City scene

Hi,

Making steady enough progress with my 00 loft layout after having to retrace my steps and get the fundamentals of insulation and related matters in the loft sorted out, however artistic flair and an eye for authenticity are not amongst my few talents.

Trying to create a city scene which is on a raised level above the main line track work and has a size of approx. 4000mm length x 230mm depth, I am using a lot of Metcalfe kits as that is the limit of my skills in that area, problem is I don't want to just keep replicating the same sets of shops/cinema/bank/department store  but do want a realistic set of buildings or a diorama depicting what would be in and around a main line through station with five platforms.

I am tempted to try and create a series of streets (short lengths of course) between the various parades of shops in order to give a sense of depth rather than just a continuous run of buildings in a long straight line.

The most distant end of the site will be inaccessible so I was thinking of maybe some type of city park leading to high street shops etc. perhaps even if anyone can recommend any layouts which might resemble what I am after and I can search those.

Although this is a continuous run layout the trains disappear and reappear at various points as I have tack laid outside of the viewing/operational position so you do not see the train chasing itself.

I realise that a diagram or photo's would be a great assist but I am trying to master the means of posting that type of stuff on here.

You seem to have some useful ideas - I think you should have more faith in your ability and try a bit of scratch building.  I like Metcalfe kits but I agree that they often need mixing with other makes or the occasional ready-to-plant item, especially when you want to fill a 4 metre length.  If you use plastic sheet and plastic cement, scratch building is quite easy - as long as you can measure reasonably accurately and can use a sharp craft knife.  You can get away without painting if you clad your plastic frame/base with the appropriate brick or stone faced plastic sheeting.  You could also use Superquick kits if you are happy with card kits - they would provide some variety among the Metcalfe ones.  Sorry I can't point you in the direction of appropriate, existing layouts.

If you try scratch building, I think you will become quite excited by what you can achieve.

Harold.

You seem to have some useful ideas - I think you should have more faith in your ability and try a bit of scratch building.  I like Metcalfe kits but I agree that they often need mixing with other makes or the occasional ready-to-plant item, especially when you want to fill a 4 metre length.  If you use plastic sheet and plastic cement, scratch building is quite easy - as long as you can measure reasonably accurately and can use a sharp craft knife.  You can get away without painting if you clad your plastic frame/base with the appropriate brick or stone faced plastic sheeting.  You could also use Superquick kits if you are happy with card kits - they would provide some variety among the Metcalfe ones.  Sorry I can't point you in the direction of appropriate, existing layouts.

If you try scratch building, I think you will become quite excited by what you can achieve.

Harold.

Thanks Harold,

I have used Superquick kits many years ago but for me the Metcalfe far outshine them in terms of quality, just my opinion of course, to be honest if Metcalfe did a bigger range of kits I would happily use them to suit my purposes.

Probably didn't explain clearly in my original post that the idea of "streets" would to me mean a number of not very long buildings running at 90 degrees to the main high street thereby crating a better sense of depth with openings between the main shopping parade to create these "streets" and corners, this would allow for scale vehicle to be sited along those also.

The thought of just a continuous set of buildings running parallel to the railway lines would not do the job in my minds eye, perhaps someone may get what I am trying for and steer me towards a couple of layouts with the same set up that I can use as a reference but not to copy , I vey much doubt if the idea is new or novel.

My experience of entering many cities by train is seeing the backs id buildings rather than the fronts. For example coming into leeds from York you see the backs of shops with occasional glimpses of the main shopping streets as the line passes over lower briggate.

However very few kits model the backs of these larger buildings. Scalescenes do a range of five which could be used as a starting point

Archived