Tri-ang Pullman's.

The first Pullman cars were made in 1958, with the mkIIb couplings.

The same names were used throughout production.

The table lamps changed colour, and shape, over time.

After the introduction of the Pullman brake car, changes were made to the

Pullman interior. A special interior was not made for the brake car, a cut down Parlour Car interior was used.

The very first brake cars had the interior glued in place. The modified interiors have tags added, to hold the cut down interior in place in a brake car without glue.

The Pullman car interior was used, without lamps, as the interior for the first series T.C. Diner Car models.

As well as the South Wales Pullman headboard and coach roofboards set, with the headboard to fit into two holes in the smokebox door of the Britannia locos, there was a set of adhesive coach side labels, and a headboard, arrows, and flags for the Golden Arrow designed for the Pullman cars, and the BoB class loco Winston Churchill.

(Other train coach roofboards were also available for a time, in another set of labels...)

I did write a short article for the TCS Train Collector magazine on the subject of the Tri-ang Pullman Cars... ;)

Edited by Sarahagain
additional stuff added
  • Informative/Useful 2

That green EE type 3, class 37, has lost its small yellow panels...which were self adhesive stickers.

They do dry up and drop off...

A quick replacement can be made from yellow insulation tape...but watch out as some insulation tape glue is a bit gloopy.

Or you could use some yellow paper, with double sided tape, or just find some yellow self adhesive labels! ;)

What...paint? ;)

On 04/06/2019 at 19:20, Dorkingian said:

To entertain some very young visitors recently I decided to run some more robust rolling stock, specifically the Tri-ang Class 37 D6830 and some Mk I coaches (which are surprisingly good for their period).  A good time was had by all - although the loco was reluctant to run over Peco points.

20190602_154308.jpg.0ee0f97578caf1a6a38d52ccc7c8511d.jpg

Why does this look so authentically mid-1960s in a way that so many finescale efforts can't match ? I write as a finescale EM gauger...

• Like 1

On 09/06/2019 at 22:52, CKPR said:

Why does this look so authentically mid-1960s in a way that so many finescale efforts can't match ?

Thanks for that, CKPR.  I like to think it's the scenery - all painstakingly hand-painted!

And thanks to Sarah for informing me about the missing yellow panels; having inherited the loco, I was unaware of their absence.

• Like 1

Yes.

On the Hymek, the tail lamps are not moulded on the body...

They are printed on the yellow panel labels.

Thinking about it, the Al1, or whatever it was, overhead electric loco had yellow labels for the yellow panels as well. These were a more complex shape as well!

And all of these locos had the headcodes as labels as well...

Quite correct.

Not forgetting the Rice Crispies version. ;)

There were also labels on the two versions of the Blue Circle cement wagon, and also the Australian version as well...

Then there is the side panels on the  large crane, but now it is getting into Hornby Railways time...

The Tri-ang Railways R.561 Container Wagon...

gallery_12119_3162_214416.jpg.3f31b55e5abf21a001fc83d98fd806e7.jpg

gallery_12119_3162_41956.jpg.5ea92d2618bdcbe24bb1098d9a3bd7c9.jpg

The wagon on the right is a slightly modified Conflat, from the R.340 3-Containers Wagon.

This is a more realistic option!

The wagon on the right is therefore a Genuine Fake model!

It just had to be done. ;)

Edited by Sarahagain
left to right!
  • Like 2

Perhaps even better, mount it on a Trix Conflat A. The later plastic chassis had proper mountings for the Tri-ang tension lock couplings too.

TriangOnTrixConflat.jpg.8fce738e5fbd139eddf230ea8c2a2465.jpg

It doesn't clip but could be glued, or attached with strips of double-sided tape or even Blu-Tak.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 2

I think the 37 looks better without the yellow panels anyway!  I'd just remove the moulded lines (and lower her a couple of millimetres onto her bogies*).

*This procedure improves the coaches too.

1 hour ago, Titan said:

Did any of the centre headcode 37s run without the yellow warning panel?

Now that you mention it, probably not. I must check mine, but I think most if not all of them are blue anyway.

