Tri-ang Railways, Tri-ang Hornby and Hornby Railways "Smoking" Locos.

Ruffnut Thorston

Tri-ang Railways and Tri-ang Hornby "Smoking" Locos.

Tri-ang Railways first marketed Smoke Unit fitted model locomotives in 1961, using patented technology from Seuthe in Western Germany.

These early smoke units were brass tubes, with a heating element inside. A wire from the bottom of the element was wired in parrallel to the loco motor, so the amount of voltage, and therefore heat was governed by the speed control setting.

The "Smoke Pipe" (which is a very thin tube, a bit like a hyperdermic needle) takes the vaporised oil (smoke) up and out of the top of the unit, and the chimney.
The smoke was expelled by the smoke pipe in "puffs" that were not synchronised to the driving wheel speed, and continued for a short time after the loco was stopped.

These Smoke Pipes can get blocked. (3 Amp Fusewire is said by Tri-ang to be the right diameter to rod out a Smoke Pipe, or a strand of electic wire can be used) There was a special Tri-ang Railways tool as well.

Removing the Smoke Pipe from Seuthe type units and cleaning it every so often is a good idea, though you have to be careful to get it the right way up putting it back!...

The angled end is the bottom end...

The Smoke Pipes can also fall out of the unit if the locomotive is turned upside down! So be aware!

New locomotives had a label over the chimney to stop this happeneing in transit...

Seuthe are still trading today, and make a wide variety of smoke units for locomotives, and buildings, etc.

They also still make the Smoke Oil...

post-12119-0-77290400-1479066261_thumb.jpg

In 1964, the Seuthe units were mainly replaced by the introduction of Synchrosmoke. (Earlier known as various spellings, Synkro-smoke, etc...)

This was Tri-ang Railways own design, and was designed after seeing a Mr. Fry of Ireland's smoking locomotives. He wanted a good up-front payment  to disclose his design, so the "men from Margate" went away and came up with their own design.

This used a cast metal box with a piston in a cylinder, driven by a gear wheel by the motor worm, to push air into the box.
The box contained a wadding material, and on top of this was a heating element, that looks a little like a fuse, with a metal conducting cap on each end.
The element was wired in parrallel to the loco motor, so the amount of voltage, and therefore heat was governed by the speed control setting.
The forced air expelled the smoke in "puffs" that were synchronised to the driving wheel speed by the gear drive.

Complicated to describe, but it works!

There were two main "Box" castings" Long" and "Short".

The long one was used in the 4-6-2 locos, with different holes in the lid for the different chimney positions.

The short one was used in the tank locos, and the B12 4-6-0, with different lids and extensions.

The smoke oil has come in a variety of plastic tubes and sachets over the years. The last Hornby issue I have seen was a small plastic "pot" with a screw lid (R.8111) Hornby earlier supplied Smoke Oil as R.521 in a white Sachet.

post-12119-0-62793800-1479066245_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-84781600-1479066275_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-03045700-1479066296_thumb.jpg

For the ultimate in originallity... the Tri-ang stuff can be found for sale on the "net"....

Until the Hornby "Pot", the various packs of Smoke Oil had the part number R.521, including the sachets sold by Hornby to go with the later Smoke fitted locos that use a plastic smoke unit, including the 4-4-0s (Schools, Midland Compound, County, Hunt) and the GWR 2-8-0 Goods Loco.

These plastic units are prone to overheat if run without oil for any length of time...

These used a syringe with a plastic spout to transfer the oil to the unit.

Some Tri-ang Railways locomotives used a real glass "pipette" as a filling "funnel"

Others came with  a plastic funnel. Various colours were used.

post-12119-0-24682000-1479066311_thumb.jpg

Most of the tubes of smoke oil were marked, in various colours:-

Tri-ang Seuthe Smoke Pat. Made in W. Germany.

Some Examples of Seuthe Type smoke unit fitted locomotives.

