kes

• 4 months later...

Sandy Bay will be at the following exhibition during 2020. Tings 12/13 Sept. It should also be in BRM with photos by Tony Wright during the middle of the year.

Edited by kes
Elsecar cancelled by organisers.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello Kevin

Can’t believe I haven’t discovered this gem of a layout before now. Fantastic work - especially your harbour and harbourside buildings.  I have a 1950s BR(NE) carriage print of Sandsend station and seafront on my study wall and your layout just brings it to life.

I’ve scrolled through the thread so apologies if I’ve missed this, but what are the overall dimensions of the layout?  EDIT Ignore that! Just noticed the reference to the May 2019 RM feature so I’ll buy a digital copy of that for the plan and details.

You have sparked thoughts of cribbing your concept for a clone also based in the north east in N, but this time the Maine coast in the NE USA... 

best, Richard

Edited by RichardT
Because I read the previous posts more carefully!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the kind comments Richard.Your idea for a NE U S A layout sounds interesting, I will look out for that. Sandy Bay is in the July 2020 BRM with photos by Tony Wright.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, kes said:

Thanks for the kind comments Richard.Your idea for a NE U S A layout sounds interesting, I will look out for that. Sandy Bay is in the July 2020 BRM with photos by Tony Wright.

Not only that but the front cover too!

Sandy.JPG.56c1af2a0fab0858427e6b250d6e3608.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Even though I have several articles in my file of Sandy Bay it was worth the cover price of the latest Model Rail mag to see it once more, good luck for your weekend outing at Tings. :good_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Got my copy of Model Rail yesterday, and fell in love with Sandy Bay instantly! Not only for the level of detail and the simple, yet superbly integrated track layout, but for the clever scenery that draws the attention to the harbour area away from the railway. Adds more than a bit of realism to the scene. And the bridge is a fantastic little piece of art! Wish I could be able to attend TINGS. You've got a new fan now. :P

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, westhighlandline said:

Got my copy of Model Rail yesterday, and fell in love with Sandy Bay instantly! Not only for the level of detail and the simple, yet superbly integrated track layout, but for the clever scenery that draws the attention to the harbour area away from the railway. Adds more than a bit of realism to the scene. And the bridge is a fantastic little piece of art! Wish I could be able to attend TINGS. You've got a new fan now. :P

I saw the layout in the flesh, so to speak, a few years ago and was so taken with it's assets as you describe that I built two slightly larger baseboards for a potential Mallaig line version of the design which I think could look superb if executed well. This idea may not now come into reality as I'm currently trying to incorporate them into a larger 'home' layout design and they may morph into something entirely different but if I feel that I'm ever in a position to commit to the exhibition circuit then I would certainly return to this particular base design.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Maggie and I have had a fantastic  1st day at Tings with the layout, which has performed perfectly. We have not had a break due to the continuous request for info ref the build and location. I hope we have increased people's interest in the North Yorkshire coastal region. Tomorrow is another day, so we will vary the stock a bit.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Glad that you've had a successful and enjoyable W/end, afraid that I was on nights and couldn't make it. The 'full layout' photos look superb and again show off what a lovely scene you have created, I can hear the seagulls calling and the sea rolling in from here ! :good_mini:

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sandy Bay, Maggie and I, will be out if hibernation at the BRM Doncaster show on the 12/13th Feb 2022. The plague looks like it might have subsided by then. Later this month we shall put the layout up in the lounge for testing and any remedial work required. See you in February.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The layout has been set up in the kitchen (!) for 2 days whilst we have checked the wiring, cleaned the track and done any small scenic repairs. We have also checked all the locos and stock for running issues. The only concern is the Farish dmu which slows down randomly. I have traced this to an internal fault in the motor, so I shall be remotoring this with a 16x8mm tramfabriek motor.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

Maggie and I have just returned from exhibiting Sandy Bay at Doncaster, which was a very busy and enjoyable show. Everything on the layout worked like clockwork, which when you consider all the controls are mechanical, is probably a good description! The remotored class 108 dmu behaved impeccably, being much smoother quiter and slower running. The 16x8 coreless motor came from Tramfabriek, I had to invent the mounting for this one. It consisted of carefully glueing the Farish front mount to the motor and filing two notches in the lower rear chassis to clear the end of the motor. I had many requests for layout info at the show, so I suspect we will get a good few invites in the future.

Edited by kes
  • Like 8

• 4 months later...

Sandy Bay has just returned from an outing to the EBOR group exhibition at Heworth near York. A very freindly exhibition run superbly by the EBOR modellers. It was awarded the cup for the layout most enjoyed and voted for by the visiting public. Thanks to everyone who saw it and voted for it. The next outing for it is 15/16 Oct at Hartlepool. See you there!

IMG_20220703_144304799.jpg

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 3

I have just completed another marathon 3.5 hours of reinstalling missing photos to this thread. There may be some mistakes and errors, and some url's referenced by other people may not work. These are beyond my control. I have done what I can on this one. So far I have reinstalled the photos on 5 threads. Only one more to go!!!!......... 

Edited by kes
reinstalling missing photos
  • Thanks 4

• 2 months later...

http___sdrmweb.co.uk_Scarborough_Show.php.pdfSandy Bay will be dragged out of hibernation, dusted off and tested ready for the next outing which will be to the Carlton Railway Society show at Howden High School, Derwent Road, Howden DN14 7AL on Sat/Sun 25/26 March.  It will then make an appearance at the Scarborough Model Club show at Scalby Community Hall, Scalby YO13 0RA on Sat/Sun 15/16th April. Busy time for exhibitions this year!

Edited by kes
Revised
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...