Class 73 visitors to Edinburgh

drewn

Just travelled up from London to Edinburgh and I couldn't help but notice there are two Class 73 locos stabled at Craigentinny sidings.  They seem to be painted in a dark green livery ,with no obvious lettering or logos.

The question is, do 73's normally venture this far north and indeed why are they here?  (That,s two questions!)

• RMweb Premium

Just travelled up from London to Edinburgh and I couldn't help but notice there are two Class 73 locos stabled at Craigentinny sidings.  They seem to be painted in a dark green livery ,with no obvious lettering or logos.

The question is, do 73's normally venture this far north and indeed why are they here?  (That,s two questions!)

They are being used on Scottish Sleeper trains heading north from Edinburgh.

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85704-re-engineered-class-73/page-2

They were supposed to operate in pairs to work the diesel legs of the three sleepers with them supposed to enter full service last year, however reliability has been dire plus they apparently don't like getting wet. The result has been that the sleepers are being hauled by class 66 with the 73 inside as a very expensive ETHEL. Things got so bad last week that on the Inverness sleeper the 73 was substituted by a 47, still in ETHEL mode.

• RMweb Premium

They were supposed to operate in pairs to work the diesel legs of the three sleepers with them supposed to enter full service last year, however reliability has been dire plus they apparently don't like getting wet. The result has been that the sleepers are being hauled by class 66 with the 73 inside as a very expensive ETHEL. Things got so bad last week that on the Inverness sleeper the 73 was substituted by a 47, still in ETHEL mode.

They are getting homesick and want to return to their home range ;)

As the Southern railway was want to advertise,  head south for "Winter Sunshine Holidays" :good:

(see various 1930s publicty material)

however reliability has been dire plus they apparently don't like getting wet.

That's actually quite amusing - although probably not for the person who has to schedule a replacement.

I wonder why?  They must have seen their fair share of rain in their days on the Southern.

Are these the re-engined variants?

As I understand it the wet isn't a factor, but the engine and alternator combo can't currently run at full load reliably due to timing issues, and they are currently being cycled through for attention in this department.

Problems with water ingress have been experienced as they've gone through carriage washing plants, which is why they've been left to get noticeably filthy in comparison to the stock they haul and the 66s.

Aberdeen has now seen regular workings from:

Class 09,  https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmc1947/5758927637/

Class 33,   https://www.flickr.com/photos/curly42/6249436040/in/photostream

and now Class 73s.  

Who would have thought??

I went into the Cross a few months back and saw a 33 there, a 73 in the sleeper at Pitlochry.  As you say, who would have thought?

Surely a crazy idea cobbled together as the TOC that won the contract didn't have anything suitable ?

It seems a stupid idea to have what is now termed as a bi-mode locomotive having all the equipment to work on electric but are about 500 miles from that source of power

Isn't this a 'benefit' of what is called the competitive privatised railway? :no:

It seems a stupid idea to have what is now termed as a bi-mode locomotive having all the equipment to work on electric but are about 500 miles from that source of power

There's a hell of a lot of grandfather rights that come with the 73, notably they are already passed for push-pull operation plus the recent rebuild gives them a 15+ year lifespan which I don't think you can say of any of the other ETH equipped Type 3's out there. The ability to run off of third rail is probably least important these days in any case (I don't think any of the 73/9's are working day to day on third rail at the moment, and wasn't one of the NR ones commissioned initially without the capability). What they do have is an efficient, emissions compliant prime mover and a bonus ability to work on the juice when available.

Archived