Hornby Dublo breakdown crane

• RMweb Premium

Do you have a pic?

Rgds.........Mike

I'm sorry Mike, the unit and support vehicles are kept in a purpose built wooden box and are in store with the layout at the moment. If you look at the Nov issue of BRM you can se(some of it) on the Kensall Green shed layout.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

If anyone does them, I would imagine it would be Cambridge Custom Transfers  http://www.cctrans.org.uk/

'Fraid not - the HD crane is not prototypical in that the jib is too short.

I have one in the 'sometime' box which would need a new jib, but as the (sort-of) prototype never operated anywhere near my chosen modelling region, it probably won't happen.

............ and I have the Bachmann crane on pre-order.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/

Good evening

Some time ago I had the fancy to update the Hornby Crane and bought a couple on eBay. There was an article in the Railway Modeller back in the 1960s but at the end of the day I decided that there were too many negatives.

Whilst attempting to clean up the various wagons I 'lost' the transfers. You can make up very good representations using Microsoft Word - white print on a black background. I shall attempt to attach a file. I had some off white paper to print onto and then I attached the 'transfers' using the satin varnish.

Never thought to ask are there any transfers available for cowans sheldon breakdown cranes .!

Just some thoughts

Ray

Addendum - Railway Modeller December 1960!

DE 961665 XP 15 Final.docx

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 2

I tried to update the crane I have had for many years now. After changing the plastic wheels for more scale metal ones I had to give up because of the noise those wheels caused.

attachicon.gifCrane.jpg

Which wheels did you use?  (I want to avoid them!)  Did you have to drill out the sub chassis rivets?   I have one which runs very hard so I was planning on fitting Triang bogie wheels from a loco drive 1970s Flying Scotsman to the crane, they are metal one side and plastic with metal tyres the other side.

I replaced the handles with brass spindles with flats for the locking springs to bear on  and clock gears on the ends so it would still work, The rope is model ship rigging from Cheltenham Model Centre and for the jib lift I wound it round between the jib attachment and a spindle several times then to the winch so the jib lifted much slower.

It was done 15 years ago and kept my son amused while not looking too horribly out of place.  Its about time a decent DCC crane with slewing and lifting was available RTR for less than the cost of a small car.

Which wheels did you use?  (I want to avoid them!)  Did you have to drill out the sub chassis rivets?   

The wheels were standard Bachmann disc ones fitted at either end of drilled out chassis for the crane itself with the two other flangeless ones left just as they where and three hole wheels elsewhere. The bearing strips where levered out and the wheels entered in leaving a very loose connection which must be the reason for the noise. If I had had more time, I would have soldered top-hat bearings into those slots.  

This was a very halfhearted conversion without even an attempt to see how it ran. I do hope you are more successful.

Edited by Judge Dread