I've decided one of them will appear in Europhoenix livery* (it's not a griffon (gyps fulvus) but the next best thing).

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/08/2018 at 16:49, Wolseley said:

I just purchased a slightly forlorn looking "Albert Hall" on eBay.  I intend to use it as the basis of a Caledonian Railway 60 Class 4-6-0 - after three railing the chassis of course.

On 22/08/2018 at 18:25, Il Grifone said:

I can't really approve of converting a Swindon product into something from one of the lesser railways, but on the other hand it is one of Tri-ang's less successful models (to be kind!).

You'll be pleased to know that my Albert Hall will now live on as a Hall, rather than be altered into something else.  In the 10 months since I bought it, it has been quietly sitting in a shoebox, awaiting its fate, as I have a number of other modelling projects that were a higher priority.  The reason for my change of plans is that I put in a bid for an assembled GEM Cardean Caledonian 903 class 4-6-0 on eBay, not expecting to win it, as the ones I have seen (and there aren't many of them) usually end up selling for around £150, but I ended up being the successful bidder at just under £50.  Given that the 903 and 60 class are not greatly dissimilar (the main differences being the raised footplate and outside cylinders of the 60 class and its 6 wheel tender in place of the 903's bogie tender) I have shelved the idea of acquiring a 60 class for the moment.

I swapped the Tri-ang/Hornby tender base for a Dublo one from a Castle, rerouted some of the wiring and now it is running happily on 3 rail track.  However, as I bought it cheaply with the intention of converting it into a 60 class, I didn't bother too much about its appearance at the time, but that has now assumed a bit more importance.  It is going to need a bit of work.  It was originally in GWR livery but has been rather poorly repainted as a BR engine, the wheels and motion have been "weathered" by splashing matt black paint all over them and its identity has been changed to Bryngwyn Hall.  I will refinish it as a BR engine and rename it (the nameplates and numberplates that the previous owner fitted have a few bends and glue splashes on them).  I was looking at the listing of Hall names and was somewhat disappointed that there wasn't one called Henry hall, as that would fit in well with my other hobby of collecting 78rpm records, but I did find one called Wolseley Hall......

Here it is:

P1010532.JPG.0c602a4d850bdebe462198fc45296cf4.JPG

Edited by Wolseley
(added photo)
  • Like 3

I have a Saint in progress (2920 Saint David what else?) to be finished in BR black livery. I'm undecided whether to convert to 3 rail, but there would be no real problem.

My Tri-ang/Pedigree container sits on a Dublo low-sided wagon.... IIRC it's actually the right length for a CONFLAT L (I could be wrong and I'm off to Sardinia for a couple of weeks  tomorrow :) , so there's no time to check.) The CONFLAT shouldn't have sides of course (illicit modification required?)

• RMweb Premium
On 10/07/2019 at 06:18, BernardTPM said:

Containers were sometimes carried in 5 plank wagons.

Generally not, as most yard cranes would be unable to lift them over the sides.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 09/07/2019 at 21:18, BernardTPM said:

Containers were sometimes carried in 5 plank wagons.

4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Generally not, as most yard cranes would be unable to lift them over the sides.

'Sometimes' and 'generally not' amount to much the same thing and I'm certainly not suggesting it was the normal way to carry containers. In this photo there are a couple of containers loaded into 5-plank wagons just to show that it did sometimes happen. Thus loaded there was no chance of the container going out of gauge. Ordinary plat wagons, such as Lowfits, could not be used as they had no proper way of securing the container, unlike proper Conflats. I have also seen pictures of them loaded into 3-plan dropside wagons. Again, with the sides secured the container couldn't slide out of gauge.

• Like 1

On 09/07/2019 at 16:14, Il Grifone said:

I have a Saint in progress (2920 Saint David what else?) to be finished in BR black livery. I'm undecided whether to convert to 3 rail, but there would be no real problem.

My Tri-ang/Pedigree container sits on a Dublo low-sided wagon.... IIRC it's actually the right length for a CONFLAT L (I could be wrong and I'm off to Sardinia for a couple of weeks  tomorrow :) , so there's no time to check.) The CONFLAT shouldn't have sides of course (illicit modification required?)

