accurate I know  ("Must try harder", as my teachers used to say.)

** I would have thought ⅛". Meccano Ltd. didn't recognise the existence of millimetres!

Edited by Il Grifone

I want to replace the trailing bogie wheels with metal wheels on my Triang E3001 to improve the pick up.The original plastic wheels are 15mm dia,the only wheels i can find at the moment are Hornby 14.1mm dia,Has anyone got any suggestions as to where i might get metal 15mm wheels?.

Ray.

Lots of interesting posts on Tri-ang railways and contemporaries. After many failed attempts at building Hornby 3 rail and Tri-ang standard track layouts on warped hardboard bases I built this waterfall layout in the late 1960s on a chipboard base in my parent's loft. I think this was Tri-ang at its best for me. The super 4 track on a foam base was more robust than the system 6 track and the mixture of Hornby-Dublo and Tri-ang locomotives ran very well on it. Magnadhesion and the steel track enabled the Tri-ang Hornby locomotives to pull reasonably long trains. For me they lacked the sophistication of the Hornby-Dublo Barnstaple which easily coped with six Pullmans. The Tri-ang Hornby locomotives sounded like tractors but they were still fun to play with and the X04 motors were very good. The electrically operated turntable in the corner was quite good but not as good as the Fleischman turntable.attachicon.gif024.JPG

The layout was 8' x 5' and if I had any sense I would have stopped there as my model railway has got completely out of hand since then.

I've done it, gone back in many ways and created a layout very much in the style of the 60's, I've tried the most realistic prototype, spent many a hour studying a small branch line, making sure all the stock fitted the period etc etc, boring.

Then saw a model railway at a local club just built on a board using small radius points, no particular phototype using commercial kits like superquick, Metcalf, airfix, Hornby signals etc

Latest layout, 3 running lines, loads of siding to play shunting, Hornby Dublo uncouplers (works both systems tension lock / peco) HD signals, all commercial kits etc for stations, building etc apart from 14 in high coaling tower nothing else is scratch built.

Nearly all the stock is Hornby Dublo/wrenn or traing/-traing-Hornby, early airfix, reason almost everything else purchased or made since has failed, mainline axles snaped, Lima chassis twisted, even modern Hornby have had motor problems

I want to replace the trailing bogie wheels with metal wheels on my Triang E3001 to improve the pick up.The original plastic wheels are 15mm dia,the only wheels i can find at the moment are Hornby 14.1mm dia,Has anyone got any suggestions as to where i might get metal 15mm wheels?.

Ray.

Ray, you could try the Wrenn or Tri-ang (Hornby) A4 tender ones.  I don't know their size but were quite large and later ones had metal tyres.  They may have been 14 but I could not say.

Garry

Ray, you could try the Wrenn or Tri-ang (Hornby) A4 tender ones.  I don't know their size but were quite large and later ones had metal tyres.  They may have been 14 but I could not say.

Garry

Ray, Garry, the metal wheels on the Tri-ang Hornby/Wrenn tender are 15mm diameter or as near as can be.

K9-70 

Would these be the wheels.

Hornby X9329 Class A1 / A3 / A4 Tender Wheels

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-X9329-Class-A1-A3-A4-Tender-Wheels/322577332424?_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26alg

If so,i can replaece the axles for pinpoints.

Ray.

Would these be the wheels.

Hornby X9329 Class A1 / A3 / A4 Tender Wheels

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-X9329-Class-A1-A3-A4-Tender-Wheels/322577332424?_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26alg

If so,i can replaece the axles for pinpoints.

Ray.

These are not what I was thinking of Ray. The ones I meant were the older split two wheels on one axle.

Garry

I measured up some signal arms - according to my ruler* the widths are HD 3mm**, Trix 4mm, Tri-ang and Crescent 5mm. What I can't find anywhere are the prototype dimensions. My GWR signal book has gone 'walkabout'. There are plenty of photographs but no dimensions - the only drawing I can find is of an Italian signal, but the dimensions are illegible. (All I can make out is the scale 1:40.) I'll have to dig out my scale Ratio and K's signals and measure those....

* Not 100% accurate I know  ("Must try harder", as my teachers used to say.)