R.52S B.R. "Jinty" 0-6-0 Tank Locos (1961-1963)

R.53S B.R. Green Princess Royal class 8p 4-6-2 Tender Locos (1961-1962)

R.54S "T.C. Series" Transcontinental Pacific Tender Locos.(1961-1963)

R.59S B.R. Class 3MT 2-6-2 Tank Locos (1961-1963)

R.150S B.R. B12 4-6-0 Tender Locos (1961-1964)

R.251S B.R. Lined Black "Deeley" Class 3F 0-6-0 Tender Locos (1961-1964)

R.258S B.R. Lined Maroon Princess Royal class 8p 4-6-2 Tender Locos (1961-1963)

R.259S B.R. Britannia Class 7 4-6-2 Tender locos (1961-1964)

R.350S B.R. Class L1 4-4-0 Tender Locos (1961-1963)

R.354S "Lord Of The Isles" 4-2-2 Tender Loco (1961-1962)

R.356S B.R. Battle of Britain Class 4-6-2 Tender Locos (1961-1963)

R.358S "T.C. Series" "Davey Crockett" Western 2-6-0 Locos (1962-1965)

R.651S "Rocket" locomotive. (1963-1966)
etc...

Some Examples of Synchrosmoke fitted locomotives.

R.51S G.W.R. 0-6-0 Pannier Tank Locos (1972)

R.051 G.W.R. 0-6-0 Pannier Tank Locos (1973-1974)

R.52S B.R. "Jinty" 0-6-0 Tank Locos (1964-1972)

R.052 B.R. "Jinty" 0-6-0 Tank Locos (1973-1975)

R.52AS L.M.S. Maroon "Jinty" 0-6-0 Tank Locos (1970-1973)
R.52RS L.M.S. Maroon "Jinty" 0-6-0 Tank Locos (1970-1973)
R.54S "T.C. Series" Transcontinental Pacific Tender Locos.(1964-1970)

R.54NS "T.C. Series" Transcontinental Pacific Tender Locos. "1542" late production models with 8-wheel "Gresley" "Flying Scotsman" Non Corridor Type tender fitted with Exhaust Steam Sound (1971-1973)

R.59S B.R. Class 3MT 2-6-2 Tank Locos (1969-1972)

R.150S B.R. B12 4-6-0 Tender Locos (1964-1969)
R.150NS N.E. Black "7476" B12 4-6-0 Tender Locos (1976-1978)

R.251S B.R. Lined Black "Deeley" Class 3F 0-6-0 Tender Locos (1964-1965)

R.259S B.R. Britannia Class 7 4-6-2 Tender locos (1964-1970)

R.259NS B.R. Britannia Class 7 4-6-2 Tender locos with Exhaust Steam Sound (1971-1972)
R.258S B.R. Lined Maroon Princess Royal class 8p 4-6-2 Tender Locos (1964 & 1969)

R.258S L.M.S. Maroon Princess Royal class 8p 4-6-2 Tender Locos (1970)
R.258NS L.M.S. Maroon Princess Royal class 8p 4-6-2 Tender Locos (1971-1974)

R.356S B.R. Battle of Britain Class 4-6-2 Tender Locos (1964-1969)
R.377S G.N.S.R. Brown "Jinty" 0-6-0 Tank Locos (1970-1972)

R.452 L.M.S. Maroon "Jinty" 0-6-0 Tank Locos (1973-1974)
R.558S Battle Space Khaki "Jinty" 0-6-0 Tank Locos (1966-1967)
R.661S “Old Smokey Set” Weathered B.R. Lined Black "Deeley" Class 3F 0-6-0 Tender Locos (1965)
R.653S "T.C. Series" Continental "Prairie" 2-6-2 Tank Loco (Red frames and wheels, two domes) (1969)

R.866S L.N.E.R. Green B12 4-6-0 Tender Locos (1970)
R.866NS L.N.E.R. Green B12 4-6-0 Tender Locos with Exhaust Steam Sound (1971-1974)
R.869S S.R. Battle of Britain Class 4-6-2 Tender Locos (1969-1972)

etc...

From the instruction leaflet supplied with Synchrosmoke (Post 1964) smoke fitted models, 1969 edition...

Tri-ang Hornby

SYNCHROSMOKE
(British Patent No. 961630)
OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS

Pierce the narrow end of the capsule of smoke oil with a household pin.
Place the filling funnel in the chimney of the locomotive.
Hold the capsule over the funnel and squeeze the capsule so that seven or eight drops of smoke oil pass through the hole in the cover of the smoke generator beneath. DO NOT OVERFILL.

It is important that the fluid enters the generator and does not run over the body or chassis of the locomotive.
In the case of locomotives R.259S, R.356S, and R.869S the reservoir is longer and four or five more drops may be added, if so desired, in order to give a longer run between refills.

