Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Reverend Chris Burch

cobbler

He was due to attend our show at Weston yesterday. So saddened and shocked to hear the news earlier in the week of his sudden passing. Chris attended our show last year with his layout, Howling Moor Dam. He loved to chat to our visitors and encouraged the children to "have a go" on the layout - handing out certificates to those who took up the offer. He made many a young child happy that day.

Chris always had a smile and a kind work. A very jolly and friendly chap who is such a sad loss. My condolences, and those from the staff at Weston School, go out to his family and friends. We put a tribute to him in our show guide yesterday and a number of visitors signed a condolence card which will be sent off to his family in due course.

• 2 weeks later...

post-13358-0-75176100-1479766947_thumb.jpg

Chris was a good friend, and was one of the nicest people you could hope to meet.   He was also an excellent layout operator, and a valued member of the team for both Hawthorn Dene and Furtwangen Ost.  Indeed he was one of the very small number of people who could run the tramway on Furtwangen Ost with very few mistakes and talk to people while doing it, no mean feat of concentration.

Geoff Warren and I attended his funeral in a packed Leicester Cathedral this afternoon, representing the Hawthorn Dene team and Bingham MRC.   It quickly became clear that Chris was held in very high esteem in the church and in the community.  A wonderful person who I will miss immensely.

Les

Archived