After building a few Loco kits there is always the problem of soldering frames, bearings etc together and keeping everything lined up and square. there are a few jigs on the market but i was looking around for something that was reasonably priced, there is nothing available.

If your only building one or two loco's now and again this might be of interest to you.

I have come up with this idea. I had one made and, yes it works.

post-13496-0-64201300-1478788080_thumb.jpg

post-13496-0-72568900-1478788101_thumb.jpg

More information is available here. I originaly posted in my layout forum but got to thinking it might have been the wrong place 

https://cpineroad.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/announcement.html

• Like 4

I had thought about weather to make the pins tapered or with say, a turned one mm shank but opted for the tapper as i wasn't sure if all kits have a certain size hole in the connecting rods when you first cut them out of the etch. It wouldn't have taken much to drill the con rods out i suppose but not sure if all crankpins are the same. 

Thanks for the feedback brossard.

Colin

Good Grief. you lot

You Post something about a chassis jig. Certain people seem to like "wood" and others "gets it"  and something about "Matrons" Calm down now.

It's typical though, I asked lots of people about a chassis jig other than the Hobby Holidays one ( i just can't justify the cost) and nothing, zilch then you find out about the JPL jig oh well happy days.

Colin   

....I asked lots of people about a chassis jig other than the Hobby Holidays one ( i just can't justify the cost) and nothing, zilch....

There are quite a few jigs - it just depends on whether you think them necessary and / or whether you want to spend money. As far as I can remember, there's:

- yours (metal)

- Poppy's Woodtech (wood)

- JPL (metal)

- Hobby Holidays (metal)

- Avonside (metal)

....or London Road Models / Perseverance combined with a couple of try squares and some graph paper (poverty-spec option)

The only reason why I have the Hobby Holidays one is because it turned up cheap on eBay one day and, even after coming all the way from the seller in Western Australia, it still worked out less than half the cost of buying a new one here.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

There are quite a few jigs - it just depends on whether you think them necessary and / or whether you want to spend money. As far as I can remember, there's:

- yours (metal)

- Poppy's Woodtech (wood)

- JPL (metal)

- Hobby Holidays (metal)

- Avonside (metal)

....or London Road Models / Perseverance combined with a couple of try squares and some graph paper (poverty-spec option)

The only reason why I have the Hobby Holidays one is because it turned up cheap on eBay one day and, even after coming all the way from the seller in Western Australia, it still worked out less than half the cost of buying a new one here.

I new about the Hobby Holidays and the Avonside jigs

You got a bargain there.

I'm tight. I was trying to find something simple that does the job for under 80 quid lol.

Colin

• Like 1

I'm tight. I was trying to find something simple that does the job for under 80 quid lol.

A few 12" lengths of silver steel is all you need - a darn sight cheaper than £80 then spend the money on other tools that you will use more often.

http://www.cherryclan.com/2015/08/jinty-chassis-build/

IMHO chassis jigs are a luxury item if you have money to spare, personally there are dozens of other tools to spend my money on before I'd even consider a chassis jig.

A few 12" lengths of silver steel is all you need - a darn sight cheaper than £80 then spend the money on other tools that you will use more often.

http://www.cherryclan.com/2015/08/jinty-chassis-build/

IMHO chassis jigs are a luxury item if you have money to spare, personally there are dozens of other tools to spend my money on before I'd even consider a chassis jig.

The draw back of this very economical jig is that you cannot hang the coupling rods off the outer ends to ensure they match the wheel base of the chassis.

Gordon A

• Agree 1

The draw back of this very economical jig is that you cannot hang the coupling rods off the outer ends to ensure they match the wheel base of the chassis.

Gordon A

It's not a drawback because you don't need to do that anyway - earlier in the post I show how I set out the horn blocks in the frames with the coupling rods as guides. That is something you want to be doing before assembling the chassis. It's much easier if you do one step at a time rather than all at once on the chassis jig. Once you start putting the frames in the chassis jig you should already have set out the horn blocks at the right wheelbase.  

I've got a Poppy's version if anyone wants it. I bought it in a moment of mental aberration as I already have a Hobby Holidays version! You can have it for the cost of the postage.

First to PM me with their address gets it.

Sandy

Sorry for the thread hi-jack. The Jig has gone to a new home in Derby. Thanks to all who responded.

REgards

Sandy

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We all have different ways of doing things. Any method, any way, if it works for you then it's good.

This is just an idea i came up with, it works for me so thought i would have a few made.

It was well received at a recent 3mm meet

https://cpineroad.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/announcement.html

Edited by pushpull33