kes

The last few days I have been busy with the shredded green foam, the pva, and some old trees and seam foam. The basic idea is becoming reality now, and the colours and tones are being changed as I go along.

The ballasting is going to be the last job I do. In the past I seem to take forever removing stray bits of flock etc from the ballast, so I am doing it the other way around this time. The rails and sleepers will be painted with grime, then the tops wiped clean. The ballast will be crushed cinders applied dry, then soaked in a pva water mixture in the time honoured fashion.

I am also redesigning the drive mech for the bus, as now the road has a coat of paint, the friction means I need to move the magnet nearer to the road surface. It should now be a self contained unit on the base of the roadway, so the whole lot can be lifted out.

DSCF2410.JPG

DSCF2411.JPG

DSCF2412.JPG

DSCF2413.JPG

DSCF2414.JPG

DSCF2415.JPG

DSCF2416.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The last actions before the layout was moved back into the garage for Christmas, was to add the steps down to the beach from layers of thick card, and add the beach using polyfilla mixed with pva adhesive to stop it cracking.

This was then painted with various match pots (£1 each from Homebase - other stores are available). The sea was added as a layer of smooth artex and pva, shaped whilst it was wet, then painted with dark green/black/brown/blue match pots. The trick is not to over do the size of the waves/ripples, and not to use too much blue - our seas tend to be more brown/green/grey then blue, especially up here in the North East!

When everything was dry, the tips of waves were highlighted with white acrylic paint, then the whole lot given a few coats of varnish.

The break between the boards is hidden by the sea break which I installed along the edge.

Now the boards are back together in the garage I can see what is is beginning to look like. The big retaining wall is going to be broken up by a multitude of coloured beach huts, and victorian lamps which will hide the joints in the wall sections. I have a suitable etched railing which will make the prom railings, and a few suitable signs to put on the walls. I suspect progress will now slow for a couple of weeks for obvious reasons!

DSCF2419.JPG

DSCF2420.JPG

DSCF2421.JPG

DSCF2422.JPG

DSCF2423.JPG

DSCF2424.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 6

The groyne is a brilliant way of disguising the board joint, it works better if the two sections of sea and beach don't match up.

Thanks Paul -  I am going to do a bit this afternoon with colouring the left hand sea.

The sea is now coloured and a few coats of varnish have been added - got a nice reflection of the bridge in the harbour!.Shades of 1950's photos.

DSCF2430.JPG

DSCF2431.JPG

DSCF2432.JPG

DSCF2433.JPG

DSCF2434.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 9

Hi Kes,

As you can see by the number of "Like"s I've just posted, I have only just stumbled across your layout thread.  Whilst N gauge is not really my thing, anything NER or ex NER is!  This will be a cracking little layout when finished and very well "placed" in the area of coastal North Yorkshire.  Excellent stuff - now following.

Regards,

Brian. 

• Like 1

Thanks again for all the kind comments. Work will recommence after New Year when I can bring the layout back into the kitchen ( with Maggie's permission!). The bus drive mech is going to be computer printer 6mm wide toothed belt and pulleys so the friction in the system is seriously reduced.

Half of the layout is now back in the kitchen, so I have made a start by adding the planking on the viaduct using 10 thou plasticard, scribed to look like planks, and stuck down with evostick.  Once this was dry it was painted with a mixture of grey/ green/brown/beige acrylics - in fact anything to hand!  The harbour needs many more coats of varnish to give it depth. I think the colour is OK, perhaps a little too clean for the North Sea. The railings on the bridge will not be added until I have installed the buildings, roads and walls in the village, as otherwise you can be certain I will manage to damage them whilst leaning over.

Maggie and I are going to get on with the buildings next, then we can move them around until we are happy with them. The ground surface will then be made up to the buildings. There may be a kipper smokery in there somewhere.

DSCF2435.JPG

DSCF2436.JPG

DSCF2437.JPG

DSCF2438.JPG

DSCF2439.JPG

DSCF2440.JPG

DSCF2441.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

Great looking Sandsend type viaduct, especially in your chosen 2 mm scale.  This is my own poor attempt in 4 mm which seemed to take forever to build.

post-1115-0-06420400-1514908302_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this excellent little layout develop.

Regards,

Brian.

Great looking Sandsend type viaduct, especially in your chosen 2 mm scale.  This is my own poor attempt in 4 mm which seemed to take forever to build.

attachicon.gif20171220_171423.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this excellent little layout develop.

Regards,

Brian.

It looks perfectly good to me! and mine took forever to build as well.  Regards, Kevin.

• Like 1

The last few days have not seen much progress, as I have been very busy singing and playing, so needed to recover a bit! I have been painting the rail sides with a mixture of grey/brown/black which visually reduces the code 80 rail section quite nicely. The next job is my least favourite in any scale - ballasting. This is going to be black crushed cinders layed dry, sprayed with water, then fixed with PVA and water mix applied with a pipette, with a little washing up liquid added to break down the surface tension.

Kevin

Edited by kes

My word! I've just seen this after being pointed in its direction by my dad, and I have to say it really captures the feel of the area. The sea looks particularly 'right' and North Sea-ish!

I built a representation of Fortunes for my 4mm layout 'Whitborough' using measurements gleaned from Google Maps and various photos I could find online. It's the sort of building that just sort of looks right almost anywhere and I'm looking forward to seeing your version!

Ballasting is a chore indeed, but thankfully, once it's done it really makes a big difference and can be pretty much forgotten about!

Looking forward to further updates

Cheers

J

I have now finished the ballasting, and freed up the points, removed the stray ballast from check rails etc, and tested a few items of stock along the track. I have also been loosely positioning the beach huts etc so I can see what it might look like.

The ice cream van has moved further along the prom looking for business!

The platforms and road surfaces now need toning down and painting the correct colours.

DSCF2443.JPG

DSCF2444.JPG

DSCF2445.JPG

DSCF2446.JPG

DSCF2447.JPG

DSCF2448.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 7

I have had considerable trouble trying to make a reliable operational drive mechanism for the bus on the road, and have decided to remove it completely for now, as it is becoming a distraction. The tight loops at either end are the problem, also drive wheels which are supposed to be aluminum, but I have found they are sintered with an iron content so they are magnetic! I do not want to go to the expense of the battery powered options available. I will be redesigning the road layout to look more "normal", and if I want to have another go in the future, then it is all on one lift out road section anyway. Now back to the buildings.............

We have just returned from exhibiting our compact n gauge shunting layout "Matlock Road" at the Pontefract show. A very enjoyable weekend was had by all, very well organised, and an excellent mix of layouts and gauges. Paul and Nicola came along to visit the show, and as Paul (Worsdell Forever) offered to operate for an hour at lunchtime, Maggie and I were able to scarper for a while!  Thanks Paul and Nicola. I am currently reorganising the shed so I can get "Mickleover" out of its boxes and set it up on wall brackets, with "Pawson's Pickles" underneath it. I can then get "Sandy Bay" under that and stand "Matlock Road" on top of it. I think I need a bigger shed!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The last few days have seen me adding the station fencing, benches, lamps and signs, and Sandy Bay Garage is coming along nicely.

Much more to do - station signs - telephone box - advertising posters - timetables - and some people.

DSCF2469.JPG

DSCF2470.JPG

DSCF2471.JPG

DSCF2472.JPG

DSCF2473.JPG

DSCF2487.JPG

DSCF2468.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 6