Lowering Lima Class 37

I had a go with a Lima 37 today (actually my second go but let us not mention the first), using Andrew's method for the trailing bogie and for the power bogie removing the side pads completely and then fabricating a new pair of 'beams' for the motor bogie pivots to rest on.

It improves the look beyond belief. However, I think the gap between the top of the bogie frame and body is too big. But if you reduce that (easy for the power end, not so for the other) then you run the risk of reducing the overall height to the point where it looks silly again.

If Andrew doesn't mind, I will post some photos tomorrow and compare the methods.

Do tell X2

Mostly were general detailing modifications and were things like Window frame replacements, roof fan grilles, proper lamp brackets, 2 of my 37's appeared in November 2003 Railway Modeller which listed most of the mods. Visually the cab windows jar the most with the Lima models, I haven't tried the EE etches on a Lima model as I had moved on to Bachmann base models by the time the EE range came out. With the exception of having a better motor, and body shape (with tumble home) the Bachmann ones need most of the detailing modifications applicable to a Lima model...   

I had a go with a Lima 37 today (actually my second go but let us not mention the first), using Andrew's method for the trailing bogie and for the power bogie removing the side pads completely and then fabricating a new pair of 'beams' for the motor bogie pivots to rest on.

It improves the look beyond belief. However, I think the gap between the top of the bogie frame and body is too big. But if you reduce that (easy for the power end, not so for the other) then you run the risk of reducing the overall height to the point where it looks silly again.

If Andrew doesn't mind, I will post some photos tomorrow and compare the methods.

Hi, please do.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew

The two external photos are self explanatory. I do think the body is still sitting too high on the bogie, but as previously I think lowering it too much would then make it look worse overall.

What I did afterwards (not photographed) was to put 2 HST power cars, one each side, with a metal ruler across the top of the three bodies- and it surprised me a little when I found that the 37 was slightly proud of the power cars. All three were sitting on the same Lima pizza cutter/ steam roller wheels.

I don't know what height the 37 is in relation to a HST, but can't imagine it being all that different. As Andrew wrote- rightly- that you aren't going to get a highly accurate model out of the basic Lima 37, but so far it does seem as if it can be made into a passable representation.

With the internal photo, that white piece of plastic has been used as a temporary bolster only, so that I can try and gauge and adjust the height more easily (shave a bit off the bottom to make it lower, pack plastic to raise it). It isn't a permanent solution as it isn't very strong- look at it incorrectly and it will come away- and also the bogie mount is so narrow that it makes it very easy for the body to tip a bit. But as a quick fix whilst finding the right height, it's a good option.

post-24376-0-62945400-1479158278_thumb.jpg

post-24376-0-78358700-1479158291_thumb.jpg

post-24376-0-41289900-1479158310_thumb.jpg

No, I haven't yet. Still not happy that I have the right height.

Though I did think (I haven't got the model in front of me to check) that, similar to the Bachmann model, that the axle boxes don't line up with the wheel centre. I wonder if the bogie frames are set too low. I might be completely wrong on that- I will check tomorrow.

Archived