Lincoln & District Model Railway Exhibition

Webbo

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Unfortunately during the journey down to Newark we were involved in an RTA with a large lorry .Both Dianne and I are ok but the layout received what on first sight appears to be only cosmetic  damage but will require a full test session to ascertain if this is the case.

The car however may prove to be a write off ! We had only just changed it 8 weeks ago and all can say is thank god Skoda Yetis are built like tanks.

We are really sorry not to make it to the show and hope everybody has an enjoyable  and safe weekend

Gary and Dianne

Very sorry to hear this. At least you are both OK but it must have been a nasty shock. Sorry about the Skoda write-off too. Friday pm traffic can be merciless. Will miss seeing Glengarry Tramway this time.

Take care,

Dava

It's been a really enjoyable first day at the Lincoln show with Deeping Lane. The new card and board based operating system has worked really well.

Well done to Alan, Nigel and the rest of the Lincoln Club for putting together an excellent show. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow.

Excellent new venue, notwithstanding the rather inconvenient location for residents of the club's own county! Smooth level floors, lots of skylights, and good barriers provided at a genuinely useful distance (for layout and stock protection) from the fronts of the layouts, rather than uselessly close to the baseboards as seems to be the case in certain shows.

Now if only that by-pass road that we are not allowed to mention any more could be as clear of traffic for Friday afternoon set-up as it is before 9.30am or after 5pm at a weekend, we'd all be deliriously happy. It was still totally constipated at 6pm Friday.....

Well done to Lincoln Club for a 'jolly good show'.  Spent a couple of highly enjoyable hours there this morning: liked the layouts; liked the venue; got some inspiration; and yet again, came away with a few bits and pieces I never knew I needed!  Highly recommended - hope tomorrow also goes well.

Best wishes,

Paul

I visited the show on Saturday.  I found the venue light and spacious, a welcome contrast to some well-known leisure centres.  Parking was on the grass but although there was rain during the day it was insufficient to make the ground boggy.  Some would have chosen the courtesy bus in its Lincoln Corporation plumage, 

Impossible to miss, as if anyone would wish to do so, was Diesels In The Duchy, located right by the entrance and with the jovial crew on good form.  Nearby, undergoing its baptism of fire, was Yan's Tredethy Wharf, a neat P4 essay set on the Bodmin and Wenford line.  I particularly liked the trees, which on many layouts are way too short.  Some might have thought them too close to the track but I disagree and in any case they did not carry Restricted Clearance plates.  Next for inspection was Sutton in Ashfield Town [OO], once the pride and joy of someone's loft and now in the care of the Elizabethan MRS and with a good selection of representative trains supplied by members.  It clearly struck a chord or two with visitors who were able to spot where Asda is now.

Those were the three layouts which prompted my impulse decision to make the journey up the A1 but there were other goodies to view.  Among them were LNEandBR's Deeping Lane Depot, a compact TMD with an overbridge sorting a yellow J94 and some 56s with an assortment of sound chips.  I am still wary of steam locos with sound but a Coal Tank on Helmthwaite and Chapel Lane [7mm] sounded convincingly asthmatic.  Trams were represented by Loughley Town [OO] with a satisfyingly tortuous track plan and a rather odd configuration of Superquick cinemas with two grand entrances and, I suspect, a very intimate auditorium.  More than one layout supported sported flashing blue lights which have probably supplanted inspection saloons as cliche of the month.

The selection of trade was good and varied with satisfyingly little junk on sale.   Catering was also good if a tad highly priced: £1.80 for a cup of tea was painful compared with 60p at Biggleswade last week but my pasty, chips and beans hit the spot.

Chris [edited for silly typo]

• RMweb Premium

Enjoyed visiting this morning, trouble-free parking & access. A relaxed & friendly show in a hall with wide aisles & plenty of light. Plenty of high quality exhibits not least the 3 x Gauge 0 with Hassall Harbour Bridgr, Oxenhope & Helmthwaite. Bargains to be had too, esp old books dept.

Recommended for next year.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

I reckon that this years show has really put the Lincoln Club up a notch or two in the league table of exhibitions. Some lovely modelling and interesting trade. I went to the catering a couple of times but there were a few people waiting to be served so I decided to wait until I got home.

A most enjoyable few hours.

I was a little amused to see a trophy on Hassall Harbour Bridge. I really like the layout and enjoy the procession of varied trains of different prototypes and eras. Nothing wrong with that sort of thing on a layout that doesn't pretend to be tied down to one period or region.

But to award it the trophy for the "Most prototypical layout"? Judged by that consideration, it was probably the least prototypical layout there, with trains from every area of the country and every period from pre-grouping to blue diesels, running through a fictional scene.

Not that it bothers me greatly. It just raised a smile and made me wonder what the judge/judges had been taking.

Here's to next year.

This show was over-priced and not very good. The cafe food was not good too.

£6 for 26 layouts including some very good ones.

Do tell us where you would get a better value day out; feeding sparrows from a park bench with a tin of Special Brew at your side?

Welcome to the forum, I hope your next post is a bit more positively intentioned.

Evening all 

Hassell Harbour Bridge back home in the hut , already to reassemble in the near future , layout ran well , and all loco's behaved themselves , and e very good venue we all enjoyed the weekend , and met some nice people , looking forward to returning in 2019 with our colliery layout .

Thanks for a great weekend . 

On behalf of the Lincoln & District Model Railway Club i would like to thank all those involved over the weekend ....Yes we had one or two...(OK quite a few!!) issues but a new venue who would not have.....the positives out way the negatives and with the feed back we have already we will aim to improve and hopefully get it better for next year....

I am assured the Burglar alarm will be fixed for next year too!!!

Nige.....

I went on Saturday and throughly enjoyed it. Good spread of layouts, variable trade, and an excellent venue. Didn't try the catering, but it did seem odd to drive down not just one but two runways.

I'll try to go again next year.

Had you made yourself known, either at Tredethy Wharf, to the person who previously (I gather) tried to put you in touch with me, or at Leeds Central to yours truly, you would have found that I had with me some of the items that I'm told you wanted a while ago.  J6?  Are any bells ringing?

Archived