There were some Conflat Ls that had sides similar to a Lowfit; at least one of the Match Wagons at Newcastle was of this type. They were built to Diagram 1/066 rather than Diagram 1/068. Photos of both types can be found here:- https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/conflatl

BR 4-ton containers were often loaded into 5-plank opens when in MoD traffic.

• 8 months later...
On 10/07/2019 at 00:33, Wolseley said:

You'll be pleased to know that my Albert Hall will now live on as a Hall, rather than be altered into something else.  In the 10 months since I bought it, it has been quietly sitting in a shoebox, awaiting its fate, as I have a number of other modelling projects that were a higher priority.  The reason for my change of plans is that I put in a bid for an assembled GEM Cardean Caledonian 903 class 4-6-0 on eBay, not expecting to win it, as the ones I have seen (and there aren't many of them) usually end up selling for around £150, but I ended up being the successful bidder at just under £50.  Given that the 903 and 60 class are not greatly dissimilar (the main differences being the raised footplate and outside cylinders of the 60 class and its 6 wheel tender in place of the 903's bogie tender) I have shelved the idea of acquiring a 60 class for the moment.

I swapped the Tri-ang/Hornby tender base for a Dublo one from a Castle, rerouted some of the wiring and now it is running happily on 3 rail track.  However, as I bought it cheaply with the intention of converting it into a 60 class, I didn't bother too much about its appearance at the time, but that has now assumed a bit more importance.  It is going to need a bit of work.  It was originally in GWR livery but has been rather poorly repainted as a BR engine, the wheels and motion have been "weathered" by splashing matt black paint all over them and its identity has been changed to Bryngwyn Hall.  I will refinish it as a BR engine and rename it (the nameplates and numberplates that the previous owner fitted have a few bends and glue splashes on them).  I was looking at the listing of Hall names and was somewhat disappointed that there wasn't one called Henry hall, as that would fit in well with my other hobby of collecting 78rpm records, but I did find one called Wolseley Hall......

Here it is:

P1010532.JPG.0c602a4d850bdebe462198fc45296cf4.JPG

I have finished converting it to three rail, and have it running around the layout.  As for pickups, rather than convert the chassis, I used a spare Dublo Castle tender chassis that I had lying around.  The mechanism needs a bit of attention, as it is rather noisy and a bit reluctant to start, although once it has started it runs pretty well.  One problem is that the front bogie occasionally derails while going through pointwork.  I'm going to swap the bogie wheels with some Dublo ones and we'll see if that fixes things.

Fortunately, whoever repainted it confined their "improvements" to the loco's cab and tender.  The rest of it, other than the mess they made when gluing on the nameplates, is in exceptionally good condition.  I'm now thinking of naming it Lady Margaret Hall, my reason being that this appears to be the longest Hall name, and the last thing I want when I finish is for the ugly Tri-and nameplate mount to still be showing.

• Like 3

Well, I just finished lubricating the mechanism and wheels and it's starting and running well.  It's still a bit noisy, but at least it's noise is down to an acceptable level.  Perhaps a bit of continuous running will see further improvement.  The bogie, with its Dublo wheels, is no longer derailing on points, although they do look rather small under the Tri-ang body.  I don't have any other wheels I could use at the moment though.

On 30/03/2017 at 14:29, Il Grifone said:

It could well be.

The X.04 has its origins in the Zenith motor* a disc commutator design, but otherwise more of less the same thing.

* Were these originally fitted to the Rovex Princess? I'd have to check with Tri-ang volume of the bible.....

My KMR MR/LMS compound has one. It runs, but is rather delicate. If I were to use the locomotive on a regular basis, she would need a new chassis.

There's nothing wrong with the disc commutator per se. Thousands of Trix, Lima and Hornby locomotives use them (there are others of course).

Lionel Post-War era locos have them. Simple design, easy to assemble; especially with “open frame” type motors, in which the chassis is basically formed from extended motor sideplates, and with 3-rail designs with no requirement for electrical isolation of the axles, wheels and chassis.