Korea to develop double deck high speed train

DavidB-AU

KOREA Railroad Research Institute (KRRI) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Hyundai Rotem and Korail in Seoul on November 10 pledging to collaborate on a project to develop Korea’s first double-deck high-speed train.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/high-speed/korea-to-develop-double-deck-high-speed-train.html

As Korean HS rail is based on the French TGV, why not buy the French TGV Duplex instead? Case of NIH syndrome?

The KTX-I was based on the TGV Réseau with aerodynamics based on the AVE. The KTX-II/KTX-Sancheon was almost entirely a Hyundai Rotem product, as were a couple of one off experimental trains. The next generation KTX-III (6-12 cars with distributed power) is more than just another indigenous HS train, it's intended to compete for high speed train orders in other countries including in Europe. This double deck train, which looks like a slightly taller KTX-III, it probably a natural extension of this.

Cheers

David

• RMweb Premium

Korea has a highly developed and very capable engineering industry (which Samsung batteries aside) has a track record of delivering some world class products. So I can understand why they want to develop their own high speed trains and why they see the potential to win a slice of the global market for such trains. China is already marketing its high speed trains quite aggressively and Japan has been actively promoting their high speed technology to export markets. I think in Europe high speed rail is often viewed through a euro-centric prism (which is understandable and it'd probably be more notable if that wasn't the case) which can lose visibility of the global market and the high speed capabilities outside of Europe.

Korea has a highly developed and very capable engineering industry (which Samsung batteries aside) has a track record of delivering some world class products. So I can understand why they want to develop their own high speed trains and why they see the potential to win a slice of the global market for such trains. China is already marketing its high speed trains quite aggressively and Japan has been actively promoting their high speed technology to exportarrow-10x10.png markets. I think in Europe high speed rail is often viewed through a euro-centric prism (which is understandable and it'd probably be more notable if that wasn't the case) which can lose visibility of the global market and the high speed capabilities outside of Europe.

Fully agree with that, I think in all these years of reading about and using some Korean product or the other, the only fault I've heard of and seen many memes about is the new Samsung S7. Other than that is only quality products. A Korean HST would be wonderful.

Any Korean model trains?

Any Korean model trains?

Depending on the era, there are plenty of off the shelf American, European and Japanese models that could be kitbashed or simply repainted. But for a country that has a long history of manufacturing model trains for other markets they don't seem to make any of their own.

Cheers

David

• RMweb Premium

That is a little surprising as Korean companies produce probably the finest model trains in the world, or at least they did. From the early 80's Korea dominated high end brass and almost all US outline brass was made by companies like Ajin and Samhongsa in Korea. The same Korean companies made most of the models sold by high end European brass sellers too. These days that market isn't what it was and a lot of the brass that is still made is now produced in China but the Koreans are still active at the very top end of the market. And model hobbies in the form of plastic kits are pretty popular in Korea.

Archived