Blow gently into the top of filling funnel and then remove it from the chimney. Replace pin in oil capsule.

Start the locomotive and run in the usual way.
After the train has been in motion for a few seconds, smoke should appear and continue to be discharged from the chimney, while the model is travelling, until the supply of oil in the generator is exhausted.
Best results will be obtained if the locomotive is run at a good speed.

Additional supplies of smoke oil are available under reference number R.521.

MAINTENANCE

If, after a period of use, the smoke generator fails to operate when supplied with smoke oil, the element may need replacing.
Elements are available as spare parts under reference number X.549.
To fit an element, the body of the locomotive should be removed from the chassis. Next the lid of the smoke generator must be lifted off. In the case of models R.259S, R.366S and R.869S the screw in the centre must be withdrawn to release the lid, but in other models it is only a press fit. The screw (where fitted) retains the complete smoke generator in position on the chassis and care must be taken not to dislodge the unit whilst the screw is removed. For locomotives R.59S and R.653S the complete top section of the smoke unit must be removed.
The cartridge-type element may be lifted out and the replacement inserted in its place.
Any filling material, which may have been removed with the old element, should be repacked below element level before the new element is inserted. The element should be well pressed down into position, to make good contact at both ends, before refitting the lid. In R.259S, R.366S and R.869S the screw and the brass tag eyelet must be replaced correctly, before refitting the body.

SPARE PARTS

Spare Parts may be obtained either from Tri-ang Hornby model railway stockists or direct from the factory.

Made in Great Britain by ROVEX TRI-ANG LIMITED WESTWOOD, MARGATE, KENT

These days, spare parts can be found on Ebay, and other places...

The last "Hornby" smoke unit was made from plastic (!) and is the one that can cause most damage if run too long without oil. The unit itself can melt, and the heat can damage the body.

The other Tri-ang Units are made from metal, and are more robust.

The Seuthe type can get hot, as the whole unit gets warm.

The Synchrosmoke units are more likely to burn out the element (Part X.549 which is removeable) if run too long without oil.

So, if you are worried about running without smoke oil, you can wire a switch in the loco to turn the smoke unit off...or with the Synchrosmoke unit, remove the element...

Cleaning the oil out is not really neccesary, as the Synchrosmoke unit has a fibre wadding for the oil to soak into...

Smoke Oil for these units is available from various retailers. (Including Gaugemaster who are Seuthe Stockists...and Peter's Spares who also stock some American Oils, "Mega Steam" Brand  I think...)

One Brand Name to look for is Seuthe, who made the Smoke Oil used by Tri-ang Hornby for many years (Sold as R.521).

Old Stock Smoke Oil, R.521, is also sometimes available on Ebay...

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
housekeeping, spelling, etc...
  • Like 4

Very informative! Thanks!

I could never see the point of this gimmick, as the 'smoke' emitted looked more like a Diesel exhaust than the clouds of white steam from the real thing (to my eyes at least). It also added a considerable amount to the cost of the locomotive. On finding my latest treasure has one, my immediate reaction is attention from my trusty wire cutters. I've seen too many models damaged either by the oil or the heat from the unit. It gets very hot without oil I find.

I have a second Bachmann USRA 0-6-0 switcher in the post, which probably is smoke fitted (the first one was). The last one was my Britannia*, which surprised me by puffing happily when I got her home. It didn't last very long! The smokebox was already warm after only a very short run, so the unit was speedily disconnected. I think the 'pipe' has fallen out, though I didn't see it go.

There's an incomplete synchrosmoke unit stashed away somewhere....

* First series R259S

EDIT

I forgot that IIRC there is a bit of a smell problem too - important if like me you suffer from complaints about the noise (???? :scratchhead: :O ) of the trains. How can a train possibly make noise?

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

You have a point, but it was and is an entertaining gimmick and I have a few Triang locos that are maintained as runners with fully functioning smoke generators. As noted, it is fairly easy to disable the generator to avoid the hassle of keeping it charged in most cases. I find that the earlier Seuthe units seem to be better at 'smoking' but of course the Synchrosmoke one puffs as well. However, to get a decent emission really requires models to be run quite a bit faster than is realistic - so for example Jinty ends up flying around to get up a good head of steam.

