Strathmuir 4mm 1988 Scottish Region

87023Velocity

Very nice Simon, always good to see your crane getting a run out.

Hi Alex, thanks, yes the crane will certainly be on the roster for Strathmuir.

We have movement for the first time in quite a few years. Managed to connect the Lenz System upto the branchline to test a Bachmann class 08 which has been fitted with lights and sound. Its a bit out of era with the hinged doors so may sell on or just try and swap the body over as it was bought second hand.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 2

Was delighted to find this topic recently. I remember reading an article on it years ago. I was drawn to it because of the period it was set in. The mid 80s in Scotland had a range of interesting deliveries along side the classic blue grey.

A 104 has been on my Bachmann wish list for a while, my modelling skills are not currently up to scratch to do one myself. I remember the all over blue livery sets at Waverley in the mid 80s. Strathclyde 107s and 101s were present but as you say so we're Blue Grey. They tended to be in the majority. There were also some with the black window surround version on some of the Blue Grey ones.

Have added the topic to my follow list and am sure I will enjoy reading more about Strathmuir.

Was delighted to find this topic recently. I remember reading an article on it years ago. I was drawn to it because of the period it was set in. The mid 80s in Scotland had a range of interesting deliveries along side the classic blue grey.

A 104 has been on my Bachmann wish list for a while, my modelling skills are not currently up to scratch to do one myself. I remember the all over blue livery sets at Waverley in the mid 80s. Strathclyde 107s and 101s were present but as you say so we're Blue Grey. They tended to be in the majority. There were also some with the black window surround version on some of the Blue Grey ones.

Have added the topic to my follow list and am sure I will enjoy reading more about Strathmuir.

Thanks, regards the 101's, yes could do with a blue/grey for certain. Also the 2 which were done for Strathmuir in Strathclyde have NRN radio pods which looking at the pictures were not fitted in our timeframe, so may look at removing them.

Cheers

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well finally after Xmas, quite a bit of DIY and other commitments, finally managed to unbox and position another baseboard. There are 5 scenic boards to Strathmuir, so 2 more to go. This one again just needs a light hoover to get rid of dust and cobwebs. I am hoping that with a few hours of re-arranging the garage, the baseboards for Dallam could be stored underneath Strathmuir. Here is a picture showing the 3rd board located in position.

post-6834-0-58105100-1489150410_thumb.jpg

A lone passenger looks out towards the rolling hills and mountains whilst 08761 patiently ticks over waiting for its next duty.

post-6834-0-22399700-1489150521_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 8

Thanks for the comments guys. Was having a sort through some layout stuff earlier and found this..

post-6834-0-16491700-1489180194_thumb.jpg

Its the December 2001 BRM, cannot believe it was that long ago and the stock was mainly Lima powered! I feel old. I remember the photo session well with Steve Flint, it was a very enjoyable day.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 5

Missed out on this one! What is the track plan like, as I can not work out the right hand side of the layout from the pictures. Great layout!

Thanks for the comments, If I get chance tomorrow I will look at knocking a plan up. Hopefully all 5 boards will be set up in the coming weeks so all pointwork and where things are located can be seen.

Cheers

Simon

It is a bit cold in the garage tonight to do any real work on the layout plus I feel knackered! So I got some stock out to keep my attention focused. Since its last show, lots of additional stock has been bought rtr or kit built.

Here we see 47120 RAF Kinloss roll through Strathmuir with a Speedlink working consisting of 7 VEAs, 2 OBA's with taupalin, 1 VEA and finally a single OTA.

post-6834-0-22250000-1489780731_thumb.jpg

Looking the other way. 08761 is about to shunt the Salmon back into the yard.

post-6834-0-92991100-1489780768_thumb.jpg

The VEAs are the Parkside kits, the OBAs are Bachmann with taupalin covers added, the HEA is Replica and the OTA from Cambrian.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 6

Thanks, the OBAs were done by first gluing some random shaped blocks into position to represent the load. Tissue paper (the type used in gift wrap or craft making)was cut to a rough size and then trimmed as required. Think I then glued it to the wagon, once the glued had dried, several coats of clear shrinking dope were applied, this softens the tissue initially allowing some manipulation. Once dried it hardens the tissue which can then be painted. The ropes were just small pieces of cotton.

post-6834-0-42934500-1489835326_thumb.jpg

I used pictures on Paul Bartletts excellent wagon site as reference to work from.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

The latest loco for Strathmuir is nearing completion. 08730 has had the majority of the transfers added tonight, just need to order some Haymarket depot logos- thought I had some in doh! Here it sits with another Haymarket 08, 08761.

post-6834-0-32196900-1490907493_thumb.jpg

Once its been varnished it will receive some light weathering to tone things down.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 5

Thanks for the comments guys, there is more stock in the pipeline for Strathmuir. Below are 4 of the 7 locos I have got planned to tackle over the coming months.

post-6834-0-12059400-1491217917_thumb.jpg

from left to right, 37153 Large logo blue but with all black around windscreen and black grills  as seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/roddymacphee/14096014958/in/photolist-ntBL9E-nL7zRZ-gBG6p1-nGjXcz-g9nDWp-9GjCc6-9PJdxk-cgo6kG-ajf8Gy-nHkmUh-mMVVWe-bCw9pC-jP6vyi-nG3eQV-gdDSU3-nFwQN2-dEQLw1-aeL9fs-dG1uUM-9RcY6M-cdg8xh-dfudcJ-nEUP79-ciNgvf-nEK5C7-dkHaEd-cR26Vw-a8CtSP-fqSC1K-dWEXHW-cZR28d-bnZY36-dTNBcu-dWEXvJ-a8CtSH-5wqAuV-SxCGek-dKQrSF-btKFmp-nGhwY7-daqdPb-aNdVLP-a8CtSB-dtgX2T-6fTmLb-aDRAQN-8MjF3U-8Mf3tn-ddZYLd-daqdGt

37413 Loch Eil Outward Bound in Large logo

47597 Large Logo blue with Scottie dog

20148 in BR Blue - this will be paired up with 20066 again in BR Blue.

The 37's and the 47 will need another brief dip in Superstrip to remove some small areas of paint which is remaining.

Also got a 26 and another 47 which will be heading for the Superstrip soon - these are both being finished in Redstripe Railfreight livery as 26026 and 47322.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 2

• 4 months later...