Croydon Tram Accident

• RMweb Gold

Most unusual for such a vehicle to be on its side. Speeds are never high. I note a level crossing precedes the point of derailment and wonder whether something was askew. Let's hope injuries are superficial, although the scale of response implies otherwise.

There are pictures on other sites showing it on the curve where Tramlink joins the old railway route between Addiscombe tramstop and the tunnel.  However it is across the curve and not in the tunnel.  If it has come from Croydon it would have just passed a facing junction on a steep downward gradient, and heavy rain is also reported, so several possible reasons there.

Most unusual for such a vehicle to be on its side. Speeds are never high. I note a level crossing precedes the point of derailment and wonder whether something was askew. Let's hope injuries are superficial, although the scale of response implies otherwise.

Hi,

Yes, around there they are slow due to the presence of a tram stop and the 'Y' junction, plus the whole system is based on 'proceed-on-sight' authority (although I believe they have point detection on the Tramlink system and there would be a signal and point indicator at the tram stop), so I doubt he was going all that fast.

Simon

One of my son's work mates who works at Lovers Walk Brighton depot was on the crash tram. He was standing next to one of those who did not make it. He said in a facebook post that it appears the driver blacked out. The tram was heading towards Croydon from Beckenham through the former railway tunnel. At the end of the tunnel there is a road bridge just beyond the portal, then a very sharp right hand bend towards Sandilands tram station. It would appear that the tram has not slowed for the curve.

The RAIB have of course been notified of the crash.

Edited by roythebus

• RMweb Gold

One of my son's work mates who works at Lovers Walk Brighton depot was on the crash tram. He was standing next to one of those who did not make it. He said in a facebook post that it appears the driver blacked out. The tram was heading towards Croydon from Beckenham through the former railway tunnel. At the end of the tunnel there is a road bridge just beyond the portal, then a very sharp right hand bend towards Sandilands tram station. It would appear that the tram has not slowed for the curve.

The RAIB have of course been notified of the crash.

Did he post a photo of his face cuts? If so then I have just seen his post.

• RMweb Premium

Heavens above!  50 taken to hospital and six feared dead.

Croydon Tramlink is a very popular system and at the time the accident happened the tram would have been well filled with passengers. In that respect we could be lucky the figures are not higher.

• RMweb Premium

As there is a BTP investigation in progress regarding the cause I suggest this thread is locked until further notice.

While it makes life easy, I'm not sure that is necessary just yet. Commentators so far have been careful to stick to, the reported facts (or in one case first hand witness statements). As long as speculation as regards cause does not happen then I see no problem in keeping the thread open for the time being.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Why? People always suggest this. Its an internet forum, it makes no difference unless someone libels someone.

The problem is more the speed at which untruths or opinions can can rapidly be presented as 'known facts' - the Sun being a prime example in a murder case where an innocent person was subject to all sorts of harassment and unwanted attention due to media speculation.

The problem is where do you draw the line? We have some first hand whiteness testimony on this thread and there are pictures of the accident site, weather reports readily to hand elsewhere. There are also plenty of websites devoted to Tramlink which throw light on how it is operated and the technical kit it uses so in one sense you can form a personal opinion. However what if that 'opinion' gets picked up by the press and used to say 'this is what happened' - which then has implications for any legal proceedings etc.

Ultimately however the position of any forum depends on how the owner which it to operate. The RMWeb management team have shown good judgement in the past in this issue and I'm sure that will continue.

• RMweb Gold

Why? People always suggest this. Its an internet forum, it makes no difference unless someone libels someone.

While it makes life easy, I'm not sure that is necessary just yet. Commentators so far have been careful to stick to, the reported facts (or in one case first hand witness statements). As long as speculation as regards cause dies not happen then I see no problem in keeping the thread open for the time being.

We have already had this week a clear demonstration of what can happen when information is released.

The BBC and RedTops are already putting out uncorroborated statements at least one of which BTP have refused to confirm. 

When commenting on any incident we need to stick to known facts rather than speculation and social media comment, however close to the scene.