** I would have thought ⅛". Meccano Ltd. didn't recognise the existence of millimetres!

More accurate measurement (+ 3.0 glasses!) of the Dublo arm has come up with 9/64" or about 10" in 4mm scale (or 5/32" as Dublo has it - the difference is negligible in the Dublo/Tri-ang universe). A Ratio (first, ready built series from a heady 7/6d) has 4mm for this dimension. About what I thought, but I would like to find the prototype dimensions.

More accurate measurement (+ 3.0 glasses!) of the Dublo arm has come up with 9/64" or about 10" in 4mm scale (or 5/32" as Dublo has it - the difference is negligible in the Dublo/Tri-ang universe). A Ratio (first, ready built series from a heady 7/6d) has 4mm for this dimension. About what I thought, but I would like to find the prototype dimensions.

How about these David?  The bottom one is a GW one but no explanation of the others.

Garry

post-22530-0-39228500-1500889297.jpg

post-22530-0-99840000-1500889324.jpg

Edited by Golden Fleece 30

• RMweb Premium

David, I have a copy of a drawing made by Graham Warburton for the LMS Society, showing a corrugated signal arm. The arm is 10" wide and the distance from the end of the arm to the centre of the green spectacle is 4' 9".

How about these David?  The bottom one is a GW one but no explanation of the others.

Garry

Just measured up the BR upper quadrant home signal arm I acquired 20 years ago from Collectors' Corner at Euston. Length 41.75" and width 10.25", so this corresponds closely to the first of Garry's images. I presume, therefore, this is a standard BR arm. Looks as though the Dublo dimensions were pretty much dead scale....

David 

• Like 1

First stage in fitting metal wheels to my Triang E3001.Failing at the moment to find any commercial wheels of 15mm dia.although i have ordered some Hornby A4 tender wheels this morning.I turned these on my lathe yesterday & while there is a small run out on them,they may be ok.They are superglued to Hornby R8096 axles.I now have to rewire the pantographs to pick up from the catenary on my HD 3 rail layout.post-4249-0-07992300-1500908885.jpg

Ray.

• Like 2

Success tonight,had the E3001 running under catenary for a very short distance.25KVAC under 1500v DC catenary,modellers licence strikes again.

Onwards & upwards,Ray.

• Like 1

Well dob

Well done!  I had E3001 and a couple of Electras when I was a boy, with double track catenary.  Still have the locos but no overhead yet on my P4 railway!  E3001 now has Bachmann chassis and seriously modified body, reduced height, roof from Bachmann 85, modified, and Mashima 1833 motor.  Will be E3002 in homage (?) to Dublo heritage..

One of the problems one gets is that this Triang loco having Stone Faivley pantographs is that the top hinge of the pantograph runs perilously close to the wire holders on the Trix posts.At a later date,i may have to raise the posts by raising them up by about a 1/4".

Fun isn`t it  ?.Ray.

I've now managed to photograph the early plunger Rovex Princess, carriages and track I have (temporarily) in my possesion.  I was going to put this in the 'Plunger Princess' thread but it's so old now I didn't bother!

A couple of shots of the loco and tender.  There is a large countersunk screw through the inside cylinder valve chest and a chunk out of the buffer beam which indicates it was possibly dropped at some time.  The loco/tender spacing is slightly out of scale.  I pity the poor fireman!

post-807-0-67237000-1501245540_thumb.jpg

post-807-0-82331400-1501245551_thumb.jpg

Some LMS banana coaches showing the original style couplings

post-807-0-70929600-1501245613_thumb.jpg

post-807-0-78433300-1501245626_thumb.jpg

And the original battery box controller - which has also warped a bit.

post-807-0-61239900-1501245641_thumb.jpg

I tried to run it a while back at a club running night but, whilst it did just about manage to pull the tender (no chance with the carriages which, even with oiling, are as stiff as new boots!), it wouldn't run through Peco Code 75 points.

As for track, this is the silvery grey original 'single ended' variety which seems to have difficulty in fastening together fully now.  It isn't warped though.  There are 2 straights and sufficient curves to complete the oval.

All the stock is in the remains of their original Rovex boxes but there isn't a full 'train set' box sadly.

How much could this be worth do you think?

• Like 5