Talking of diesels, it's interesting to note that the Hornby Class 25 (dating from 1977) was engineered to take a Seuthe smoke generator - there is a hole in the roof and a moulded rebate in the glazing unit, although none of this was ever referenced in the loco instructions. 

Edited by andyman7

Yes, I remember that the unit certainly works better with the supply at around 12v. Most Tri-ang models are at risk of flying off the track at this sort of voltage - they are doing something of the order of 130 scale mph by my reckoning. I seem to recall that the oil doesn't last very long at that rate, but it is a long time since I played with one.

I think (again I may be wrong) that Lionel introduced models with this feature quite early on in the States. (I must NOT collect 0 gauge American trains, I must NOT....)

(I have a Timpo 'Wild West' train* (really it's my daughter's) and an odd caboose from Hong Kong or similar.... ENOUGH!)

*An odd thing - the train is 0 scale or thereabouts - the track is compatible with Tri-ang Big-Big, apart from the colour, but the figures with it were standard cowboy size.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One of my friends managed to melt the smokebox on a 4-4-0 by isolating only one end of it. While the tender didn't move, the smoke unit kept running.

I disconnected the smoke unit in my Schools when I ran out of fluid; now I can't figure out where the wire hooks up to.

One of my friends managed to melt the smokebox on a 4-4-0 by isolating only one end of it. While the tender didn't move, the smoke unit kept running.

I disconnected the smoke unit in my Schools when I ran out of fluid; now I can't figure out where the wire hooks up to.

Any help? (one wire will go to to the 'hot' side of the wiring from the pickup to the motor and the other to chassis - polarity doesn't matter.)

http://www.hornbyguide.com/service_sheet_details.asp?sheetid=65

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

At the time the first smoke units were introduced, Triang trains were definitely aimed at the toy market, and still were when the Synchrosmoke units came along. They just added to the play value of these toys. By the time the 4-4-0 units appeared (which was quite a few years after Synchrosmoke was discontinued, inevitably due to costs), Hornby were aiming a little higher, and these units worked quite well and were obviously cheaper than of old. As with many things, these were all "of their time". At least they can be disconnected if not required.

I've still use a few myself, kids used to really like them, found that engines really needed a good 5 to 10 minutes of continuous running but not that fast to get them to really smoke, for many years used boots baby oil thus tended to produce a white smoke.

Only downside is they need powerfull controllers as engines need about .8-1.0 amps continuous

Still great fun

Yes, I remember that the unit certainly works better with the supply at around 12v. Most Tri-ang models are at risk of flying off the track at this sort of voltage - they are doing something of the order of 130 scale mph by my reckoning. I seem to recall that the oil doesn't last very long at that rate, but it is a long time since I played with one.

I don't know how long a filling lasts with extensive continuous running but certainly with the Synchrosmoke units (where the oil is retained in the wadding) once they have a good soaking the oil can be retained seemingly indefinitely - I've bought long unused locos that start producing smoke on the workbench before I've got round to checking the generator 

Was the 25 the only Hornby diesel designed to take a smoke unit

Yes, it was the only one

That's because the Smoke unit has it's own pickup for the 'opposite' polarity of the loco; the instructions state that the loco should not be left on live track on their own without the tender for this very reason

• RMweb Premium

Lots of detail about the Leeds Model Company smoke generators here http://www.dutchhrca.nl/lmco.htm

Did they copy the idea from Lionel?

K

My Lionel from 1953 has a piston in the smoke unit activated by a piece of wire that runs to in front of the crosshead. The crosshead pushes it forward which pushes the piston into the smoke unit. It returns by gravity on the piston.

• Like 1

My latest loco arrived yesterday!   :)

Bachmann USRA  0-6-0 in what research on the net proved to be 'Erie' livery* as no. (#?) 119. She runs beautifully - smooth and quiet but there was, as expected a tell-tale cherry-red glow from the chimney. Removal of the body revealed a typical Bachmann split frame chassis and a square tank with a heating element inside nestling between the frames. The latter was speedily removed. It was only held in by fine wire, so no problem there. Maybe I'll use the unit in a factory chimney or something (there it would be quite realistic!) or maybe not....

