kes

This is absolutely beautiful to look at.

It's amazing the detail that can be achieved in N and there's plenty in there but it's not too cluttered.

I'm very impressed with this. Do you have any video footage?

Cheers,

John

Hi John - no video footage yet as it has been crated up ready for our Goathland Show this weekend, but I might get time at the show to run a bit off. Many thanks to everyone for the kind comments - this one has been 18 months in the making.

The layout was well received by the public and other exhibitors, so I am a happy man. A big thanks to Peter, my brother in law who spent most of the weekend operating the layout, whilst I recovered from playing late night gigs! And a big thanks to Paul and the Whitby team for asking me to bring it along.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Kes, 

Cannot believe I haven't come across this thread before. What an absolutely fantastic layout, it oozes so much atmosphere and gives such a realistic representation of the location. Great stuff and cannot wait to see it in the RM. 

David

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad you cleared that up Mr Wright, I mean Smith :jester:.  Seriously, I am really looking forward to seeing your beautiful little layout in the RM on Thursday Kevin.

All the very best,

Brian.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sandy Bay was very well received at the Pickering show resulting in some further bookings and enquiries for next year. It worked faultlessly all weekend, running on the 12volt sealed battery. Maggie did a sterling job as "second man". 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been cleaning all the loco and stock wheels a head of the coming Shipley show. It is amazing how much crud had built up after the last exhibition. It reminded me of the old Triangle plastic wheels where you had to scrape the crud off with a screwdriver.

• RMweb Premium

A bit late to the thread but having seen the article in the RM (and kept it) and coming across you at Shipley on Sat can I just say how impressed I was with the layout, simply lovely and you've definately caught the feel of that section of the coastline, so much so that I came back for a second look before I left.

One question, why did you keep the traverser quite short and not straddling the baseboard joint, was it just to keep it permanently fitted to just the one board or because it could have maybe fouled up with harbour backscene section ?

I would have complimented you on the day ....but you were deep in conversation with the "secondman" ....didn't like to disturb.

Kind regards,

Ian.

Thanks for the kind comments Ian. The traverser is deliberately that length because the run around loop out front will not accept trains any longer than that. It is permanently fitted to one board, which helps with alignment problems. Exhibition halls vary in temp and humidity throughout the day, and you would be surprised by how much boards swell and change size.

• Like 1

We had a fabulous time at the Shipley Exhibition. The layout worked perfectly all weekend, and we only had one engine failure, traced to a loose blanking plug which was quickly sorted when we got home. A big thank you is due to Bill and John and the team at Shipley, and to Maggie who operated with me all weekend, and to Paul and Nicola, who took over on the Saturday and sent Maggie and me out for the dinner break together.

IMG_20190915_093850.jpg

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, kes said:

We won the Trevor Jones Trophy for the Best Visiting Layout as awarded by the other exhibitors. Many thanks guys.

IMG_20190915_150623.jpg

Congratulations, very well deserved in a show with some really top layouts.

Enjoyed our little operating session, it's fun to operate but keeps you on your toes sending the right train out and keeping the balance right 'out front'.

• Like 1