:offtopic:

This was quite a good eBay find. She came with an odd tender, which just happens to be a match for another loco I have and I had a spare tender (from a Lima 0-4-0) which is fine for the 0-6-0. I just need to manufacture a suitable drawbar and replace the dummy front coupling with a Kadee.... Lettering the tender can wait.

* I could find no record of the Erie having any USRA 0-6-0s, so she will probably end up as ATSF. They didn't have any either, but never mind. (Rule 1 applies - My line is ficticious, but if it had really existed they would have needed extra stock for it and might have bought one....)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

Thank you for the post on the smoke units incredibly informational, I  have a triang Britannia with a smoke unit in and love it to bits. With the unit though I have replaced the original wading with cotton and instead on the standard smoke oil i use glycerine this makes a rather good show even at low speed so the engine doesn't need to be run at mach 4  

My latest loco arrived yesterday!   :)

Bachmann USRA  0-6-0 in what research on the net proved to be 'Erie' livery* as no. (#?) 119. She runs beautifully - smooth and quiet but there was, as expected a tell-tale cherry-red glow from the chimney. Removal of the body revealed a typical Bachmann split frame chassis and a square tank with a heating element inside nestling between the frames. The latter was speedily removed. It was only held in by fine wire, so no problem there. Maybe I'll use the unit in a factory chimney or something (there it would be quite realistic!) or maybe not....

omis

Running her yesterday, having made up a temporary (famous last words!) twisted wire drawbar, I noticed that her chimney is slightly off round - obviously smoke unit related damage. It's not serious, but shows I was right to remove the wretched thing. I've have to check my other one.... (Make that two factory chimneys!)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago, I had a Tri-ang "Lord of the Isles" with a Seuthe smoke unit.  It was not very realistic in the way that the bluish white smoke slowly wafted from the chimney, the unit emitted small drops of oil which landed on the locomotive and, in time, in the case of "The Lord of the Isles", left the paper overlays on the splashers looking as if they had been dipped in oil.  If the locomotive was run for a while, unless you had the windows open, the room ended up with a rather strange smell, which I am finding rather difficult to describe.  And, as I recall it, the oil didn't last very long.

Getting away from railways for a minute, the Minic Motorways Foden steam truck was also available with one of these units.

Many years ago, I had a Tri-ang "Lord of the Isles" with a Seuthe smoke unit.  It was not very realistic in the way that the bluish white smoke slowly wafted from the chimney, the unit emitted small drops of oil which landed on the locomotive and, in time, in the case of "The Lord of the Isles", left the paper overlays on the splashers looking as if they had been dipped in oil.  If the locomotive was run for a while, unless you had the windows open, the room ended up with a rather strange smell, which I am finding rather difficult to describe.

Just imagine that they could have reproduced the smoke to 'scale' for 4mm, with correct smell and smuts - I'm sure the novelty would have quickly worn off and you would have wanted to open the windows after just a short while!

• Like 1

On the plus side, you would have got realistic weathering very quickly.

The 1950s 'Clean Air act' certainly cleaned things up I can remember the Albert Hall having a thick layer of grime removed (for the first time since it was built?} in the sixties. They did the Albert Memorial at about the same time, but that looked better in black (as in 'less conspicuous').  (It was considered one of the ugliest structures in London, but that was before they built today's horrors - its own very expensive refit (to the original design) didn't improve it either - even the Victorians had rejected this as OTT)

All IMHO.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 1957 green Princess Elizabeth. About seven years later a model shop in London fitted the original type of smoke unit to it. Originally the screw to attach the body to the chassis went through the chimney but they fitted a new screw behind the buffer beam. I spent many happy hours playing with the model.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The smoke units were fun but unrealistic. Just as well really as a realistic quantity of smoke would have us coughing and spluttering while we make a hasty exit from the model railway room to get some fresh air.

Edit; Oops similar point already made above.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Running elderly X04 motors quickly also creates smoke effect in locos without smoke units, especially with a little oil on the commutator!

Dava

That is interesting Robin as the screw through the chimney version obviously did not have the hole and slot for the unit and holding clip.  Fitting the screw on top of the buffer beam is how all later Britannia and Princess's were made, I wonder if they just swapped the chassis?

Garry

It would have been nice if they did. It was the original chassis with solid driving wheels. After 14 years of faithful service I threw away the Princess Elizabeth following an unsuccessful attempt to replace the driving wheels with see through spoke wheels.